Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA vs. Canada Gold Medal Hype Thread (Game CHAT)

Ghost of

What did I say that was wrong? That this game DOESN'T have as much riding on it as that game did? Or that this would be the biggest accomplishment for USA Hockey since 1980? Care to dispute either point I actually made?

I wonder about reading comprehension around here sometimes. But if I said 30 years from now this would still be talked about, feel free to quote me.

Well then why even bring it up and state the obvious? Of course it is the biggest accomplishment SINCE, as it is the only gold medal since.

Other than that fact....

Well then why even bring it up and state the obvious? Of course it is the biggest accomplishment SINCE, as it is the only gold medal since.

Other than that fact....

A win today would have significant longevity. Killing the giant twice, on his beanstalk? It's not like four years from now, or 16, this will be forgotten, unless we become the force in international hockey between now and then....which I don't see happening.

Typical American response.... thinking the whole world revolves around you :)

Look at the Williams sisters. Sure, Venus is older, stronger and has more experience. But there's no big sister/little sister crap going on. Serena just kicks her butt in the finals.... because she's a better tennis player... that's all there is to it :)

All that you say is true, but my response was about why I think some Canadians seem to have a little extra oomph when it comes to a rivalry against the U.S.

I do think it's a sibling rivalry kind of thing (Mind you, if we're only talking about Hockey then Canada is the big brother)

When the Canadian mogul skier was roaring down the hill I was standing on my bed, jumping up and down cheering him on as if he was a blood relative. If we don't win I always want Canada to do well. They seem to be cheering for anyone to beat the US in anything. Thanks Canada.

Like I said. And the US is NOT favored in every sport. Especially hockey and more the underdog in the winter Olympics. Thanks again for all the northern support.

Oh, I agree. But don't deny that there is no rivalry. The Boys maybe are arch-rivals, but we still have a rivalry with the Eagles. ;)

I would think if the Americans win today... it might fuel a rivalry.

But I couldn't say for sure.... that the finals tonight wouldn't be any different (ie. hype) if we were playing Finland or Latvia. I think Canada just wants hockey gold regardless of the opponent.

But I suppose if you were to ask Canadians if you had a *choice* to beat anybody for the gold medal... it would be Russia and then the USA.... and then everybody else.. in that order.

It was clear from the first game that Canada had more talent. especially on offense. However, I think thru the first 2 periods at least the Americans out-skated them and hustled a lot more.

I don't see Canada making that mistake again. But- to DH's point, hockey is one of those sports where all it takes is a few bounces to even out a huge disparity in talent. So it's anyones game.

well the US has caught up to us in Hockey, maybe because your population is ridiculous and you actually fund your athletes? But our team finally wised up and I think that while it will be a good game, the Canadians will win.

Lolol! Oh really, is that what they tell you in Canada? That the USA funds its athletes? I wish. My husband wrestles for Team USA and we don't get paid Jack.

The Canadians on here seem nice and all the Canadians I have as friends are really nice, but I didn't know we had so many Canadians that dispised us so bad. Waht did we do to Canada?

Because we protect them? Not saying they don't do anything....but by and large we cover their butts. Then you have the fact that the Candadians spent over a $100 million to "Own the Podium" this Olympics but got beat by the Americans in the overall medal race.....

Regardless, with all that smack talk thrown out there :D. I have a feeling Candida takes this game...

Like I said. And the US is NOT favored in every sport. Especially hockey and more the underdog in the winter Olympics. Thanks again for all the northern support.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=7321025&postcount=748

pjfootballer wrote:

Well, this one's over. 3-0 Crapada!

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=7321058&postcount=753

PokerPacker wrote:

there are many reasons to not want Canada to win. Don Cherry is my main motivation. I wanna see that xenophobe have a mental breakdown.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=317321&page=20

Slacky McSlackAss wrote:

**** Canada :(

---------------------

Well, we appreciate all the southern support too! :) And I'm going to use these 2 posts as a representation of ALL Americans. I'm crazy like that.

Then you have the fact that the Candadians spent over a $100 million to "Own the Podium" this Olympics but got beat by the Americans in the overall medal race.....

When was the last time Americans DIDN'T win the overall race?

I don't think any Canadian could or would EVER expect to finish first in overall medals. Not only the average Canadian... but even the Canadian athletes participating in the Olympics.

If you read any quotes from Canadian participants... you'd understand that even the athletes have begrudged that committee for placing those kinds of expectations on the athletes. In fact, the athletes have even come out PUBLICLY and said that the committee never, at any point, even CONSULTED with the athletes to see what kind of training they would prefer, or equipment, etc.

So nobody truly cares about what a few guys/gals in business suits hunkered down in luxury suites.... who are supposed to be representative of Canadian athletes... has to say.

Which is consistent with the fact that Canadians, on average, are ecstastic with the current results overall. Despite the fact that the "Own the Podium" president came out a few days ago to inform Canadians that we weren't going to meet *our* goals..... because no one listened or cared.

Lolol! Oh really, is that what they tell you in Canada? That the USA funds its athletes? I wish. My husband wrestles for Team USA and we don't get paid Jack.

http://www.america.gov/st/washfile-english/2006/February/20060209164553jmnamdeirf0.9387018.html

There's a lot of fundraising and corporate sponsorship.

I'd imagine that Canadian athletes enjoy some of those same benefits.... but the general gist is it isn't at the same level as Americans.

"Retailer The Home Depot, for instance, has assisted individually hundreds of athletes by offering them jobs where they work 20-hour weeks for a 40-hour salary, with flexible schedules that afford time off for training and competitions. Thirty-three of the 2006 U.S. team’s 211 members are Home Depot employees."

That would NEVER happen in Canada :)

Zoon,

I think there have been serious issues with YouTube of late. I think those videos are still on the site (otherwise, it would bring you to the notification page) but I noticed ever since I downloaded Mozilla's accursed 3.6 that YT is hit and miss and every day, there will be HOURS worth of time where I cannot even access YT but if I go to IExplorer, it comes up just fine!

We haven't won the overall medal count in a LONG time. Don't know what you're talking about, DH

Sorry, in checking my facts.... it was the summer olympics where the USA has won the medal count for the past 3 olympics (could be more, I didn't check any further back).

And in the winter... it's been 2 second places and a 3rd place finish in medal counts.

Poor baby.... if that isn't complete world domination then I don't know what is :) Come on... that's as close as it gets.

I'd imagine that Canadian athletes enjoy some of those same benefits.... but the general gist is it isn't at the same level as Americans.

"Retailer The Home Depot, for instance, has assisted individually hundreds of athletes by offering them jobs where they work 20-hour weeks for a 40-hour salary, with flexible schedules that afford time off for training and competitions. Thirty-three of the 2006 U.S. team’s 211 members are Home Depot employees."

That would NEVER happen in Canada :)

meh- every country has their advantages and disadvantages. Like Canadian youth hockey and support- I find it amazing the US can even field a competitive team.

And every Canadian being from a cold weather climate, etc.

Same is true of Germans and Austrians and Swiss / etc. where every child born in that country is within a very short distance of a bobsled track / alpine events / etc.

And nothing compares to the Chinese- the most annoying country in the olympics by far- who make their olympic hopefuls full time employees/royalty because they see the games as a penis measuring event with the west. Funny to me that they still lose despite this :)

Archived