Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA vs. Canada Gold Medal Hype Thread (Game CHAT)

Ghost of

The Op in the second link is what I'm talking about. I don't get it. When the Canadian mogul skier was roaring down the hill I was standing on my bed, jumping up and down cheering him on as if he was a blood relative. If we don't win I always want Canada to do well. They seem to be cheering for anyone to beat the US in anything. Thanks Canada.

My country isn't as emotional as your country....really????

True or false.

Is it possible that some countries and citizens are more nationalistic than others?

Are there more rabid football fans of certain teams.... than others?

Because if you answer the truth to both of those questions... than you'd realize how wrong you are.

Yes, it is possible than certain groups are more passionate about things than others.

Are Canadians more passionate about hockey than Americans? Yes.

But to think that the country would have a "meltdown" if the team lost the Gold Medal game... is ludricrous.

The Op in the last link is what I'm talking about. I don't get it. When the Canadian mogul skier was roaring down the hill I was standing on my bed, jumping up and down cheering him on as if he was a blood relative. If we don't win I always want Canada to do well. They seem to be cheering for anyone to beat the US in anything. Thanks Canada.

As much as Canadians would deny that this is the case (yes I'm looking at you Die Hard :silly: ), this is absolutely true.

Anyways, with that said, I don't think any two countries in the world are as close as USA-Canada.

Oh, and Go USA. :) (I seriously doubt we win twice. But like someone else pointed out- all the pressure is on them)

There's the bitterness I was talking about.

Maybe the next time someones world comes crashing down around them we should tell them to call Mexico.

There's that self-importance and aggrandizing I'm talking about.

You live on a boat dude. You don't even have neighbors. No one's asking for your help. You've got your own problems... just like the rest of us.

As much as Canadians would deny that this is the case (yes I'm looking at you Die Hard :silly: ), this is absolutely true.

Damn the rest of the world for cheering against the favorites who dominate every sport.

Because Americans are impervious to that type of behaviour. Because I don't see that type of behavior when it comes to the Cowboys or Yankees right?

Did you check out the Men's Olympic hockey thread? To a man.... it was I'm going for the USA and ANYBODY who plays Canada. This was before the games even started.

Why is that? Because Canada's the favorite and the big bad bully?

And now you want to begrudge Canadians for feeling the same about other sports where Americans are the favorite?

You can't be serious.

Damn the rest of the world for cheering against the favorites who dominate every sport.

Because Americans are impervious to that type of behaviour. Because I don't see that type of behavior when it comes to the Cowboys or Yankees right?

Seriously.

Dam right! To hell with Canada! USA USA USA USA USA USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

this is a joke, btw

But to think that the country would have a "meltdown" if the team lost the Gold Medal game... is ludricrous.

I didn't imply Canada would have a meltdown.

Neither would the US.

The average person in the US barely knows how to spell hockey, much less ever seen a game, or know the rules.

My only point being, we wont mourn the loss any longer than the average canadien.

My only point being, we wont mourn the loss any longer than the average canadien.

And I wouldn't expect you too! :) Which is why I've never said as much.

It's a freakin' hockey game. People won't care about the results by TOMORROW. Win or lose. The games are over tonight.

Sure, you're cheering for your country... and it's a good excuse to watch a hockey game on a Sunday night :)

But the only people who really cares about the results tonight are the players.... and Canadian GM Steve Yzerman (who assembled this team and will be responsible for the results).

Why is that? Because Canada's the favorite and the big bad bully?

And now you want to begrudge Canadians for feeling the same about other sports where Americans are the favorite?

You can't be serious.

You do realize this isn't the reason we were rooting against Canada, right? It has NOTHING to do with them being the favorites. It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that we, as Captials fans, despise Crosby with a fever that runs hotter than hell. **** that guy and any team even remotely associated with him. Add in the fact that they snubbed our beloved Mike Green and you have a fanbase that hates the Canadian hockey team akin to our hatred of the Cowboys.

And I wouldn't expect you too! :) Which is why I've never said as much.

It's a freakin' hockey game. People won't care about the results by TOMORROW. Win or lose. The games are over tonight.

Sure, you're cheering for your country... and it's a good excuse to watch a hockey game on a Sunday night :)

But the only people who really cares about the results tonight are the players.... and Canadian GM Steve Yzerman (who assembled this team and will be responsible for the results).

Gotta disagree here. Thirty-years later, we're still swelling with pride everytime we get to relive the Miracle On Ice. Now, I grant fully that this game doesn't have nearly the weight of that game riding on it, but to beat host Canada twice, the second time for the gold, would be the biggest accomplishment in American hockey SINCE 1980.

Dam right! To hell with Canada! USA USA USA USA USA USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

this is a joke, btw

It's all in good fun... it's just part of sport and competition. And heck, I might even watch the game too :)

It just gets stupid when people go overboard with "to hell with you... go ask Mexico for help when the Taliban blows up your airports".

You do realize this isn't the reason we were rooting against Canada, right? It has NOTHING to do with them being the favorites. It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that we, as Captials fans, despise Crosby with a fever that runs hotter than hell. **** that guy and any team even remotely associated with him. Add in the fact that they snubbed our beloved Mike Green and you have a fanbase that hates the Canadian hockey team akin to our hatred of the Cowboys.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, rince. If you held a gun to my head and told me I hate to root for the Pokes or the Pens for the rest of my life, I'd have to think about it........before I let you shoot me. :ols:

Wouldn't go THAT far. That's NOT the only reason.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, rince. If you held a gun to my head and told me I hate to root for the Pokes or the Pens for the rest of my life, I'd have to think about it........before I let you shoot me. :ols:

Its amazing how much hatred there is for the Pens when you consider they aren't even in our division. Re-unite the Patrick!!

Let's kick some Canadian ASS!!!! :ols:

As far as Canadians hating America, its a very small minority, most of them know we are the best neighbor that any country could ever have.

If anyone watched the womens hockey final, the entire crowd started USA when our hockey ladies were getting their silver medals.

Gotta disagree here. Thirty-years later, we're still swelling with pride everytime we get to relive the Miracle On Ice. Now, I grant fully that this game doesn't have nearly the weight of that game riding on it, but to beat host Canada twice, the second time for the gold, would be the biggest accomplishment in American hockey SINCE 1980.

Totally worthless comparison.

The 1980 hockey team had long time political underpinnings that may never be experienced again in americans lifetime.

If US wins, it won't be talked about 30 years later like Miracle on Ice.

USA hockey has come a long way since then. It isn't nearly as miraculous that they've achieved the finals as what you seem to believe.

In fact, it appears that most Canadians have praised the USA hockey team for it's talented club in that thread.... BEFORE the Olympics.

Perhaps Americans don't appreciate the sport enough to know how talented your team is :) Maybe Canadians just follow the sport more intently to understand that the USA was a legitimate player.

It's your fault that you underestimate your own team :pfft:

Now, I don't think it'd be a stretch to say that it would probably by unanimous that the Canadian roster has more individual talent. And if this were a best 4-7 series.... there's no doubt Canada wins it.

But in a single game elimination.... anything can happen. Penalties, injuries... or a hot goaltender (remember when Hasek won the gold for the Czechs single-handedly).

And as a Sabres fan.... I only hope Miller carries his play over into the playoffs :)

Totally worthless comparison.

The 1980 hockey team had long time political underpinnings that may never be experienced again in americans lifetime.

If US wins, it won't be talked about 30 years later like Miracle on Ice.

What did I say that was wrong? That this game DOESN'T have as much riding on it as that game did? Or that this would be the biggest accomplishment for USA Hockey since 1980? Care to dispute either point I actually made?

I wonder about reading comprehension around here sometimes. But if I said 30 years from now this would still be talked about, feel free to quote me.

Sure, there's a rivalry there. But, DH is implying we cheer against them because they are the favorites - and I just don't see it. They're rivals and the have Crosby.

Yeah.. you're not really our hockey rivals. Russia is. Sorry. :) We have a long history with them... and some historic games/moments.

The US is just beginning to emerge in hockey. Long overdue.

USA hockey has come a long way since then. It isn't nearly as miraculous that they've achieved the finals as what you seem to believe.

Actually, before the games even started, I said we'd medal when that wasn't a commonly-held opinion.

And as a Sabres fan.... I only hope Miller carries his play over into the playoffs :)

Ryan Miller was the biggest reason for the opinion above.

Now, I grant fully that this game doesn't have nearly the weight of that game riding on it, but to beat host Canada twice, the second time for the gold, would be the biggest accomplishment in American hockey SINCE 1980.

I guess so. I thought the US winning the junior world championships was pretty huge myself. Most Americans didn't even bat an eyelash or were even aware.

From my understanding.... hockey in the USA is just a notch above soccer.. when it comes to national interest :) Interesting to see this fanaticism now.

Archived