Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the last year that Classic Rock existed?

Springfield

So, today at work, we changed the station that we listen to from 107.3 (Adult Contemporary), to 105.9 (Classic Rock). This has sparked a bit of conversation between my co-workers and my friends. It's mainly about when Classic Rock actually ended.

Did Classic Rock cease to exist in the early 80's?

Is the band Nirvana (as 105.9 would suggest) a classic rock band?

Is the genre of "Classic Rock" dynamic? Will bands that are 20 years old always be considered "Classic Rock"?

Did some bands make the transition from Classic Rock to Pop Rock/Hair Band rock?

What do you say ES?

Did Classic Rock cease to exist in the early 80's?

Is the band Nirvana (as 105.9 would suggest) a classic rock band?

Is the genre of "Classic Rock" dynamic? Will bands that are 20 years old always be considered "Classic Rock"?

Did some bands make the transition from Classic Rock to Pop Rock/Hair Band rock?

What do you say ES?

In my opinion.....

-No

-Almost, give it until they've been around at least 20 years

-Yes/20 seems to be about the threshold most people use

-No idea.

Classic rock seems to be defined as "What my parents listened to." My parents were teens in the '80s (she was 17 when she had me) so most of those '80s bands like Guns N Roses, Def Leppard, Meatloaf, etc. seem like they're classic rock to me.

What's scary is the thought that one day a band like Nickelback might actually be considered classic rock, and that will offically be the day that music died.

Whitesnake.

Shut up and sit in the tree outside my window.

Doesn't it constantly change? Twenty years from now, Green Day will be considered "classic rock." When music gets old enough (and we get old with it), it becomes classic music, at least if it was good back when it was new.

That is part of my question. Part of the thread. More or less, the same argument.

Bands that are 20 years old.

To me, in the time, it is "Modern Rock". Bands that were modern rock at the time, are now supposedly now "Classic Rock"? No way.

You seem to be one of the "Classic Rock" is dynamic folks though.

That is part of my question. Part of the thread. More or less, the same argument.

Bands that are 20 years old.

To me, in the time, it is "Modern Rock". Bands that were modern rock at the time, are now supposedly now "Classic Rock"? No way.

You seem to be one of the "Classic Rock" is dynamic folks though.

Well, wait, where exactly would you play Green Day in 20 years? On whatever form of "alternative rock" stations exist at the time? They'll laugh at it. On pop stations? Obviously not gonna happen. If you don't classify Green Day as classic rock at some point, what do you classify it as when 2030 rolls around?

To me, no, the time period doesn't change.

Classic is used as the definition of timless, good, excellent. Not as an age.

Like anything over 20 years old isn't classic. I guess I got it backward before. Its a genre, not an era.

I will tend to agree.

While Nirvana is great rock music. They could be considered the "modern era" of rock. The older stuff could be considered "Classic". The new stuff that is actually good could be considered "Post Modern". It's kind of like art as far as I think about it.

Well, wait, where exactly would you play Green Day in 20 years? On whatever form of "alternative rock" stations exist at the time? They'll laugh at it. On pop stations? Obviously not gonna happen. If you don't classify Green Day as classic rock at some point, what do you classify it as when 2030 rolls around?

Like I said just now. "Modern Rock" or "Post Modern Rock".

It's not 40, 50 years old. It didn't introduce anything new to the "Classic Rock" era. It certainly did introduce stuff that was "new" to the modern or post modern rock eras though.

Bad?

:)

Like I said just now. "Modern Rock" or "Post Modern Rock".

It's not 40, 50 years old. It didn't introduce anything new to the "Classic Rock" era. It certainly did introduce stuff that was "new" to the modern or post modern rock eras though.

But that stuff won't be "modern" anymore in 2030.

Bad?

:)

Oh, now you're just asking for trouble. The worst kind of trouble, too - text-based, through an Internet message board. No sir, you don't want to fight with them demons.

But that stuff won't be "modern" anymore in 2030.

I know that. That said, is "modern art" really modern any more? It was from like the 1900's. It's old as hell. I do think that "Classic Rock" deserves to be grouped in with other genres (which are equally good) that happened after them that had an equally good sound. The sound was different though, making it a different genre.

I like them both, but "Classic Rock" can't be grouped with "Modern Rock" or hand band, or pop-rock.

I think 105.9 just decides to play good music. I was just noticing how they'll throw in some Metallica here and there.

I think 100.3 probably takes a more literal definition of Classic Rock.

Which explains why I play more 100.3 in my car. I definitely consider that station as more "classic rock". The thing is, others will describe any song in the last 20 years as "classic rock". I can't take that as truth.

Which explains why I play more 100.3 in my car. I definitely consider that station as more "classic rock". The thing is, others will describe any song in the last 20 years as "classic rock". I can't take that as truth.

Personally, I constantly switch between 100.3 and 105.9 (I wish my FM transmitter worked still :(), and I also throw in a little 97.9 when it has something good (not all that often, but sometimes) and 90.1 if the classic music piece catches my ear.

"Hey! What exactly is Classic Rock Music?

Every rock website, Ezine, radio station and fan has their own personal opinion that answers this question. My definition is simply...rock music recorded by groups and artists that began to play rock-n-roll in the early 60s through the 70s and beyond.

However, only a select group of these rock artists have achieved legend status -- check out the CRITERIA "

Archived