Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the last year that Classic Rock existed?

Springfield

I'm in the Classic Rock as a genre corner. You still have guys like Dylan, Sammy Hagar, and Government Mule, turning out really good music today. Even though the songs and albums are new, it's still Classic Rock.

On the other hand, Green Day will never be classic(to me anyway). Their music sucks today and it will still suck in 20 years. Same with Nickelback, like someone mentioned previously.

It is definitely difficult to figure out where to put a lot of the 90's bands like Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam. To me they still fall into the modern rock genre which is where you usually hear them on the radio.

Here's a link I found where you can see the top 20 songs (I believe its according to billboard mag) for each year, 80's/90's/00's etc...

Top 20 songs by year

From what I briefly looked over, I would say by 83' the end was near.

EDIT: Haha, link wont work, you'll have to copy and paste. The name of the website is "smas hitsusa.com" (without the space in between) and the filters are messing up the link :ols:

So Dream On is classic rock but Amazing isn't?

Hogwash.

Classic Rock is thought of as a genre but it really is associate with years and to be honest, 20 years is too much. I'd say more like 15.

People don't like change. To hear that Bon Jovi is as Classic as Led Zepplin may make some people's head spin. But none the less, big hair and early alt rock is in fact now classic rock.

Nirvana and Queen are both Classic Rock. GNR and CCR are both Classic Rock.

Accept it. Resistance is futile.

My personal interpretation of classic rock, is the age of the music, and neither an era, nor a genre.

So, today's rock will be considered classic in a couple decades.

And in a couple decades, the music of the 60's won't even be considered music :silly:

So, no, there's no fine line where it stops and starts, the same way you can't always describe a genre in black and white. Music is not an exact science. Unless you're talking about the musical notes themselves.

I have to admit trying to make sense of Calssic Rock as an era and not a genre makes my head hurt.

I think in some cases there is a grey area, Metallica for instance, I would consider their older stuff classic rock (or classic metal) while the newer garbage is still to new to be classified as classic anything.

Like it or not, today's bands will one day be played on Classic Rock stations. You think for a second that The Beatles, CCR, The Who, Pink Floyd, etc.... were called Classic Rock when they were in their prime??

Nope, just as the alt rock, grunge, pop-rock, etc.... of today will be classic rock in years to come.

my 2cents

This thread is so wrong and confusing. Classic rock will always be classic rock and oldies will always be oldies... the radio stations simply "shift" what they put on their "classic rock" stations so they don't have to rebrand a name they've grown for 20+ years.

In general I think of the 70s as "classic rock"

80's as "hair band", late 80s-90s as "alternative", at some point "pop rock"... and sprinkle in all the other various genres like "ska", "punk rock", and "disco"... and then there's some stuff I hear by new bands that almost hearkens back to the ol' 70s "classic rock" sound.. maybe we can call it "neoclassical rock"... RHCP are definately in the alternative mode, maybe you can call them something like pop-alternative? Even if "classic rock" stations do play them...

For me, it's a simple definition. "Classic Rock" is anything pre-1991. (Excluding Glam which for a couple of years was the big thing, but hardly what I would define as classic aside from a couple of the better bands). Anybody who was still rocking hard, without gimmicks and "the look" up until that time. Bands like Van Halen, Aerosmith, and AC/DC were still going strong into the early 90's, and they retained the "classic" sound of rock.

The post Nirvana world of 1991 to the present, would be "modern" rock. You could break "rock" into all kinds of sub-genres, but I think these two best describe the larger picture.

The best of the new rock artists, i.e. last 10 years are mimicking the best of what has come before. Take for instance, 80's style guitar solos combined with modern sounding vocals. Alter Bridge is a great example.

In any case, aside from bands like Tool, there doesn't seem to be much originality in rock music, or popular music in general. As it is, I think the well is dry. It's all about making as much money as you can right now, and then exploiting the hell out of something popular until there is a backlash. Rinse, Dry, Repeat.

Archived