Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Fanhouse: Free Agent Offensive Linemen

HailinginSeattle

Well, we'll have to grab some even if they are shorter term solutions because this team may not have more than one or two viable o lineman on its roster. You can't solve that or even make a game of it if you depend on rooks. They have to find two tackles, and a guard minimum to compete for a starting position.

I don't know about that list. If the skin's sign the restricted free agents they lose draft picks. I think it is funny that Campbell fans think the OLine needs to be rebuilt through the draft and Bradford fans think that a line can be rebuilt through free agents and late round gems.

You can pretty much write off the RFA guys. We just don't have the picks. That leaves 1) older UFA vets and 2) guys who are mediocre and would probably be better for depth. Nothing too promising there, unfortunately. I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up one or two of them for depth. There really is no way they could be worse than what we have now.

UFA's:

Chad Clifton (T/Green Bay) Age: 33

Mike Gandy (T/Arizona) Age: 31

Justin Hartwig (C/Pittsburgh) Age: 31

Nick Kaczur (T/New England) Age: 30

Kevin Mawae (G/Tennessee) Age: 39

Stephen Neal (G/New England) Age: 33

Mark Tauscher (G/Green Bay) Age: 32

Bobbie Williams (G/Cincinnati) Age: 33

No thanks.

UFA's:

Chad Clifton (T/Green Bay) Age: 33

Mike Gandy (T/Arizona) Age: 31

Justin Hartwig (C/Pittsburgh) Age: 31

Nick Kaczur (T/New England) Age: 30

Kevin Mawae (G/Tennessee) Age: 39

Stephen Neal (G/New England) Age: 33

Mark Tauscher (G/Green Bay) Age: 32

Bobbie Williams (G/Cincinnati) Age: 33

No thanks.

And yet it's better than our roster. Sucks, doesn't it? We might have to fill a couple holes from here, even if it is mearly a stop gap solution.

You gotta figure some guys will just get straight up released. Might not be the best guys, but hopefully some servicables will be in there.

With the uncapped year I think that will happen, but it's probably going to be guys that are not going to help us much or be long term solutions. They will most likely be older guys past their prime with big, backloaded contracts that are untradeable. Kinda like guy we will cut for the same reason.

Vinny?

You're still here?

One team's trash is another team's starter. Jeremy Bridges and Kyle DeVan come right to mind. Both starters for other teams, both cut by the Redskins.

Besides, I'm not against drafting OL. I'm saying you can find guys in other ways if only to help you for a year or two, if not actually a longterm starter.

Both Clifton and Tauscher absolutely can still play. Tasucher saved their season when their young linemen were sucking badly and letting Aaron Rodgers get killed.

If we get Clifton and maybe Hartwig to a reasonable deal, then we can take our time developing youth on the line.

Kaczur would be a great fit for us too.

Generally though, no deals over, say, 3 years/12 million. This probably puts Clifton out of our price range, seeing the Packers aren't going to let him walk easily. Same with Tasucher.

You gotta leave your options open. You can't just invest your whole draft in Oline. There is an entire team you have to tend to. If that means that you pick up other teams' undesireables and try to make them fit your team, if only for the interim, then you do that. It just so happened that we have been poor judges of Oline talent recently. Not sure whom to blame on that, but since we have zero holdovers outside of our scouts, you gotta figure that will change. It couldn't get any worse.

this sounds familiar? draft skill players and get whatever OLine help we can get through undrafted free agents, signing high priced free agents past their prime, and giving up draft picks for over-rated restricted free agents.

You haven't been paying attention to the board recently, it seems. Bradford will come in and make them all look elite. :silly:

I agree you cannot replace an entire OLine in one draft, but I think you need to draft tackles. Good tackles are never unrestricted free agents. I think you can sign a free agent center: experience is a good thing for a center. If you want a stud guard you can draft one or you can sign one at the tail end of their career a la Fanaca. You don't get the opportunity to sign a Hutchinson every year

You haven't been paying attention to the board recently, it seems. Bradford will come in and make them all look elite. :silly:

I know, right? I think Bradford may be a potentially better QB. Unfortunately he would get 'Ramseyed'. The skins' need to protect their QB with a good running game and solid pass protection. Mark my words, If they draft Bradford and do not address the OLine in the next couple of drafts: There will be threads about what a bust Bradford is and how he can't read defenses and can't win.

Archived