Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NJ.com: Giants release Pierce

scyber

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/02/ny_giants_release_linebacker_a.html

After five seasons, a Super Bowl championship, a tumultuous 2008 season, an air horn in the locker room, a serious neck injury and plenty of other ups and downs as an outspoken defensive captain, Antonio Pierce's time with the Giants is over. The team has released its middle linebacker, Pierce said in an e-mail Thursday afternoon.

The Giants will announce the transaction shortly.

Not surprising, but leaves a gap in the center of the Giants D. I don't think they have his replacement on the roster yet.

Hello Mr. Spikes. Honestly the Giants don;t know how to draft Linebackers, so I can see a new free agent roaming the middle of their defense.

Well they really haven't drafted that any LBs high in recent years. IIRC, they haven't drafted an LB in the 1st round since the 80s and last year was the first year they drafted an LB in the 2nd round since the early 90s. Almost all of the recent LBs have been from the 3rd round or later. So its not surprising that many of the picks haven't worked out.

I wonder which NFC East team he will end up on. I do not think he would fit the new 3-4 scheme. My guess is he will go to the Eagles. WE should have never let him go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4905683

The New York Giants have released middle linebacker Antonio Pierce after five seasons.

NFC East blog

mosley_matt_m.jpg ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

"I was shocked at first, but I'm not the one up there up in the office, and they said they felt they needed to go in another direction," Pierce told ESPN's Rachel Nichols on Thursday. "They said it wasn't my health, or the way I played, but just that -- that they were going in another direction. We left everything smooth and peaceful and I'm happy about that -- I felt like I said everything I needed to say to them. I've loved my time in New York and won't have anything but good feelings about being with this team."

Pierce said the reason he was in the New York area was to have a doctor look at the herniated disc in his neck that caused him to miss the final seven games of last season. He said the MRI was "very positive."

"I can't say I'm 100 percent yet, but with the season still six months away, I'm right where I need to be and I'm going to be fine," he said.

Pierce had one season left on the contract he signed as a free agent in 2005.

When asked if he had an idea of where he might play next or if he has been contacted by other teams, Pierce said, "I have no wish list. If I had a preference, it would be to stay in the NFC East, since I know the division so well. But I just want to go somewhere I can help a good team."

Pierce had 55 tackles, one sack and one forced fumble in nine games last season. He led the Giants in tackles the previous three seasons and missed only four regular-season games since leaving the Washington Redskins to join the Giants.

Archived