Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cabo vs Hawaii Vacation

I_Bleed_B&G

I'm tired of all this snow so I need to plan a vacation. My wife is graduating from med school in May so I plan on taking her some where nice as a gift and just a place where she can relax. I've heard great things about Hawaii and Cabo. Which would be a better destination? Any other suggestions?

Dude, if those are your choices, Hawaii is the answer. I've never been to Cabo, there is no where nicer than Hawaii. It's just amazing.

Take 2 weeks and bounce around the islands. Hawaiian Airlines has cheap airfare between the islands. They used to offer a deal where you could pay 1 reasonable price for a certain number of flights.

The island of Kauai is incredible and not real touristy. There is an abundance of natural beauty to be seen for essentially the price of a rental car. To a lesser extent, Maui has similar beauty with more tourists. And May-July will be honeymoon tourist season.

Honestly, between Kauai, Maui and Oahu (Pearl Harbor) you will have a full schedule seeing all of the sites, plus have plenty of time to relax by the water. I would skip seeing Honolulu as it's become pretty rundown due to the drugs & crime.

Hawaii is 100 times better. Maui is 1000 times better.

And don't kid yourself, Cabo is not cheap. It is really, really expensive (the only expensive place in Mexico). If you want to go to Mexico, go to Puerta Vallarta or someplace else. Don't go to Cabo.

I went to Cabo via a timeshare trade. Stayed at the Finisterra (end of the earth) right on the southern most point of the baja peninsula. Very secluded (that beach) and had a nice relaxing time. I'd do it again. Cabo is surrounded by desert so there not much to do sight seeing wise but you can go 4 wheeling. The main attractions there are fishing scuba diving, and partying. I've been to Hawaii 4 times and It's no comparison as far as scenery or beaches go, but it will cost considerable more.

sounds like hawaii it is. How much does it cost to jump from island to island via plane or whatever other way.

Don't try to do too much. Pick two islands, at most. Why spend time in an airport when you can be lying in a hammock?

Kauai - sleepy, very lush and wet, romantic.

Maui - most fun activities for tourists, great beaches and snorkeling.

Big Island - live volcano (sometimes), one side like the moon, the other side all rainforest, best fishing.

Oahu - USS Arizona, big wave surfing, cheapest accomodations and food.

Lanai - very secluded, super expensive.

I have kids, and Maui is the best for us. If I was going on a honeymoon, it would be Kauai. If I was on a budget, it would be Oahu.

^ We were leaning more towards Hawaii but Cabo sounds amazing too. I dont know if you can go wrong with either place

I like Cabo alot more. If your spouce is high maint though you might want Hawaii. If she's a little more adventurous, just land and rent a car a go. The country is beautiful. dusty as hell, but beautiful.

I think its def gonna be hawaii (maui). Just spoke to a friend who works for Ritz Carlton and he will most likely the hook me up at the Ritz in Kapalua for cheap. Just looked that place up and its amazing.

Predicto, are you saying I should stay on 2 different islands or just travel to one other one for a day or so?

Maui - great beaches

Not sure how you came to this conclusion.

Maui has some of the worst beaches, in terms of swimming, due to all the sharp coral and rocks.

Unless you're talking about great beaches, just to look at. Or some remote beaches on the isle.

While I havn't been to every single beach on Maui, I've seen (and felt) a good portion of it.

I'd recommend Kauai.

I think its def gonna be hawaii (maui). Just spoke to a friend who works for Ritz Carlton and he will most likely the hook me up at the Ritz in Kapalua for cheap. Just looked that place up and its amazing.

Predicto, are you saying I should stay on 2 different islands or just travel to one other one for a day or so?

Do whatever you want. I would just go to Maui and settle in, or else stay for several days on on Maui and several days on another island. If you do day or overnight trips, you spend all your precious time in airports, and then all you get of the other island is the "cruise ship rush" experience. I'm not a fan of that approach. If you decide to split things, I suggest the Big Island for the other half, because it's pretty unique. The ver best resorts there are hella expensive, but I bet you can get deals at the Marriot Waikoloa, which is a huge and plush resort.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/koamc-waikoloa-beach-marriott-resort-and-spa/

The Ritz at Kapalua is amazing if you like to golf. It's pretty isolated and the beach there is rocky, so be sure to rent a car. We usually stay in Kanapaali or Wailua ourselves, but we have kids and don't golf.

We've been to Hawaii about a dozen times over the years, so I have a pretty good handle on it if you have any other questions.

Not sure how you came to this conclusion.

Maui has some of the worst beaches, in terms of swimming, due to all the sharp coral and rocks.

Unless you're talking about great beaches, just to look at. Or some remote beaches on the isle.

While I havn't been to every single beach on Maui, I've seen (and felt) a good portion of it.

I'd recommend Kauai.

Like I said, we usually stay in Kanaapali, which is a fantastic soft beach over a mile long. Kapalua beach, Napili, The whole west side of Maui is scattered with nice beaches. Chances are, your resort will be right on one, so unless you stay in a condo in Kihei, beaches are good.

You are right that many places in Maui are rocky. That's why the snorkeling is good close in to shore. I wasn't recommending just going to a random spot in Maui and jumping in barefoot.

Kauai beaches are great, but most of them are kind of isolated (except for Poipu).

Buy American, Go Hawaii!! I used to fly inter-island quite often when I lived on the Big Island. The flights were inexpensive and plentiful. I'd check Hawaiian Airlines for deals on inter-island flights and flights to and from the mainland. They have direct flights to several mainland cities (including Phoenix). I hear there are some good deals right now.

Inter-island travel is very easy. There is a seperate terminal at Honolulu International Airport making it easier and more convenient. I've done day trips to other islands as well as weekend trips. It just depends on what your want to do/see. The Big Island has limited sand beaches since the island is so "young". If you stay at a resort there will be man-made beaches that are nice. If you choose the Big Island it is a MUST to stay on the Kona side. Hilo side is the rainy side with overcast skies often. My favorite island to visit is Kauai. Awesome beaches and less crowds and tourists than Maui. Maui has stunning views with its close proximity to other islands. You can see Big Island, Molokai, Lanai, Kahoolawe most days.

There is plenty to do on Oahu as well. Last summer my wife and I went on a Swim with the Dolphins day cruise of Waianae coast. It was amazing swimming with the dolphins. The company we booked with is a bunch of marine biologists studying the dolphins and they run charters to help fund the research. They gave us tons of info and were easlily able to find the dolphins, many of which they knew well and had named. I'd be happy to give you some info if you are interested. If you stay on Oahu, consider staying away from Waikiki, unless you want the hustle and bustle of city life. The night life is good in Waikiki but the beaches are small (erosion) and very crowded. Look at Turtle Bay on the very North side, or Ko'olina on the Southwest side. Ko'olina has several hotels to choose from with beautiful lagoon beaches. It's away from downtown and Waikiki, but worth it if you want to relax.

Enjoy the sun, sand, and surf and don't forget to use lots of sun screen.

The two islands per vacation concept is pretty sound. The few times I've been out there we've spent a night or two on one island and make a point of being pretty active tourists there then settle into a spot on another for the remainder of the trip, usually spending more time on the beach. Never been a fan of the Big Island but Kuaui and Maui are just plain awesome.

Archived