Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Statiscal Breakdown Of 2009 O-line, player by player

Looking For Number Four

I thought Rinehart played better than I've seen most give him credit for as of late. Glad to see the stats show he did ok, at least in comparison to the others.

I'm glad this shows hits and pressures, since sacks alone don't tell the whole story. OL is garbage and this reaffirms it. Of course just looking at the names should have confirmed it from the get go, but oh well.

Remember that he only played what, three games this year?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/for-randy-thomas-r-word-isnt-a.html

Here is a write up on Randy Thomas:

"I got plenty more in me," Thomas said. "That 'R' word ain't ever in my mind. I think I got plenty more in me. I'm always gonna fight until I tell myself that enough is enough. I'm working like I always work.""Like I've always said, I always prepare for a season," Thomas said. "I've had some times where this game, it takes over, and you just can't predict what happens. Nobody knows. That's just how it is, until it's time to strap it up and get on the field again, nobody knows. It's a business. I know how it goes."

He tore his triceps in 2007 as well which limited him to 3 games that year and 2 games this year. His future will not be decided by retiring but the faith of the brass in him pulling together another 2008. The problem with this is the salary hit, if he retires we are released from his contract without any repercussion; however, if we were to cut him I think we are hit for $6M. Even with an uncapped year that hurts.

Bleh.

And look, Sellers is one of our worst rated run blockers as the lead blocking FB.

Yeah, maybe we should cut Portis a little slack. Last year was a disappointment in every sense and losing brings out the worst in everyone. Haynesworth raised hell any did not get the fan back slap. Perhaps they both were doing what the coach would not do, confront those not pulling their load.

Yeah, maybe we should but Portis a little slack. Last year was a disappointment in every sense and losing brings out the worst in everyone. Haynesworth raised hell any did not get the fan back slap. Perhaps they both were doing what the coach would not do, confront those not pulling their load.
Sellers had a very poor year.

And our Guards were absolutely incapable of pulling, sending Dockery out to pull is just a bad idea all around but I can remember multiple plays of him completely whiffing on his blocks.

I think the stats also reflect a little harsh on Levi Jones. Statistically, if you break it down per pass, Heyer was better on the Right Side, but Campbell is definitely weaker at picking up the pressure on his weak side.

Wouldn't it be great if someone fell in love with CJ Spiller or whoever, and traded their entire draft for #4? We could pick up pretty much anything/one we want. Ah, seems like only yesterday that Ditka was running New Orleans.

The sad part is that trade should have set us up for a decade of major success, but it's the Saints in the SB this year. Oh, well.

These stats are just depressing. Just tear the whole thing down and start building. I can't take another year of this garbage (aka our unbelievably bad OL). Even though we knew the unit was bad, it still makes me want to cry when it's out on paper like that.

draftoptions.jpg

That's the two draft options that most people were talking about the skins taking last year (Orakpo was BPA and Oher was best player available at their position of most need) and their performance relative to the skins player who would have started in their place. Seeing that comparison, I think its pretty clear which draft option would have made a bigger impact on the team this year. Orakpo might be a stud, but he wasn't used well when he wasn't rushing, and Wilson was better at everything except pass rushing. Oher was dramatically better than both tackles who started the majority of plays for the skins.

They could have improved the line even with the next tackle taken (TJ Lang by Green Bay at 109) from their 4th round pick who was just depth (he was in for 23 snaps). Still would have been a big step down from Oher, but Lang was much better than Jones or

Pretty meaningless, really, w/o some context to the stats and how they were compiled.

For instance, they have Samuels in the negative category, and he seemed pretty solid to me for the time he was in. Do they fault that play in the first game where Osi had that strip/TD on Samuels, or is it on Campbell where it belongs?

this is a pretty good thread.........I really hope we can greatly improve the OLIne but at the same time I also want Bradford...... call it being greedy but I hope there is a way we can get Bradford and another 1st round pick for OT (say Buluga in mid to late 1st) and then maybe Brown in the 2nd round that would be ideal to get

this is a pretty good thread.........I really hope we can greatly improve the OLIne but at the same time I also want Bradford...... call it being greedy but I hope there is a way we can get Bradford and another 1st round pick for OT (say Buluga in mid to late 1st) and then maybe Brown in the 2nd round that would be ideal to get

The thought of Bradford behind anything even close to this line is extremely scary. If we picked him up at #4 he would need to sit at the very least a year before he could safely work behind a rebuilding OL. I know some people say that his injury was just a freak landing, but at the same time the guy is, what, 6'4 and 215 lbs? Every time he got hit I would cringe and hope he got back up.

Pretty meaningless, really, w/o some context to the stats and how they were compiled.

For instance, they have Samuels in the negative category, and he seemed pretty solid to me for the time he was in. Do they fault that play in the first game where Osi had that strip/TD on Samuels, or is it on Campbell where it belongs?

Here's they're explaination of how they compile them.

http://profootballfocus.com/about.php?tab=about

I don't really like they additive combination of the stats (pass + rush + screen etc), but I think the stats are very thorough (and one of the few places to get good stats on individual lineman's performances.

draftoptions.jpg

That's the two draft options that most people were talking about the skins taking last year (Orakpo was BPA and Oher was best player available at their position of most need) and their performance relative to the skins player who would have started in their place. Seeing that comparison, I think its pretty clear which draft option would have made a bigger impact on the team this year. Orakpo might be a stud, but he wasn't used well when he wasn't rushing, and Wilson was better at everything except pass rushing. Oher was dramatically better than both tackles who started the majority of plays for the skins.

They could have improved the line even with the next tackle taken (TJ Lang by Green Bay at 109) from their 4th round pick who was just depth (he was in for 23 snaps). Still would have been a big step down from Oher, but Lang was much better than Jones or

Love the stats and post, thanks!!!

I think it is interesting to note that Levi Jones is a former first rounder. Also, please let us not forgot the Titanic himself, Robert Gallery :D Peyton Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb (2nd overall) and Eli Manning are the only top 5 pick QBs in the league worth nothing.

Farve and Brees were drafted with the very last picks of the second round, Aaron Rodgers was 24th overall, Ben Roethlisberger was 11th overall, Schaub was 90th overall (rd. 3), Joe Flacco - 18th overall, Cutler - 11th, and we all know the story behind Romo sits to pee, Warner, and Brady. Of note, Hasselback was taken in 6th round, and Kyle Orton in the 4th.

The verdict is still out on Matt Ryan, Josh Freeman, Mark Sanchez, and Matthew Stafford with Vince Young, Brady Quinn, Jason Campbell, Michael Vick, Alex Smith, and Matt Leinart amongst those taken in the 1st round hoping to repeal their stamp of bust. I refuse to include Russell in this conversation because the only people that thought that was a good idea was Al Davis and the moronic scouts who were probably paid off pay someone who wanted to play a joke of Davis.

In conclusion, in modern day, every QB that matters was taken in the 1st round except for Hasselback, Orton, Brady, Romo sits to pee, Warner, Farve, and Brees. Of the top 6 in QB rating this season, 4 were taken in the top 15 overall, 2 (Rivers, Peyton) in the top 5.

19 QBs that are of significane in the NFL came as the result of a 1st rounder draft pick. Only 7 were needles in a haystack. Vick and Young were exploratory picks that have been in the playoffs. Leinart has yet to play an entire season and Alex Smith has has the job yanked from him time and time again. Sanchez, Stafford, Ryan, are all the result of the most modern day of scouting and appear to be on track.

So what exactly is the team waiting for when it comes to cutting Heyer?

Probably anyone who can do better than him. That would be most Tackles in the league. Unfortunately, our depth is s bad that they might actually have to start putting full pads on blocking dummies eventually until we draft some decent young talent.

There are so many telling things in this breakdown....I cant speak for the ratings but the more factual data allows you to draw your own conclusions.

Even if he only played half a season, and taking that into account with the numbers, why is Portis not in on 90% of the pass plays as one of the best blocking RB's in the game?

Wow. Our tackles are terrible. I didn't realize how awful this line really is. However, Rabach is worse than these stats make it seem. Rabach doesn't give up many pressures because the defenses go through him rather than around him. None of our quarterbacks have a pocket to step into because Rabach just gets his ass shoved backwards half of the time. That's a stat that's not even in there.

And don't apologize for making good threads. :cheers:

I'm with you on all of this one. I would also add that the weak G C G combinations impact our Ts. I think a stud C will make a big difference in our whole line. That being said IMO we need at least a starting C, LT and RT. I would be picking C first too, unless it's with a too high pick like our 4th in which case I would pick up a T just for value (if I were picking OL with a high pick).

One thing I will say is the people saying Shanny gets good OL in the lower rounds have to realise that isn't certain to be the case so much now that the ZBS is established with a number of teams. More competition.

How do they calculate those ratings? Seems like they would be very subjective.

Yeah, the methodology is highly in question. I wouldn't put much stock in these ratings. The coordinator of the site apparently just gets guys from around the internet to watch the TV feed of games for a team and provide the ratings.

The competence and bias of the reviewer is highly questionable. For instance, I wouldn't be a good source to provide ratings for Campbell because, while I may TRY to be objective, my biases against him may seep through. The converse is also true - if the reviewer believes Campbell is better than canned beer, it'll color his perceptions of the game.

We see opposing viewpoints of the same plays on here all the time. I'm highly doubtful that this site is any different. There's also just the general issues of qualifications and limited field of vision from the camera.

Archived