Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Statiscal Breakdown Of 2009 O-line, player by player

Looking For Number Four

1st, I would like to apologize for post so many threads. That being said, I felt this one had to be made. Will do my very post to not start another thread for an extended period.

Levi Jones, Stephon Heyer, and Mike Williams were almost entirely responsible for the horrid pass protection/sacks of 2009: 18. Jason Campbell was responsible for another 6. Minus those from the 42 we gave up and the number is reduced to 24, nearly the league led. Of course the validity of the statistics are subject to debate, but they seem reasonable enough to me given the nature of those responsible.

Some pleasant suprises was the play of Chad Rinehart, Derrick Dockery, and Casey Rabach; Randy Thomas and Chris Samuels played well as well in their limited action. Tackle is an absolute must, as if we did not already know, and should make an instant impact on the performance of the offense.

oline.jpg

Courtsey of Hogs Haven:

http://www.hogshaven.com/

Wow. Our tackles are terrible. I didn't realize how awful this line really is. However, Rabach is worse than these stats make it seem. Rabach doesn't give up many pressures because the defenses go through him rather than around him. None of our quarterbacks have a pocket to step into because Rabach just gets his ass shoved backwards half of the time. That's a stat that's not even in there.

And don't apologize for making good threads. :cheers:

None of our quarterbacks have a pocket to step into because Rabach just gets his ass shoved backwards half of the time.

I've been saying this for a long time. At age 32, Rabach is easily one of the worst starting centers in the league... The linemen who surround Casey are so bad, that people often forget that our middle is getting blown up every single time.

Heyer, Rabach, and Mike Williams are three guys that need to be gone next year. (The rest of them can also pack their bags, and I would not mind at all.)

Not one stinking green box in run block. If we're going to right this ship, it's setting up the pass with the play-action, meaning we need to be a better running team. This starts with run blocking. Supposedly, that's what most linemen prefer (compared to pass blocking). We need change!

Wow. Our tackles are terrible. I didn't realize how awful this line really is. However, Rabach is worse than these stats make it seem. Rabach doesn't give up many pressures because the defenses go through him rather than around him. None of our quarterbacks have a pocket to step into because Rabach just gets his ass shoved backwards half of the time. That's a stat that's not even in there.

And don't apologize for making good threads. :cheers:

I am profoundly pleased to hear your thread support, I have been given a bit of criticism. I think about this team way more than I should and it seems like every single day at least three questions come to mind that pester me until I can get your guys feedback.

Here is a link to 2008:

http://profootballfocus.com/cstats.php?tab=by_team&season=2008&teamid=32&stats=o&stype=r&playerid=

Can we PLEASE bring back Pete Kendall :D

Not one stinking green box in run block. If we're going to right this ship, it's setting up the pass with the play-action, meaning we need to be a better running team. This starts with run blocking. Supposedly, that's what most linemen prefer (compared to pass blocking). We need change!

Stage Director: "Ok, cue Mike Shanahan"

Mike Shanahan: "I have this all taken care of, enjoy your off-season"

:D

Keep Dockery and replace the rest from the draft: Charles Brown, Mike Iupati, Matt Tennant, Derrick Dockery, and Selvish Capers.....make it so Shallen!

Iupati and possibly brown look to both be late 1st rounders, that could be impossible, but one will almost undoubtedly be in burgundy and gold. Capers will likely be early 2nd rounder so it looks like he might not be able to be had either, without trading back or a player.

I posted this list of free agent OL last night, this list takes into consideration no CBA being reached, if they were to reach one prior to March this would change dramatically:

OL

Hadnot, 28, 16 starts from '05-'08 at RG, 6 last year (Mangini)

Gandy, 31, LT for 16 games in BUF '05-'06, 16 starts ARZ '07-'08, 12 starts '09 for ARZ before injury

Amano, 28, gaurd for 2,006 yard Chris Johnson and still young

Clifton, 34, past his prime but still an upgrade and viable for a season

Bobbie Williams, 33, all 900 pounds of him plowed the way for the Cedric Benson revival in CIN

Brisel, 27, started 5 games '09 and 16 '08 for Kyle Shanny in HOU

Hartwig, 31, 16 starts at C for PIT past two years, 95 on his career

Pitts, 31, 16 starts/season from '02-'08 for HOU at LG, 2 starts last year before season ending knee surgery

Kaczur, 31, 62 starts for NE at RT since '05

Neal, 33, 72 starts for NE at RG since '04

Hamilton, 33, started every game at LG for Shanahan from '02-'06, 104 career starts

There are also trade candidates. Method Man (not the rapper :D) mentioned Jamal Brown (NO) being available which I have read as well since Brushrod came in and has performed admirably, is younger, and most importantly cheaper. I just don't know what we have to trade minus players and next year's draft picks (which I hope we never do again, ahem Jason Taylor).

Iupati and possibly brown look to both be late 1st rounders, that could be impossible, but one will almost undoubtedly be in burgundy and gold.
Not impossible, improbable, but I am hoping Shallen does some trades to get multiple picks in the first 2 Rounds as well as still picking Bradford. It's my dream, so stop trying to smash it into smithereens! :silly:

I've been saying this for a long time. At age 32, Rabach is easily one of the worst starting centers in the league... The linemen who surround Casey are so bad, that people often forget that our middle is getting blown up every single time.

Heyer, Rabach, and Mike Williams are three guys that need to be gone next year. (The rest of them can also pack their bags, and I would not mind at all.)

The writer for Hogs Haven actually contacted the guy who compiles these stats because he was shocked that Levi Jones was ranked so terribly. Pro Football Focus responded by stating they analyze 70 hours of football per week and for the most part the numbers take into consideration EVERYTHING and don't lie. Rabach certainly could be upgraded but his rating do not seem to make him a TERRIBLE liability. IMO, I think his replacement needs to start being groomed but he could be manageable for next season. Without Samuels, our tackle situation is borderline Tiger Woods marriage situation and needs a lot more than rehab. I cannot believe we have had Samuels and Jansen for SO long and at no point did we both to draft anything to put behind them, then again, we are talking about Vinny and Snyder.

Not impossible, improbable, but I am hoping Shallen does some trades to get multiple picks in the first 2 Rounds as well as still picking Bradford. It's my dream, so stop trying to smash it into smithereens! :silly:

:D Apologies. Portis would certainly nab a good bit, as would Cooley/Davis and Rogers. I would not mind trading Portis, drafting Gerhart, McKnight, or Scott in the 4th and signing Leon Washington. Although, I LOVE Portis (signature below) and would be more opposed to this than probably anyone on this board. But if we could get all those guys and Bradford, I suppose you have to make a sacrifice somewhere.

Completely off-topic be really interesting, IMO, is the defense breakdown:

http://profootballfocus.com/cstats.php?tab=by_team&season=2009&teamid=32&stats=d&stype=r&playerid=

These really confirms exactly what I thought, we have two Strong Safties (Reed and Laron) and no FS. Carlos Rogers is much better than we give him credit for. Haynesworth and Doughty are a two men rushing attack wrecking crew. Feltcher deserved to be in the Pro Bowl, again. Orakpo is MUCH better against the pass than the rush. Lorenzo Alexander deserves more snaps.

We must either relegate Landry or Doughty to only being a Strong Saftey and either allow Horton the Free Saftey job all season or find one, this MUST happen. Rogers is a perfect second corner and Hall needs to stop being so soft on the run. We must install something behind Fletcher for fear he goes down or shows his age, he is by far the anchor of this defense. Montgomery and Gholston are perfect backup DTs. Haynesworth is a monster. Griffin's time is running out. We could really benefit from putting Orakpo on the line and plugging in a real deal run stopping linebacker in his place. In conclusion, I love our defense. :)

Does anyone really think Shallen is clever? it sounds kinda dumb to me.

Nice job to the thread starter however, points out some pretty glaring deficiencies. Sure most of of knew the oline blew last season, but this zeros in on it a bit further.

Have to defer the credit to Hogs Haven, but I am really glad this was able to put pinpoint some of what MUST be addressed. I think improved tackle play would do absolute wonders for this team, wonders. Really is a shame there is a not a single stud free agent out there to pursue. If both Samuels and Thomas retire we have an extra $13M to spend.

Redskins Salary Breakdown:

http://www.adavidmooreorgans.com/pcinoz/Salaries_-_Detail.htm

Any questions now on whether or not to skip offensive line with our first selection?

I can undoubtedly see where you are coming from, especially with the awe inspiring numbers that Campbell has from the site's breakdown both this year and last; but, I really think Bradford is potentially the best QB this franchise has ever had. Therefore, I still go Bradford, with a twisted and uneasy feeling inside. I also have a lot of faith in Shanny's ability to put together the line with something much less than Jake Long. QBs you simply cannot pull out of thin air, unless your the ungrateful Cowgirls who do so and rue the day.

I can undoubtedly see where you are coming from, especially with the awe inspiring numbers that Campbell has from the site's breakdown both this year and last; but, I really think Bradford is potentially the best QB this franchise has every had. Therefore, I still go Bradford, with a horribly twisted and uneasy feeling inside. I also have a lot of faith in Shanny's ability to put together the line with something much less than Jake Long. QBs you simply cannot pull out of thin air, unless your the ungrateful Cowgirls who do so and rue the day.

Shanahan's offenses have always been run-first, and he's made excellent starters out of Jake Plummer and Brian Griese. To me, that says line first, then quarterback.

I thought Rinehart played better than I've seen most give him credit for as of late. Glad to see the stats show he did ok, at least in comparison to the others.

I'm glad this shows hits and pressures, since sacks alone don't tell the whole story. OL is garbage and this reaffirms it. Of course just looking at the names should have confirmed it from the get go, but oh well.

Archived