Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Apple Tablet PC to be announced tommorrow!

JMS

This thing will kill the Kindle and Nook. Those two have to come up with something quick or they are done.

Why would you pay $130 more for a 3G one? Wouldn't Wi-Fi be good enough? Maybe I'm missing something.

Rural areas do not have WiFi hot spots every where. Some WiFi hotspots you have to pay for. More convenience.

11:21 a.m.: There are accessories for this thing too. A charging dock you can use to display the iPad in portrait. Also a keyboard dock, so you don't have to use a virtual keyboard all the time.

"When you really need to do a lot of typing, this is the way to go," Jobs says.

I knew it. Overpriced accessories coming that you actually need to make it a propecomputing device. I like how he has to smugly say "this is the way to go."

Look up lol. We posted at the same time basically. He is saying it is an optional accessory but if you want to use it for more than a glorified iPod Touch you need the dock.

Yeah with the keyboard it'll almost have the same function as a $350 netbook. Maybe the second generation Ipad will have flash and multitasking support.

Apple doesn't invent new technology. They didn't invent the PC, the mouse, the eithernet, Object oriented technology, OLE, multi ring levels of execution, flat memory model, interuptive multi tasking, stereo sound, wysiwig displays texts, fonts, graphical user interface, cut and paste, interuptive multi tasking, digital vidio, or MP3 players.

I get you are trying to make a point. But you have made it. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over.

I think it is fair to say that we all know Apple doesn't invent stuff. Geez.

This does nothing that a laptop or iPhone can't do (better in most cases). Completely underwhelmed. Also, this will not replace the Kindle because the screen technology used is not nearly as reader friendly. This looks like a complete bust.

So can you get the WiFi model and just tether it to your iPhone so you can get internet access anywhere you can get phone service?

You can only tether if you have a jailbroken iPhone. Jailbreaking comes with its own restrictions - like waiting until they make a new jailbreak before updating to the newest iPhone software.

There's an app called MyWi in the RockApp & Cydia stores that lets you tether your phone or turn it into a WiFi hotspot.

You can only tether if you have a jailbroken iPhone. Jailbreaking comes with its own restrictions - like waiting until they make a new jailbreak before updating to the newest iPhone software.

There's an app called MyWi in the RockApp & Cydia stores that lets you tether your phone or turn it into a WiFi hotspot.

Not true. You can tether if you have Phone OS 3.0

I get you are trying to make a point. But you have made it. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over.

I think it is fair to say that we all know Apple doesn't invent stuff. Geez.

Sorry KH, I was responding to someone who was claiming Apple wasn't innovative.

While they didn't invent the technology I mentioned, Apple has been the first to introduce those technologies in the market place. Which was my point.

? You have to have 3.0 in order to tether. Tethering wasn't introduced until 3.0.

However, even on 3.0, tethering is not supported by AT&T so you have to have either an updated carrier file (which I don't believe works anymore, but I could be wrong) or have an "unofficial" app that does it for you.

When 4.0 is released, you'll have to wait until they find their way in to jailbreak it or you'll lose your capabilities to run jailbroken apps.

Wow, interestingly enough, looking around the web, Apple seems to have managed to even upset a lot of their serious fanboi's. That's not easy!

Eh most fan boys originally hate items because it is not what they imagined it would be.

I like the idea of it. I think if you don't have a kindle or use a method of transportation that is not suitable for a laptop (i.e. metro or train) then it is a cool product.

I am interested to see how well it does iWork and what apps may follow. That is going to be the real test.

Price is a little high for me but I will reevaluate once I get to use it, and then compare if I want a kindle or spend a little more and get more features.

I could tether my iphone when I had the 2.2.1 OS using PdaNet..

True,but through USB right? Well I guess you could tether via bluetooth. If you own an iPhone, why not jailbreak it. You miss out on so much with just a stock iPhone

you can tether wirelessly, with PdaNet all you had to do is create an ad hoc connection on the laptop...

Archived