Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Apple Tablet PC to be announced tommorrow!

JMS

After reading some of the reviews on this, I still don't see it being the next big thing. I think it will definitely hurt some Kindle and Nook sales. It does what those two do, but also alot more. But I don't think this replaces laptops or desktops.

I know that you can get the keyboard attatchment for the iPad, but after you buy that and the iPad, you could get a really good netbook or laptop, which can do more than the iPad. So I'm not sure it will do much in that market.

As for smart phones, I don't think it affects those either. Yes it can do a little bit more than the smart phones, but its not as portable as a smart phone. There's no difference between the iPad and the iPhone, except the iPhone can fit in your pocket. I just don't see where it does much in that market either.

The iPad is the tweener device. Not quite a laptop/netbook/desktop, but not as portable as a smartphone. If I was looking to buy an e-reader, I'd give a good hard look at the iPad. But other than that, I'm not sure how useful it really will be. It could be useful for college students who can buy their textbooks on it, but I would still want a laptop for typing and doing other tasks.

While I think there is still some room to go as far as taking this product to the next level take a look at some of the details and specs on apple's page. I think it does a lot more justice then the keynote last night.

I think this is a great item if you are in the market for a netbook or kindle. I really dig the case for it. Wish they showed that off in greater detail because I think it explains some of the typing on it questions people would have.

I know that you can get the keyboard attatchment for the iPad, but after you buy that and the iPad, you could get a really good netbook or laptop, which can do more than the iPad. So I'm not sure it will do much in that market.

I think if you have to use your keyboard for a significantly the ipad will loose significant appeal. It's exciting only if it's functional without the keyboard in my opionion.

Having said that, for a laptop; this thing isn't expensive... 4-600$ isn't an expensive thing.

As for smart phones, I don't think it affects those either. Yes it can do a little bit more than the smart phones, but its not as portable as a smart phone. There's no difference between the iPad and the iPhone, except the iPhone can fit in your pocket. I just don't see where it does much in that market either.

It won't compete with the smartphone at least not phase I. Although the thing can be purchased with a telephone service plan for connectivilty to the net. You can't use this thing to make calls. It doesn't have a telephone component.

The iPad is the tweener device. Not quite a laptop/netbook/desktop, but not as portable as a smartphone. If I was looking to buy an e-reader, I'd give a good hard look at the iPad. But other than that, I'm not sure how useful it really will be. It could be useful for college students who can buy their textbooks on it, but I would still want a laptop for typing and doing other tasks.

In order for the ipad to fulfill it's promise, they're going to have to convince people like you it will be useful to them. I think you are the demographic they will be looking for. They're going to do that with a media blitz, and by word of mouth. Wait for it. If they can't; you can figure this will be a rare apple bust.

for the consumer market, i see this competing with netbooks and e-readers and not much else. its superior to both of those products (yes, i know the netbook can do more, but most people who use netbooks dont need the functionality - netbooks are a dumb product), however the ipad really can't compete with laptops.

I think if you have to use your keyboard for a significantly the ipad will loose significant appeal. It's exciting only if it's functional without the keyboard in my opionion.

Having said that, for a laptop; this thing isn't expensive... 4-600$ isn't an expensive thing.

I'm not saying its expensive, but if I'm going to spend $400-$600, I'd rather a laptop that can do everything the iPad can do and more. And you're right, its meant to be used without a keyboard, but if people are going to use it as their main computer, than the keyboard will almost have to be used. Like I've said, I couldn't imagine typing a college paper on a touchscreen.

It won't compete with the smartphone at least not phase I. Although the thing can be purchased with a telephone service plan for connectivilty to the net. You can't use this thing to make calls. It doesn't have a telephone component.

I agree with this. It definitely won't replace smart phones. Even if it could be used as a phone, how would you even talk on that thing? That would look funny if someone had that up to their ear lol.

In order for the ipad to fulfill it's promise, they're going to have to convince people like you it will be useful to them. I think you are the demographic they will be looking for. They're going to do that with a media blitz, and by word of mouth. Wait for it. If they can't; you can figure this will be a rare apple bust.

Like I said, I see some use for it. If I were going to get an e-reader, I'd really consider getting this. But I already have a latop and a smart phone. So if I'm around my house, I can use my laptop just like I would the iPad. Yeah the iPad is more portable, but my laptop does all the same things.

I'd really be interested in it if it did something different, something that my laptop couldn't do. What that is, I don't know. But since it doesn't do anything differently or easier than the things I already use, I just can't justify getting one. At least not now.

Is there a specific netbook you recommend? I've been thinking about getting one for awhile and might finally do it in the next couple of months. Somewhere in the $3-400 range. Closer to 3 preferably.

Question open to anyone.

My Aunt uses this Toshiba as her primary computer:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptop/toshiba-mini-nb-305-n410.aspx

It's nowhere near my laptop but it is very nice. That is the only one i have ever used. There is a good comparison that is only two days old here:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/pine-trail-showdown

Personally, I would get an ION netbook though as they have better graphics capability. Here is another comparison of ION netbooks from last month:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/ion-netbook-shootout

Aparently this is the fastest out there right now (because of a dual core CPU but it only gets about 4 hours of battery life):

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/asus-1201n.aspx

I would probably buy the HP Mini 311 myself, I think it has the best combination of battery life and performance:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/hp-mini-311-verizon-wireless.aspx

First, the guy I was responding too cared about the kindle. He was directly comparing the Kindle and the iPad. Also the kindle was one of the most popular gifts last christmas. A significant percentage of all new book sales on amazon are electronic from kindle owners.

Second, A Laptop is a compromised desktop. A netbook is a compromised laptop. The ipad isn't a compromise. It's a new way of using a computer. If you are right and you need a keyboard, and the new interface frusterates users; this ipad will go the way of the apple newton. However if technology has reached critical mass and developed an interface with is functional without the mouse or keyboard or independant monitor. Then this thing is going to compete favorable with desktops, not second level compromises paterned after desktops.

The entire system is completely compromised because it is a closed system completely controlled by Apple! You can only do what Apple allows you to with this device!

It's really more about the interface and changing the way people use computers. If the interface of pinching sliding fingers and touching the screen is sufficient to surf the web, sms, tweeter, and basically do a limited but useful set of PC desktop functionality; Then the ipad removes the necesity of a keyboard, mouse, monitor, and ultimately a table from the computer experience....

Now all the sudden you can put a computer on a slate, project it onto a window, a wall, a heads-up display on your car.

People associate computing with sitting at a desk. Even Laptops really require a desk. The importance of a useable tablet pc is it could fundimentally change how we use technology.... Now that's all dependant on the thing being functional and not frusterating for users. Which is yet to be known.

You are easily impressed. I personally feel this product is extremely limited when it comes to interface. No handwriting recognition, extremely limited voice control, no integrated camera. Swiping a screen and typing on a virtual keyboard is more limiting than even just having a basic mouse and keyboard. We will see what future iPads are like but this one is certainly not a breakthrough in the way we interact with computers in any way. Your interaction with it is even more limited than with an iPhone, at least that has a camera.

Second, A Laptop is a compromised desktop. A netbook is a compromised laptop. The ipad isn't a compromise. It's a new way of using a computer.

It is not a new way of using a computer. Not even close. You would have to have had your head buried in the sand for most of the past decade to not realize that this is a niche product that features the same technology present hundreds of other devices that preceded it.

However if technology has reached critical mass and developed an interface with is functional without the mouse or keyboard or independant monitor. Then this thing is going to compete favorable with desktops, not second level compromises paterned after desktops.

A common trend in all of your posts is your lack of understanding of the advantages of tactile input. In their current form touchscreens are completely incapable of rivaling the versatility of the standard keyboard/mouse combination. The iPad does nothing to change that and remains a niche product, one that is incapable of replacing a conventional PC but may be used as an accessory or supplement.

I like the product. Personally, it's not for me, since I'm addicted to my iPhone. But it has its perks.

It's great if you're going to use it to its intended use. But you can't use this if you're trying to use it as a fully functional laptop, which is why it serves me no purpose.

But I can appreciate its market.

I would still go for it, if it was more of a hybrid between a laptop and the iPhone. I think it'll have mobile web pages instead of normal ones, and the lack of multitasking is pitiful. It should have been more of a Leapord OS meets iPhone OS.

The HP slate has USB ports and I believe is going to be similar to a netbook in some respects with a Kindle application to read books.

Isn't that what people were expecting? I don't think most of us are trying to run Halo/Quake 25 on this thing, but for basic web browsing, basic productivity, and some of the neat things you can do these days---that's kind of what we wanted, I'm assuming.

• 1 month later...

This looks infinitely better than the iPad. The handwriting interface alone is far better than what Apple is offering.

03-05-10courier.jpg

We've been dying to know more about Microsoft's Courier tablet / e-book device ever since we first caught wind of it last September, and while our entreaties to Mr. Ballmer went unanswered, we just learned some very interesting information from an extremely trusted source. We're told Courier will function as a "digital journal," and it's designed to be seriously portable: it's under an inch thick, weighs a little over a pound, and isn't much bigger than a 5x7 photo when closed. That's a lot smaller than we expected -- this new picture really puts it into perspective -- and the internals apparently reflect that emphasis on mobility: rather than Windows 7, we're told the Courier is built on Tegra 2 and runs on the same OS as the Zune HD, Pink, and Windows Mobile 7 Series, which we're taking to mean Windows CE 6.

As we've heard, the interface appears to be pen-based and centered around drawing and writing, with built-in handwriting recognition and a corresponding web site that allows access to everything entered into the device in a blog-like format complete with comments. We're also hearing that there will be a built-in camera, and there's a headphone jack for media playback. Most interestingly, it looks like the Courier will also serve as Microsoft's e-book device, with a dedicated ecosystem centered around reading. It all sounds spectacular, but all we have for a launch date is "Q3 / Q4", and we have no idea how much it's going to cost, so we're trying to maintain a healthy skepticism until any of this gets official -- call us any time, Microsoft.

Check the link for two videos.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/microsofts-courier-digital-journal-exclusive-pictures-and-de/

Archived