Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Apple Tablet PC to be announced tommorrow!

JMS

I've heard the price might be up to $1,000. I dunno, I'm not real big on the tablet pc bandwagon. I guess I just don't see the use for it. If I already have a portable laptop, why do I need this? If you have a smartphone, why do you need this? It just looks like a big iPod Touch of iPhone.

I am interested in. More so that I hope it brings down the price of the Nook and Amazon Kindle. I have no doubt Apple is going to push the boundaries with this one but initial price is out of my range.

Anyone here going to order one day of? If so please post a review.

It is not going to be ground breaking but will be hyped to Hell and back. People, much like with the iPhone, will "have to have it" paying whatever to high price tag is to get it and then will spend too much time defending the purchase.

Apple makes nice products but they are not anymore innovative or creative than what is out there now. They put a shiny finish on it and neat things like finger swiping or an accelerometer (not new technology by any means nor invented by Apple) and people decide it is "cool".

I've heard the price might be up to $1,000. I dunno, I'm not real big on the tablet pc bandwagon. I guess I just don't see the use for it. If I already have a portable laptop, why do I need this? If you have a smartphone, why do you need this? It just looks like a big iPod Touch of iPhone.

The need for the average user will be near zero. Apple has been building to this with the iPod touch and iPhone by inserting touch technology into their "cool" gadgets and creating a false sense of "need" to it. If you have a mobile laptop or netbook the need for a touchscreen tablet is near zero. If you have an iPhone that you have spent upwards of $400 (non-contract) or bought the contracted phone and pay your $70 a month for you have no neeed for this tablet.

But Steve Jobs will treat it as if it is the holy grail of computing, walking out in the stage in all black with a smug look on his face showing us how he can shake his tablet to make dice roll around or swipe fingers across it to make windows move.

It is not going to be ground breaking but will be hyped to Hell and back. People, much like with the iPhone, will "have to have it" paying whatever to high price tag is to get it and then will spend too much time defending the purchase.

Apple makes nice products but they are not anymore innovative or creative than what is out there now. They put a shiny finish on it and neat things like finger swiping or an accelerometer (not new technology by any means nor invented by Apple) and people decide it is "cool".

You're right. Apple markets the crap out of their products, I'll give them that. But HP and a few others have already announced their Tablet PCs, so its not like this is something new or groundbreaking. And honestly, from what I've heard its just a bigger iPhone or iPod Touch. So if you have one of those, what is the need for this?

You're right. Apple markets the crap out of their products, I'll give them that. But HP and a few others have already announced their Tablet PCs, so its not like this is something new or groundbreaking. And honestly, from what I've heard its just a bigger iPhone or iPod Touch. So if you have one of those, what is the need for this?

Well I think Apple brings a more refined product with more thought about the overall design and function of the product. Yes people have done similar things but Apple kicks it up a notch.

Have you tried reading a book or something on an iPhone? It would be something along the lines of a netbook that would provide a lot of features and apps for people that don't want to carry around a big laptop etc.

I assume it will be more of a niche/cool product like the MBA then a must have like the iPhone and iPod.

This is how I feel... it won't replace my laptop or smartphone, so I don't see the need...

Exactly right. You don't see the use for it. Because a useful tablet simple hasn't existed before. Apple is really good at inventing things and making them useful. Thinking them out better than other companies have ever been able to do.

Just the education capabilities of this thing are going to be fantastic.

In another four or five years, tablets might be more popular than Desktops and laptops. The entire keyboard and monitor paradymes are limiting. This tablet OS could run on the windsheild of your car for a heads up display. It could be projected onto a wall and run from your watch. It could be used inside of eye glasses. This could revolutiononize the computer industry. It's an evolutionary step.

The Apple iTablet (name guess) will be a nice product. It will probably run OSX (I skimmed the article looking for a price point, may have missed it) and be expensive. Tablets are not new but now the technology is better they may be more feasible for professionals.

To be honest I cannot see myself ever using one. I like my keyboard and I like the privacy a laptop can afford.

No one is saying that finger swiping or an accelerometer is new technology, but the way it is being used in particular devices is new, which would make the devices slightly innovative because something is being used in a new way. That is like saying the wildcat is not innovative because you are using the same players.

About the tablet: The price will be $500-$600 with a wireless contract with either Verizon or AT&T. Without contract, price could be anywhere from $800-$1000.

I am excited about this product even though I will not purchase it. Usually when Apple joins the party, they bring a bunch of awesome features that many would consider "game changers." With their purchase of Fingerworks, I think the multitouch on the tablet and any future devices they put out will be out of this world. There are so many patents that have been filed lately that have great potential to enhance productivity and ease of use. With this tablet though, I think it will be aimed more at the e-reader crowd and possibly gamers. Apple is in talks with many publishing companies to get their content on the tablet. It would be especially cool for students because it would eliminate the 20 lbs of books they would have to carry to class. Just have this tablet, all of your books are downloaded and read on the device. Tablet PCs never really excite me because I do not really see a purpose for things like that. However, if you think about it being used in other ways than a computer and being used like an e-reader as well, the use of a tablet begins to seem a little more interesting.

Apple didn't invent

• the personal computer,
  • eithernet,
  • object oriented technology,
  • graphical user interfaces,
  • the mouse
  • digital music player

Apple didn't invent these things, they just brought them all into the practical use and main stream markets. Apple just thinks these things through better than anybody has before them. That's what they're famous for.

It's really irrelevent that HP, Dell or who else already has tablets. Hell Grid had a tablet 15 years ago. The fact is Apples is going to be useable, practical, and cool. It's going to be an entirely new way to use your computer, and it's just the first step in getting away from the keyboard/mouse/monitor which chain your computer to your desk.

Well I think Apple brings a more refined product with more thought about the overall design and function of the product. Yes people have done similar things but Apple kicks it up a notch.

Have you tried reading a book or something on an iPhone? It would be something along the lines of a netbook that would provide a lot of features and apps for people that don't want to carry around a big laptop etc.

I assume it will be more of a niche/cool product like the MBA then a must have like the iPhone and iPod.

I see what you're saying. It definitely would be a niche product. I can see people using it for e-books, but if you already have a Kindle or a Nook, and a iPod, would you really buy this? I dunno. I'm sure people will buy it since its by Apple, I just don't really see a use for it for me at least.

Exactly right. You don't see the use for it. Because a useful tablet simple hasn't existed before. Apple is really good at inventing things and making them useful. Thinking them out better than other companies have ever been able to do.

Just the education capabilities of this thing are going to be fantastic.

In another four or five years, tablets might be more popular than Desktops and laptops. The entire keyboard and monitor paradymes are limiting. This tablet OS could run on the windsheild of your car for a heads up display. It could be projected onto a wall and run from your watch. It could be used inside of eye glasses. This could revolutiononize the computer industry. It's an evolutionary step.

They are not inventing anything here. They have not really invented anything ever in the true sense of the word. Apple (and Microsoft) buyout or flatout copy technology to incorporate it into their billion dollar businesses.

This will not revolutionize anything. To say so is a large assumption and is largely speculation.

And I have no use for a tablet at all. But to those who can justify the tablet will enjoy it.

Apple does market the crap out of their products, hence why they are steadily gaining market share.

Sure HP and others have announced other tablets but what new features have been introduced? Currently the tablets have nothing truly innovative about them. Think about the HP touchsmarts. They really don't bring anything new aside from the fact that you can tap on the icons, which is not really a new feature anyway. When using one, I feel like I am ordering an MTO. :hysterical:

Apple didn't invent the digital music player; they just thought it through better than anybody before them did.

It's really irrelevent that HP, Dell or who else already has tablets. Hell Grid had a tablet 15 years ago. The fact is Apples is going to be useable, practical, and cool. It's going to be an entirely new way to use your computer, and it's just the first step in getting away from the keyboard/mouse/monitor which chain your computer to your desk.

Right, but some people like all those things. Its much easier and cheaper to replace a mouse or keyboard than it is to replace a whole laptop/desktop. Will this thing be cool, yeah more than likely. Will it be a "game changer"? Probably. I just don't see people really rushing out to buy it. Its cool that it combines an iPod, Kindle, Laptop all in one, but if you have all those things, would you spend the extra money to buy this?

Right, but some people like all those things. Its much easier and cheaper to replace a mouse or keyboard than it is to replace a whole laptop/desktop. Will this thing be cool, yeah more than likely. Will it be a "game changer"? Probably. I just don't see people really rushing out to buy it. Its cool that it combines an iPod, Kindle, Laptop all in one, but if you have all those things, would you spend the extra money to buy this?

People can justify anything. The main thing will be "Now I don't need 3 things to do what I want to do!"

I don't think you can compare Microsoft and Apple. Microsoft copy and steals. Apple improves. Microsoft revolutionized the software industry showing you can sell Cr@p, if you get time to market right. Apple has always produced quality well thought out products.

They are not inventing anything here.

Invent is the wrong word. Practicalize, popularize... are better words..

• the personal computer,
  • eithernet,
  • object oriented technology,
  • graphical user interfaces,
  • the mouse
  • digital music player

And I have no use for a tablet at all. But to those who can justify the tablet will enjoy it.

You have no use for it yet. there are 200,000 applications available for the iphone, most of them free. Why; cause Apple gave away their development kits for free. Everybody/anybody with a good idea can write an app and market it through the istore.

If the tablet is 10% as popular it will be an evolutionary shift in the computer industry.

You might not own one, and your kids will be laughing at you calling you an old fogey.. This thing could be, likely will be; more popular than desktops. The applications are literally endless.

True, but with the economy down, can people afford another $600 on something they already have?

Keep an open mind. You will probable own one of these things in the next two years, and you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

Keep an open mind. You will probable own one of these things in the next two years, and you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

I love technology and getting the latest and greatest. But I honestly don't see myself getting one. I've got a laptop, BlackBerry, and an iPod. I'm already set! ;)

When I first heard of the idea of this, I was kind of "meh" on it, but the more I've thought about it, the more I've warmed up to it. I spend a large amount of my time at home either laying on my bed in my bedroom watching tv and surfing the internet, or sitting on the couch with my laptop in my lap. I've been curious about e-readers, but never enough to buy one. I could picture myself using it the same way as I use my laptop (which is big and gets hot in my lap) and using it as an e-reader. Heck, I could see a device like this introducing digital magazine subscriptions. You know Apple is going to get the interface right as well. Imagine flipping through pages in a magazine or book, surfing the web with it, or having it on the counter in the kitchen with a recipe you just looked up. I hope it isn't $1000. I think anything sub $800 and I'll pull the trigger.

When I first heard of the idea of this, I was kind of "meh" on it, but the more I've thought about it, the more I've warmed up to it. I spend a large amount of my time at home either laying on my bed in my bedroom watching tv and surfing the internet, or sitting on the couch with my laptop in my lap. I've been curious about e-readers, but never enough to buy one. I could picture myself using it the same way as I use my laptop (which is big and gets hot in my lap) and using it as an e-reader. Heck, I could see a device like this introducing digital magazine subscriptions. You know Apple is going to get the interface right as well. Imagine flipping through pages in a magazine or book, surfing the web with it, or having it on the counter in the kitchen with a recipe you just looked up. I hope it isn't $1000. I think anything sub $800 and I'll pull the trigger.

Great point. It also would be great for stores to ring up sales or great for presentations in business. Like the iPhone and iPod the device itself is only half the battle. Anyone can make a great device but unless you provide an avenue to expand upon the original device (i.e. iTunes) then it will fizzle out.

Archived