Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Apple Tablet PC to be announced tommorrow!

JMS

I don't think you should just think of this thing as a fancy kendle ie digital book reader. I think you should think of this as a full featured PC that you don't need a table or desk to use. you can use it while walking, standing, laying out at the beach. Surf the internet. play/compose music. Review flash cards. Read a novel, or have a novel read to you.

It's really got unlimited applications. Figure the iphone spawn 200,000 ap ideas, many very intreaguing.... This thing is going to spawn a half a million new applications...

i dont see this product becoming nearly as popular as the ipod and its not as innovative as apple would like us to think. guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow to know for sure though.

i'm much more exicted about the announcement of the end of at&t exclusivity.

What new product has Apple ever introduced which wasn't great, way ahead of it's compeditors... What new technology have they experiemented with which didn't change the entire landscape of computing?

I can't think of any... I'm sure there are some... PC lines which flopped like the Lisa. But not any new technology products.

• OLE,
  • Object oriented technoogy.
  • Stereo quality sound cards
  • Multi ringed protected mode operating systems
  • Flat memory
  • interuptive multi tasking on pcs
  • Graphical user interface
  • Mouse
  • Eithernet
  • True Type Fonts (WYSIWYG)

I think we have a lot more reasons to be very optomistic here than pesimistic. One of the most influential companies in the history of the personal computing industry is coming out with an entirely new product line. That's pretty cool.

Hell even when they creat something that doesn't catch on.. like the "Next Step" computer back in the late 1980's. The box was cool as hell and heralded PC's functionality for the next decade.

I think we have a lot more reasons to be very optomistic here than pesimistic. One of the most influential companies in the history of the personal computing industry is coming out with an entirely new product line. That's pretty cool.

Cool, yes.

Practical, affordable, sensible, and profitable, are another.

Wouldn't a phone, kindle and mp3 player all be less than this and also work without the others?

This seems like a VCR/TV combo.

iphone 3-400$

Kindle 4-500$

ipod 1-300$

This new product is expected to come in around 4-600$... comparable to a kindle alone.

I can get an iphone for 100 bucks, an MP3 player for less (I don't need an ipod), Sure, pay whatever for the kindle.

And I read from 600-1000 for the tablet.

If you have a laptop, why do you need this thing ?

It's just a cool gadget, nothing more.

That's my point. And you know people that aren't used to touch screens are going to hate typing on it. So I don't see it replacing laptops. Its much easier and faster to type on a keyboard.

I can get an iphone for 100 bucks, an MP3 player for less (I don't need an ipod), Sure, pay whatever for the kindle.

And I read from 600-1000 for the tablet.

If you have a laptop, why do you need this thing ?

It's just a cool gadget, nothing more.

As I said earlier, the tablet will be anywhere from $600-$1000 depending on if you get a contract or not.

I am not a huge fan of tablets because I don't really see their purpose. Maybe it is just my ignorance. But if this device is a "hybrid" so to say of a tablet PC and an e-reader, it is going to be very cool. From reports I have seen this will be a device where you can store all sorts of magazine subscriptions, newspapers, textbooks, regular books, surf the net, video conference, etc. If that turns out to be true, this device will be so much more than any tablet or e-reader on the market. When Apple joins the game, things usually get more interesting.

I've heard the price might be up to $1,000. I dunno, I'm not real big on the tablet pc bandwagon. I guess I just don't see the use for it. If I already have a portable laptop, why do I need this? If you have a smartphone, why do you need this? It just looks like a big iPod Touch of iPhone.

The only thing I'd be interested in would be really good notetaking applications (for handwritten notes). I'd much rather have a physical keyboard and a Windows-based pc though.

I think the iPhone is the worst culprit of people going and buying a product because it is cool. One of my girlfriends 5th grade students has an iPhone. WHY?!?!?!

Not really...as a photographer on the side, I use mine for a pocket portfolio...the screen is great, my photos look crystal clear and if I'm ever out and about and someone wants to see some of my work it's right there.

To each, their own. I love apple, I've got a MacBook Pro, an ipod and an iphone...all of their products have worked flawlessly for me. I'm not sure why people feel the need to bash things like Apple if they don't like em but there seem to be a lot of people concerned with what mp3 player you have, what phone you have or what computer you have.

If it works for you, it works for you...Apples stuff works great for me, I don't give a crap what anyone else has to say.

Remains to be seen how useful this tablet will be but I'm intrigued.

Not really...as a photographer on the side, I use mine for a pocket portfolio...the screen is great, my photos look crystal clear and if I'm ever out and about and someone wants to see some of my work it's right there.

To each, their own. I love apple, I've got a MacBook Pro, an ipod and an iphone...all of their products have worked flawlessly for me. I'm not sure why people feel the need to bash things like Apple if they don't like em but there seem to be a lot of people concerned with what mp3 player you have, what phone you have or what computer you have.

If it works for you, it works for you...Apples stuff works great for me, I don't give a crap what anyone else has to say.

Remains to be seen how useful this tablet will be but I'm intrigued.

I think the iPhone is incredibly useful. My point was just that some folks have it and have no real need for it aside from a status symbol. Hence why I used an example of a 5th grader having one :laugh:. With the availability of apps through the App Store, the possibilities with the iPhone are amazing.

I wasn't bashing Apple at all...I couldn't do that as a fanboy :silly:

I think the iPhone is incredibly useful. My point was just that some folks have it and have no real need for it aside from a status symbol. Hence why I used an example of a 5th grader having one :laugh:. With the availability of apps through the App Store, the possibilities with the iPhone are amazing.

I wasn't bashing Apple at all...I couldn't do that as a fanboy :silly:

Well the 2nd part of my post wasn't really aimed at you, I should have clarified ;)

Yeah, but there's definitely a status symbol thing there. Oh well.

Okay, can someone explain why this is news? I remember seeing tablet computers several years ago. Haven't a couple major companies tried to market them?

It's newsworthy from a business/marketing perspective. In terms of actual technology, though, this couldn't possibly be more overhyped. In 99% of all cases tablet PCs are horribly impractical and absolutely cannot compare to a good old-fashioned keyboard. The best Apple can hope for is to make the user experience slightly more bearable and include some catchy features they can use as selling points. What they will not do is reinvent the wheel or ultimately bring tablets out of the niche market (although I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they experience a brief surge in popularity due to uninformed bandwagon jumpers).

Apple didn't invent

• the personal computer,
  • eithernet

It's hard to take someone's opinion on technology seriously when they can't spell ethernet. Doesn't help that you also seem to expect tablet PCs to overtake desktops and laptop sales in the near future. That's beyond ludicrous.

It's newsworthy from a business/marketing perspective. In terms of actual technology, though, this couldn't possibly be more overhyped. In 99% of all cases tablet PCs are horribly impractical and absolutely cannot compare to a good old-fashioned keyboard. The best Apple can hope for is to make the user experience slightly more bearable and include some catchy features they can use as selling points. What they will not do is reinvent the wheel or ultimately bring tablets out of the niche market (although I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they experience a brief surge in popularity due to uninformed bandwagon jumpers).

Tablets in general are overhyped, absolutely. Similar to the touchscreen, all in one computers by companies like HP and Gateway. These devices bring nothing new to the table aside from the fact that you can tap on the screen. With all of the rumors flying around about this Apple tablet, it will be more than a tablet PC. No one even knows what it is called yet. A combination e-reader and tablet PC will change the tablet market imo. NY Times is on the bandwagon as well as McGraw-Hill. Two huge names in their respective businesses see this device as the wave of the future of how their content will be delivered. Obviously this device will be more than just a tablet.

Leaked images of the device are on engadget right now.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/is-this-the-apple-tablet/

I am 99% sure this is not a mock up job. Looks like it had some sticky notes on it the person covered and they also blocked out their face that reflected in the glass too :laugh:

What new product has Apple ever introduced which wasn't great, way ahead of it's compeditors... What new technology have they experiemented with which didn't change the entire landscape of computing?

I can't think of any... I'm sure there are some... PC lines which flopped like the Lisa. But not any new technology products.

• OLE,
  • Object oriented technoogy.
  • Stereo quality sound cards
  • Multi ringed protected mode operating systems
  • Flat memory
  • interuptive multi tasking on pcs
  • Graphical user interface
  • Mouse
  • Eithernet
  • True Type Fonts (WYSIWYG)

Hell even when they creat something that doesn't catch on.. like the "Next Step" computer back in the late 1980's. The box was cool as hell and heralded PC's functionality for the next decade.

i don't think anything i said was "pesimistic." i just said this is no big deal - for me, atleast. i'm a guy so i don't carry a purse. i dont carry a bag around with me everywhere to carry something like this in. when i want to surf the web, i'm at home or at work and a laptop or desktop works fine. when i'm on the go and i just need some information, i can get it on my phone which fits in my pocket. when i want to read, i want to read a book with pages that i turn. there is nothing about this product that would appeal to me. i'm not the demographic that apple will appeal to. for me, the product is "neat" but not something i'll be interested in.

what i AM interested in is finally getting the iphone on my carrier, verizon. to me, thats a much bigger deal which will appeal to more people. to me, the tablet is a "niche product." on the other hand, 60% of the humans on this planet own a cell phone. i'm sure the percentage is higher in the US. now, the iphone (the best cell phone out there) will be available to almost all of them.

Archived