Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Apple Tablet PC to be announced tommorrow!

JMS

Nothing on the Apple tablet is new technology--it's just a jumble of current technology married together harmoniously. Sure, it's nice, but not innovative.

Totally wrong.

The first part is right. Apple doesn't invent new technology. They didn't invent the PC, the mouse, the eithernet, Object oriented technology, OLE, multi ring levels of execution, flat memory model, interuptive multi tasking, stereo sound, wysiwig displays texts, fonts, graphical user interface, cut and paste, interuptive multi tasking, digital vidio, or MP3 players.

They just showed everybody in the market how to make these ideas useful to consumers... Apple didn't invent the Personal Computer, but they landed on the cover of Time Magazine person of the year for their device after they put their innovate spin on what largely was a hobby marketplace before they came along. That's innovative. That's what they are famous for.

MP3's were around a decade befoe Apple got involved. But the mp3 marketplace took off after apple because nobody had thought deeply about the product as Apple did.

I got a Kindle 2 as a gift and love it. It's a must for frequent travelers. And it's a much bigger hit with the public than I anticipated -- something like over 50 percent of new books bought via Amazon are for the kindle.

And this looks like a Kindle Killer if the reading experience is equal.

No kidding, this is going to slaughter the Kindle.

Totally wrong.

The first part is right. Apple doesn't invent new technology. They didn't invent the PC, the mouse, the eithernet, Object oriented technology, OLE, multi ring levels of execution, flat memory model, interuptive multi tasking, stereo sound, wysiwig displays texts, fonts, graphical user interface, cut and paste, interuptive multi tasking, digital vidio, or MP3 players.

They just showed everybody in the market how to make these ideas useful to consumers... Apple didn't invent the Personal Computer, but they landed on the cover of Time Magazine person of the year for their device after they put their innovate spin on what largely was a hobby marketplace before they came along. That's innovative. That's what they are famous for.

MP3's were around a decade befoe Apple got involved. But the mp3 marketplace took off after apple because nobody had thought deeply about the product as Apple did.

How is he/she totally wrong? You kind of prove his point.

I got a Kindle 2 as a gift and love it. It's a must for frequent travelers. And it's a much bigger hit with the public than I anticipated -- something like over 50 percent of new books bought via Amazon are for the kindle.

And this looks like a Kindle Killer if the reading experience is equal.

There is already a Kindle app for iPhone. It will probably work on the iPad.

Looks like my wife is getting a Kindle hand me down as soon as this thing launches.

I dunno, nothing really stood out for me. It doesn't do anything that can't already be done. Its just a "cooler" way of doing them I guess. I can see more people buying it as an e-reader than anything. I think the Kindle, Nook, and other e-readers are going to have to step up their current products. Maybe it hurts netbooks a little, but I don't know. I don't think it does anything to laptops, desktops, or smart phones.

Currently underwhelmed. Personally, I think if it was a slightly larger variation of the iPhone I'd be more interested. This thing though? It's not going to replace my laptop and it's not going to replace my phone, so it's just one more thing to carry around...

This thing doesn't even have cellular data...bleh. Feels like it's stuck in no-man's land between where if I want to do something to really do work on I'm going to use a computer and if I want to do something mobile I'm going to use my phone.

The very thing I love about my iPhone is its the only thing that I need to carry around. I was able to shed everything. Give me a larger iPhone that still fits in my pocket, with a front-facing camera, a bigger & greatly improved screen & I'm all set.

This thing doesn't even have cellular data...bleh. Feels like it's stuck in no-man's land between where if I want to do something to really do work on I'm going to use a computer and if I want to do something mobile I'm going to use my phone.

That's how I feel. If I want to use a computer for something, I'll use my laptop. If I'm on the go and need to check out something, I'll use my phone. Yeah this thing kinda does both, but its just one more thing to drag around.

So when will they announce the pricing?

$499 - $699 depending upon whether you sign a contract with a carrier. It's basically priced to be compeditive with the Kendle 2, wich was introduced at about $359

Well, $499 does spell trouble for the Kindle market I would guess... If you're going to carry a Kindle around for $359, why not drop the extra money and be able to watch videos and everything else.

Seems like they could have done a lot better on this though. Doesn't seem that great to me. Hope iPhone OS 4.0 doesn't fizzle like this.

$499 - $699 depending upon whether you sign a contract with a carrier. It's basically priced to be compeditive with the Kendle 2, wich was introduced at about $359

11:19 a.m.: To start, anyway at 16GB.

$599 for 32GB, $699 for 64GB. With 3G, add $130 to each. So: $629, $729, and $829.

Kindle has 3G out of the box correct for $359? $499 for a 16GB iPad with wifi but no 3G.

Archived