Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coach Williams goes to the Super Bowl

veteranskinsfan

Who do you want to win the Super Bowl?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to win the Super Bowl?

• Indianapolis Colts
    • New Orleans Saints

I'm happy for Williams, but yeah -- the Saints are a good team that wouldn't be in the Super Bowl without Brees and Payton. Had he stayed with the Redskins, we sure wouldn't be in that class. Again, I'd have been happy had we kept Williams and Saunders, but I think we're definitely better served going forward with Shanahan. It's win-win for the 'Skins and Williams.

Obviously the team's strength is their offense but to say their defense has played no role and thus "the second g's for genius" didn't help is laughable. Take away the turnovers and NO is a good team. Add that playmaking defense Williams has put together and you have a SB contender.

Let's see last year we had the 4th overall D and lost a lot of games because our O couldn't score in the red zone or had a lot of 3 and out. Our D kept us in a lot of those games. So you see you don't have to have a turn over D albeit it is a nice luxury to have.

When your D stops another team from scoring that is also called a turnover. :cool:

Dude trust me, their D is not the reason why they are in the Super Bowl.

Dude trust me, the turnovers and short fields provided by that defense won them multiple games this season. You think they would have beat Miami down 20+ if it wasn't for a couple turnovers resulting in scores? The reason they are in the SB is because they have an amazing offense and a defense that compliments it. Take away the turnovers and they're sitting at home watching Minnesota prepare to take on Manning.

Let's see last year we had the 4th overall D and lost a lot of games because our O couldn't score in the red zone or had a lot of 3 and out. Our D kept us in a lot of those games. So you see you don't have to have a turn over D albeit it is a nice luxury to have.

When your D stops another team from scoring that is also called a turnover. :cool:

Yes we didn't win a lot of games because we were only good on one side of the ball, New Orleans excells in all three phases. We may have stopped teams in the redzone but they're still using clock and picking up field goals or at the very least giving us a long field to work with. New Orleans' D getting them turnovers provides Brees and co. a short field to work with. I'm amazed this is even a discussion.

Nowhere am I saying the Saints are a defensive team but it's fairly obvious that their defense helped their team win not only today but many times this season. Teams don't get to the Super Bowl if they can't play all three phases.

AussieSkin-You asked what this had to do with the Redskins. Our owner and General Manager 4 years ago during the offseason could have landed Drew Brees as our starting quarterback but we passed on him. Also, our owner could have retained Coach Williams instead of hiring Zorn. He might have also been able to keep Williams as Assistant Head Coach in charge of Defense and picked another head coach but that option was never explored. Williams family still lives in Fairfax County Virginia and his kids still attend Virginia schools.

I'm starting to not like Gregg Williams. Tonight's game and how he blitzed like every play and just absolutely killed Brett and that vicious hit that both D-lineman made on Brett was completely unneccessarily and should have been called unsportsmanlike. I mean really, you aren't taught to hit someone from behind that low and then place the guy that was coming at Brett.

COORDINATOR Williams is in the superbowl. Not Head Coach williams.

For anyone who wasn't watching today. Most of those fumbles weren't caused by the defense. It was a simple case of Romo sits to pee Fingers.

EXACTLY. HC Williams couldn't keep a job with the Bills.

COORDINATOR Williams did a great job his first year in Washington as well...BUT after the 3rd year, people were calling for his head...oh the short memories we have here

if it wasnt for turnovers commited by vikings they would have been out of the game long time ago. sometimes its a bit of luck. but I didnt see much of great D tonite, 40 year old man was kicking them around, yes he made some mistakes too!

I couldn't believe the Vikings were fumbling so much. Harvin, Peterson, Berrian. It was unbelievable that they were still in that game.

COORDINATOR Williams is in the superbowl. Not Head Coach williams.

For anyone who wasn't watching today. Most of those fumbles weren't caused by the defense. It was a simple case of Romo sits to pee Fingers.

True.

Most of the fumbles were a case of butterfingers, and not caused by getting hit.

I'm happy for Gregg Williams, but if anyone is implying on this thread that if the Redskins had kept Williams as their HC, they'd be Super Bowl contenders, well that is a pretty ridiculous stretch.

His 'D' gave up FIVE HUNDRED YARDS and 28 points in that game.

They'd better do better against the Colts.

True.

Most of the fumbles were a case of butterfingers, and not caused by getting hit.

I'm happy for Gregg Williams, but if anyone is implying on this thread that if the Redskins had kept Williams as their HC, they'd be Super Bowl contenders, well that is a pretty ridiculous stretch.

His 'D' gave up FIVE HUNDRED YARDS and 28 points in that game.

They'd better do better against the Colts.

Peyton loves playing against the blitz, and last I checked, that's what the Saints like to do. You saw him against the Jets (#1 defense) and their "unique" way of blitzing - overloading, bringing from the unexpected area. It took 28 minutes, but Peyton soon began carving them up. Gg better do something magical if the Saints want a chance to win.

Archived