Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coach Williams goes to the Super Bowl

veteranskinsfan

Who do you want to win the Super Bowl?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to win the Super Bowl?

• Indianapolis Colts
    • New Orleans Saints

I couldn't care less. When he was in Jacksonville last year that defense wasn't anything special. Yeah he has made the Saints defense better, but as bad as they were, that's not saying much. And its much easier to have an aggressive defense when you know your offense can score 40 a game.

That D is the sole reason they are in the Super Bowl because the Defense created turnovers and hit Farve repeatedly which affected him. You can lie if you want but no one who saw the game is going to believe you.

Its easy to create turnovers when the other team is forced to throw the ball more. The Saints defense is overrated IMO. Sharper, Smith, and Vilma are good, but other than that no one else really stands out. It'll be interesting to see if they can slow down the Colts. I'm rooting for the Saints, but their defense is going to have to play lights out.

With Coach Williams, we had some great defenses. They way he uses Sharper is the exact same way he used Sean Taylor. I'm more happy for the Saints, then I am for Williams. Williams was attacking that Vikings offense and I loved every minute of it.

Hopefully the Saints will win but I doubt it.

:helmet:

Its easy to create turnovers when the other team is forced to throw the ball more. The Saints defense is overrated IMO.

Easy to create turnovers?

In 2008, the Saints D saw 526 passes and created 22 turnovers. QBs had a rating of 80.3 against them. Their D scored 0 TDs.

This year, the Saints D saw 574 passes (3 more per game than in 2008) and have created 39 turnovers (2nd in the league). They scored 3 TDs, which was #1 in the league. Their opposing passer rating was 68.6, 3rd in the league.

Care to give credit where credit is due?

Well good for him, considering the fact their offense is the only reason why they have been so successful. Not GW's D!

Saints had the #1 offense in 2008 and won 8 games. They had the #5 offense in 2007 and won 7 games. With GW's D, they won 13 and will now be playing in the Super Bowl.

Dude trust me, their D is not the reason why they are in the Super Bowl.

Dude, where's my car?

Trust you... why?

I'm happy for Williams, but yeah -- the Saints are a good team that wouldn't be in the Super Bowl without Brees and Payton.

And they wouldn't be in the Super Bowl without Gregg Williams.

Drew Brees and Sean Payton led them to 8 wins last year, and 7 wins in 2007. Without GW, they very possibly could have seen another 8-8 season, a 3rd straight year out of the playoffs and Sean Payton would probably be an offensive coordinator in Miami right now!

Easy to create turnovers?

In 2008, the Saints D saw 526 passes and created 22 turnovers. QBs had a rating of 80.3 against them. Their D scored 0 TDs.

This year, the Saints D saw 574 passes (3 more per game than in 2008) and have created 39 turnovers (2nd in the league). They scored 3 TDs, which was #1 in the league. Their opposing passer rating was 68.6, 3rd in the league.

Care to give credit where credit is due?

Sure, when you place a playmaker in the backfield, people play BETTER.

So all credit goes to Darren Sharper. The man had 9 Int's HIMSELF.

When your defense plays 20-30 points AHEAD of the other team, do you think they are exactly RUNNING the ball at this point on the Saints defense? They did well in certain area's for certain reasons. There's answers to how and why Greg Blache could run a better unit then he did here.

What Greg Williams did amazingly was grab the potential out of his safeties. He always did and still does. LaRon was fantastic as a rookie and especially in the playoffs. Sean Taylor was just starting to see his own turnovers come his way under Greg's scheme. He's a good coach don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with letting him go.

I'm happy for Gregg Williams, but if anyone is implying on this thread that if the Redskins had kept Williams as their HC, they'd be Super Bowl contenders, well that is a pretty ridiculous stretch.

It's pure speculation as to how good we would have been with GW as head coach. But only a fool would try to minimize just how much of a difference he's made in New Orleans this season.

Another thing I see people missing is the fact that he brought on Darren Sharper and Jabari Greer, 2 players who received lukewarm interest on the open market yet have been All-Pro caliber at their positions. But that's typical GW, bolster the DBs and scheme with an undermanned front 7. His defenses always seem to flourish despite injuries and the Saints had some tough ones this year.

Sure, when you place a playmaker in the backfield, people play BETTER.

So all credit goes to Darren Sharper. The man had 9 Int's HIMSELF.

And who brought Sharper to New Orleans? BTW, here's how much they paid the man...

Darren Sharper / Saints ($1 million base salary, $200,000 signing bonus, $500,000 roster bonus, $1.7 million salary-cap number)

This was after he sat on the shelf for the first 2 weeks of free agency. Let's not act like this was Sean Taylor hitting the open market in his prime. This was a player pretty much no one else believed in, except GW.

It's pure speculation as to how good we would have been with GW as head coach. But only a fool would try to minimize just how much of a difference he's made in New Orleans this season.

Another thing I see people missing is the fact that he brought on Darren Sharper and Jabari Greer, 2 players who received lukewarm interest on the open market yet have been All-Pro caliber at their positions. But that's typical GW, bolster the DBs and scheme with an undermanned front 7. His defenses always seem to flourish despite injuries and the Saints had some tough ones this year.

If you can't see the fact that their defense has played with one of the best offenses playing for them, then you're crazy. Any defensive coord could excel in that position. He's a GOOD coach.

Can you grasp the fact that it's NOT the defense which is making the Saints GOOD it's the fact that they have one of the most high powered offenses along with a defense with personal that creates mistakes because of playmakers like Vilma, Sharper, Smith..ect.

And if you can't see it from what I'm about to post, then I do not know what.

Regular

W Detroit 45-27

W Philly 48-22

W Buffalo 27-7

W Jets 24-10

W Giants 48-27

W Miami 46-34

W Falcons 35-27

W Panthers 30-20

W Rams 28-23

W Tampa 38-7

W Patriots 38-17

W Redskins 33-30

W Atlanta 26-23

L Dallas 17-24

L Tampa 17-20

L Panthers 10-23

Playoffs

W Arizona 45-14

W Vikings 31-28

Colts TBD

The Saints won 5 games with 45+ points.

The Saints won 11 games with 30+ points.

The Saints lost every single game (3) they DID NOT SCORE MORE THEN 17 POINTS.

The Saints finished 25th in total defense.

The Saints were the 20th worst team in points against.

You think the defense was better in 08 and 09 with Blache then it was with GW from 04-07? Really?

Blache

08:4th

09:10th

Williams

04:3rd

05:9th

06:31st

07:8th

I said "There's answers to how and why Greg Blache could run a better unit then he did here."

And from this, yea, I agree. In 06 I was present at 5 home games and it was a terrible defense. It was the worst defense this team has seen in a very long time. And was fixed by bringing in London Fletcher, LaRon Landry, and starting Rocky McIntosh.

Yep, Gregg Williams is the reason the Saints are going to the Super Bowl.........

If you leave out Sean Payton, Drew Brees, Marques Colston, Jahari Evans, Reggie Bush, Robert Meachum, Pierre Thomas, Jon Stinchcomb, etc.

The Saints gave up 28 points and allowed 476 yards to the Vikings.

Their defense is still their achilles heel which you will see in the Super Bowl.

I left out Leigh Torrence on my list, that midseason cut is still a big head-scratcher, basically forced us to draft Tryon and Barnes. At the time, the coaches admitted he was not the 53rd player in terms of value. I forget who took his spot or why but the Saints scooped him up immediately and he is still there now on his way to Miami.

If you can't see the fact that their defense has played with one of the best offenses playing for them, then you're crazy. Any defensive coord could excel in that position. He's a GOOD coach.

Well quite clearly Gary Gibbs couldn't :-)

Can you grasp the fact that it's NOT the defense which is making the Saints GOOD it's the fact that they have one of the most high powered offenses along with a defense with personal that creates mistakes because of playmakers like Vilma, Sharper, Smith..ect.

And if you can't see it from what I'm about to post, then I do not know what.

Regular

W Detroit 45-27

W Philly 48-22

W Buffalo 27-7

W Jets 24-10

W Giants 48-27

W Miami 46-34

W Falcons 35-27

W Panthers 30-20

W Rams 28-23

W Tampa 38-7

W Patriots 38-17

W Redskins 33-30

W Atlanta 26-23

L Dallas 17-24

L Tampa 17-20

L Panthers 10-23

Playoffs

W Arizona 45-14

W Vikings 31-28

Colts TBD

The Saints won 5 games with 45+ points.

The Saints won 11 games with 30+ points.

The Saints lost every single game (3) they DID NOT SCORE MORE THEN 17 POINTS.

The Saints finished 25th in total defense.

The Saints were the 20th worst team in points against.

W/r/t to the Bills and Jets games, we would have not won those games without the defense (esp. the Bills game - we forced them to punt the ball like 10 times). In the Jets game, the defense actually *outscored* the jets offfense (14 points to the Jets 10)

2nd Quarter NYJNOR2nd and 8 at NO 15M.Sanchez pass short left intended for D.Keller INTERCEPTED by D.Sharper at NO 1. D.Sharper for 99 yards, TOUCHDOWN. PENALTY on NYJ-M.Sanchez, Personal Foul, 15 yards, enforced between downs.

New York Jets at 9:46NYJNOR1st and 10 at NYJ 2Line of scrimmage changed on change of possession. T.Jones right guard to NYJ 5 for 3 yards (S.Fujita, J.Vilma). 2nd and 7 at NYJ 5M.Sanchez sacked at NYJ 0 for -5 yards (W.Smith). FUMBLES (W.Smith), RECOVERED by NO-R.Ayodele at NYJ 0. TOUCHDOWN.

The Saints defense stepped up, when it was required, in the vast majority of situations.

Archived