Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coach Williams goes to the Super Bowl

veteranskinsfan

Who do you want to win the Super Bowl?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to win the Super Bowl?

• Indianapolis Colts
    • New Orleans Saints

Well quite clearly Gary Gibbs couldn't :-)

Word. This idea that any DC can get his D to play well when the offense plays well is a common myth perpetrated by people on this board who didn't like Gregg Williams. Even though he enjoyed great success here. These same sheep probably hate beer, money, and p****y but hey, success isn't for everyone!

W/r/t to the Bills and Jets games, we would have not won those games without the defense (esp. the Bills game - we forced them to punt the ball like 10 times). In the Jets game, the defense actually *outscored* the jets offfense (14 points to the Jets 10)

2nd Quarter NYJNOR2nd and 8 at NO 15M.Sanchez pass short left intended for D.Keller INTERCEPTED by D.Sharper at NO 1. D.Sharper for 99 yards, TOUCHDOWN. PENALTY on NYJ-M.Sanchez, Personal Foul, 15 yards, enforced between downs.

New York Jets at 9:46NYJNOR1st and 10 at NYJ 2Line of scrimmage changed on change of possession. T.Jones right guard to NYJ 5 for 3 yards (S.Fujita, J.Vilma). 2nd and 7 at NYJ 5M.Sanchez sacked at NYJ 0 for -5 yards (W.Smith). FUMBLES (W.Smith), RECOVERED by NO-R.Ayodele at NYJ 0. TOUCHDOWN.

The Saints defense stepped up, when it was required, in the vast majority of situations.

Thank you, sir for bringing some sanity into this thread. You've probably seen all the Saints games. I've seen most of them as they have been my "2nd favorite" team for a while now.

It's a shame that people want to just pull up scores and spout off how the Saints D is no better than years gone by. Such is the life of a simpleton though.

Blache

08:4th

09:10th

Williams

04:3rd

05:9th

06:31st

07:8th

I said "There's answers to how and why Greg Blache could run a better unit then he did here."

And from this, yea, I agree.

So simplistic it's painful. Yardage? That's the best you can do? That's how you are going to judge how a unit performs? Ask DC Saints fan how much better the Saints yardage stats are this year than previous years. You'll find that they aren't much better, if at all.

How bout points allowed? Turnovers? How about the most important stat of all... wins? Playoff appearances? We've had 12 wins the last 2 seasons and no playoff appearances. GW's defenses carried the Redskins to the playoffs twice in 4 seasons when our offense was spinning it's wheels. And quite frankly, his 2004 defense that could only carry us to 6 wins was the best defense we've had since the 1991 season.

Go check Blache's Defensive performances with the Bears. Outside of 2001, they were horrendous. There's a reason why Blache was put out to pasture and retiring. And there's a reason why Gregg Williams is coaching in the Super Bowl for the 2nd time. See if you can figure it out.

When Greg Williams was pressed by the Media about why Lavar Arrington wasnt starting GW said that it was his feeling (GW) that if you cant do it in practice,your not starting on Sunday.

I think this was in 2005

Around that time and a few years before that Lavar was a Huge fan favorite but he had gotten to the point where every year right around training camp Lavar always had crap to say about the team or owner or his contract or playing time.

Then as always once the season started Lavar was always saying im sorry im a Redskin blah,blah,blah.

I instantly feel in love with him and his philosophy.When he put Lavar in his place.

Fan favorite or not it was all about the team it seemed to me from GW

Then when he had his defence take the field with 10 men after the burial of ST,that was it for me.

I wanted him as our HC after Joe Gibbs left.

I also always thought he did a GREAT job with the Media when what appears to me was Joe not wanting to do it so he gave it to GW to do.

I will never forgive the Redskins for NOT making GW our coach and instead hired JZ for what was surly the worst 2 years of football we have seen.

I hope the Saints win it all.

I definitely am happy for Grilliams. He's a good coach and I was pretty angry when Snyder just stiff armed him. He should have been our head coach, but I think, even with that chance, we would still have Shanahan today. I got the feeling that with Vinny here, EVERY coach was destined to fail in the end. It was like Vinny just couldn't share the Dan's attention or something.

Either way, I'm glad he's in the SB and I'll be rooting for him (after all it's not like he ditched US, plus the way he memorialized the first play after Sean Taylor was gone was a great tribute), though I'll probably be rooting for Manning too. There are a lot of people I will be rooting for in this SB, on both teams. Would be cool for Brees to get his first, Grilliams too, but I'd love to see Manning get another and inch closer to being one of the winningest QBs ever. If one of them were just complete douches then it would make this a lot easier, but most of the guys in the SB seem like great guys this year. The coaches too.

Of course, with the Colts having one of their best seasons ever, and Manning going to another SB, does this diminish Tony Dungy a little? Not his character of course, but his status as a coach? Both teams he left go to the SB the year after he's gone. I like him a lot, it's just a thought.

I'm happy for Greg Williams! He's made it to the Super Bowl. Do I wish Snyder would have promoted him to head coach? Yes, I do. Greg Williams would have made an excellent head coach for the Redskins, but it wasn't meant to be. While I pick the Colts over the Saints in SuperBowl XLIV, I'm happy Greg Williams has made it to the big game.

• 2 weeks later...
Manning is going to light up Williams' defense. Old man Favre threw over 300 yds. Peyton can't wait.
Well good for him, considering the fact their offense is the only reason why they have been so successful. Not GW's D!
The Saints defense is overrated IMO.
Peyton is going to put up 40 on his defense and I can't wait to see that.

Their defense is still their achilles heel which you will see in the Super Bowl.

We'll see how great it is when they face the Colts, that will tell you something. I think they will get shredded.

Oops! :silly:

Archived