Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why to trade Jason Campbell....

Looking For Number Four

I have written in-depth huge statistic driven factual based paragraphs on this topic, today.

Sonny Jurgensen said the real measure of a quarterback's greatness is how he does on third and long, when everybody and his bookie knows a pass is coming. We all know what Campbell usually does on 3rd and 8. He completes a 7 yard pass.

That having been said, the NFL system for computing the passer efficiency rating needs work.

It is

((completions divided by attempts X 100) - 30) X .05

Plus

(yards divided by attempts - 3) X .25

Plus

(TDs divided by attempts) X 20

Plus

2.375 - (INTs divided by attempts x 25)

Divide that number by 6 and then multiply by 100.

I would like to recommend to the NFL that red zone efficiency take greater weight. Also the percentage of 3rd down passes for 1st downs.

While I have no interest in writing in-depth huge statistic driven factual based paragraphs on this topic, I have been a Redskin season ticket holder for 32 years and I have studied Campbell. He's not the guy. I don't hate him. He seems like a nice guy. I still wonder if that inner dragon thing was a con.

Given what Campbell said about Sherman Smith, I think it is apparent that Campbell is losing his security blankets. I wonder what those meaningful words were? Maybe something like: "It's a team game. Jason Campbell is not responsible for us being losers."

"I'm definitely sorry to see him go," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "Coach Sherman Smith is a great guy. He's a guy full of character. When he spoke, he spoke with a lot of knowledge.

"You just listened when he spoke because the words he used were so meaningful. He knew hf ow to get your attention. He's a real motivator."

Mike may be on to something.

Lets see, where did Sherman Smith go? oh yea, Seattle.

Who has a new HC and GM. ? Seattle

Who has two first round picks? Seattle.

Now I am not saying they would give up a first rounder for JC, but if they traded for JC, then they would not have to use a first for a QB.

Thing of it is, we should know Shanahans feelings on Campbell during FA.

If they tender him, then he is not in their long range plans.

If they sign him to more then a one year deal, he could be the future.

Your level headed posts are much appreciated but I fear they may be in waste. At the conclusion of the KC game or the STL game or DET game I wanted nothing but a bazooka and unobstructed view of Jason Campbell, but rationale set in and the reality that the play calling and lack of elite talent was the true problem started to make more sense. Over time, Campbell proved that he could take 46 sacks and still put together an above average season. Therefore, my perception of the guy grew much less skewed. Unfortunately, some people are looking for the Yankees in the NFL and thought the Redskins were the answer. You cannot simply go out and find a C.C. Sabathia when you need one in this sport, in the NFL when you can get a Campbell you take it and enjoy it. In our position, we have the chance to get an young C.C. Sabathia which makes Campbell expendable. IMO, either way is a win, although I would prefer to take a shot on a young C.C. and see what happens.

It was not an above average season and as a matter of fact he played worse this year (which was his contract year when most everyone else that can shines) then he did last year.

Thank goodness this experiment is over. Let him go play for Al Davis where he can get paid and appreciated and then we can start winning.

I think ur dazed and confused. What has those guys done in their careers besides be backups.:doh:

Jason Campbell put up good numbers behind an abouslutely garbage oline.

3,600 20 tds 15 ints 86 rating, 65 comp %

Thats not bad. I think he is at least worth a 3rd rounder because he is a above average starter with upside.

I agree, he has shown he is an serviceable starter, not a garbage player. Definitely worth a 4th rounder.

Campbell is the modern day Jeff George, Brad Johnson, and Jeff Garcia...

He's going to be looped in that group of Good QB's who seem to wonder all over the league.

Its a shame that teams gamble everything for an attempt at a franchise QB. And more times than not they get set back further...

I have watched every single one of his games, his ups, his downs, the in-between. There are numerous 300 yard games when Campbell really shined. There are several, like KC game, where you just don't know what is going on. The reality is that he has become better and better every single season. With a really good o-line and one more season he will be a top 10 QB, he was top 15 this season with absolutely nothing to work with.

Which game(s) exactly do you think he shined?

The stats may say he was decent. But watching the games tells something completely different.

How many games did you watch this year and actually think Campbell did a good job? Honestly.

I was usually surprised with his stats after the game, because actually watching him, he looked terrible.

Did he look good in the first Giants game when he did nothing for 3 quarters besides fumble it (returned for a touchdown) and put up about 85 of his 211 yards and his only touchdown in garbage time? No, he did not look good.

Sure he put up 240 yards against the terrible Rams, but only led us to 9 freaking points on three field goals. No, he did not look good.

Did he look good against the Lions when he passed for 340 yards and two tds? Maybe, be he threw a pick and picked up most of yards in garbage time with the Lions trying to preserve a lead. For the first 3.5 quarters, he did nothing except for a 70 yard pass to Moss, 35 of which was YAC. No, he did not look good.

Three picks and a fumble the following week as we barely beat the Bucs. No, he did not look good.

Onlby 145 yards in a loss to the Panthers that we let them hang around in. No, he did not look good.

89 yards and an int and is benched for Todd Collins as we lose to the Chiefs. He looked god awful and puts up no points.

Keep in mind at this point we have played all terrible defenses (Giants were missing most of their starting secondary) and he has not put up one decent game.

Eagles- Campbell puts up 280 yards and 2 tds, but fumbles in the red zone, throws a pick. So so game. Best of the season yet and only leads us to 17 pts.

Atlanta- Mediocre stats but threw a pick that was returned for a td. M'eh, not great looking.

Denver- With a big day from Betts, a td from Hunter the Punter, Campbell puts up an "efficient" day to defeat the stellar Chris Simms.

All I am going to say about the Dallas game is that in two games against Dallas this year WE SCORED A COMBINED 6 POINTS. Sure Cambpell passed for over 250 yards but who cares when you only score 6 points.

Eagles- Campbell does well enough and keeps us in the game with solid stats but doesn't lead us to a comeback on the last drive when he throws a pass to Moss into the ground. I left this game thinking he looked ok.

New Orleans- After watching this game, I though Campbell looked pretty good. Terrible pick near the end of regulation though that helped NO out big time. But he played well, loss can't possibly be pinned on him

Raiders- Campbell looks good enough, outperforms Jamarcus Russell for the victory.

Giants- Campbell looks terrible, throws an easy pick returned for a td

Dallas- shuts us out. Campbell looks awful. Everyone looks awful

Chargers- Campbell puts up 280 yards and 2 tds with a solid rating, but it is against the Chargers back ups. Not impressed with him.

So out of our entire season, I came away at least slightly impressed with Campbell, in 3, maybe 4 games. And that is being generous.

Sure he put up career numbers, but they still are middle of the road. His passer rating doesn't tell you how many times he misses open receivers, how reliant he is on short passes, how many time he sails the ball over receivers heads, how his decision making in general is awful, that one game (Giants maybe) where he audibled right into a blitz, his inability to make presnap reads of any kind.

His total yards don't tell you all of the turnovers he made, all of the times he has made mistakes late in the game, his complete inability to lead a come back drive, his complete ineptness in the red zone.

The fact is the Redskins had scores of 0, 6 (twice), 9, 12, and 14 and they played some remarkably awful defenses.

The fact is the only QBs that Campbell truly outperformed head to head this year was Chris Simms and Jamarcus Russel. He played close to Brees, but ultimately Brees brought his team back and put them in a position to win. That is truly awful company

I think we will be lucky to get a 3rd or 4th for him. If you look at his stats he is ok. But no team is going to invest in him based on a stat line. Actually watching the games, he just doesn't come across as a good player

Campbell is the modern day Jeff George, Brad Johnson, and Jeff Garcia...

He's going to be looped in that group of Good QB's who seem to wonder all over the league.

Its a shame that teams gamble everything for an attempt at a franchise QB. And more times than not they get set back further...

IMO that is a slap in the face to Brad and Jeff

Is Chase back on the Saints?...Damn, he could end up going to the Super Bowl lol :rotflmao: (unless he's practice squad...they don't go or get rings, correct?)
In the recent Saints-Cards playoff game, I thought I saw Chase in a Saints uniform huddled with the other Saints' QBs discussing plays over some diagram. Chase must be the #3 QB on the roster for the Saints.

I just checked and discovered that Chase Daniel was promoted to the active roster prior to the Saint's regular season finale on January 1, 2010.

I'm glad he's able to stick with the team -- with Brunell nearing the end of his career, that would give Daniel a chance at an NFL backup role.

In the recent Saints-Cards playoff game, I thought I saw Chase in a Saints uniform huddled with the other Saints' QBs discussing plays over some diagram. Chase must be the #3 QB on the roster for the Saints.

I just checked and discovered that Chase Daniel was promoted to the active roster prior to the Saint's regular season finale on January 1, 2010.

I'm glad he's able to stick with the team -- with Brunell nearing the end of his career, that would give Daniel a chance at an NFL backup role.

Real happy for Scott too that he's got a chance of winning it all.

He always seemed like a genuinely nice guy, and although it tapered off at the end, there's still some real happy memory's of him, Moss and Cooley lighting it up back in '05.

Hail.

I think you should change your login to LOOKING 4 NONEWTHREADS...Every thread you have started (about 10) is basicly the same JC SUX and that 0line isn't important in the 1st round etc....why not when you have a thought try posting in the other JC has to go threads....even one of your own...just look at your past threads dude...3000 or so views and only 50 posts or so...that should tell you ES either has nothing more to add to the tired topic or they don't care in the 1st place IMO of course. HTTR

Every thread you have started (about 10) is basicly the same JC SUX and views and only 50 posts or so...that should tell you ES either has nothing more to add to the tired topic or they don't care in the 1st place IMO of course. HTTR

There can never be enough JC SUX threads. By my count most ESers are not tired of bashing Campbell ... only the Campbell lovers like you. We want him outta here and will continue to post until Mr. Nice Guy leaves on the bus.

Which game(s) exactly do you think he shined?

The stats may say he was decent. But watching the games tells something completely different.

How many games did you watch this year and actually think Campbell did a good job? Honestly.

I was usually surprised with his stats after the game, because actually watching him, he looked terrible.

Did he look good in the first Giants game when he did nothing for 3 quarters besides fumble it (returned for a touchdown) and put up about 85 of his 211 yards and his only touchdown in garbage time? No, he did not look good.

Sure he put up 240 yards against the terrible Rams, but only led us to 9 freaking points on three field goals. No, he did not look good.

Did he look good against the Lions when he passed for 340 yards and two tds? Maybe, be he threw a pick and picked up most of yards in garbage time with the Lions trying to preserve a lead. For the first 3.5 quarters, he did nothing except for a 70 yard pass to Moss, 35 of which was YAC. No, he did not look good.

Three picks and a fumble the following week as we barely beat the Bucs. No, he did not look good.

Onlby 145 yards in a loss to the Panthers that we let them hang around in. No, he did not look good.

89 yards and an int and is benched for Todd Collins as we lose to the Chiefs. He looked god awful and puts up no points.

Keep in mind at this point we have played all terrible defenses (Giants were missing most of their starting secondary) and he has not put up one decent game.

Eagles- Campbell puts up 280 yards and 2 tds, but fumbles in the red zone, throws a pick. So so game. Best of the season yet and only leads us to 17 pts.

Atlanta- Mediocre stats but threw a pick that was returned for a td. M'eh, not great looking.

Denver- With a big day from Betts, a td from Hunter the Punter, Campbell puts up an "efficient" day to defeat the stellar Chris Simms.

All I am going to say about the Dallas game is that in two games against Dallas this year WE SCORED A COMBINED 6 POINTS. Sure Cambpell passed for over 250 yards but who cares when you only score 6 points.

Eagles- Campbell does well enough and keeps us in the game with solid stats but doesn't lead us to a comeback on the last drive when he throws a pass to Moss into the ground. I left this game thinking he looked ok.

New Orleans- After watching this game, I though Campbell looked pretty good. Terrible pick near the end of regulation though that helped NO out big time. But he played well, loss can't possibly be pinned on him

Raiders- Campbell looks good enough, outperforms Jamarcus Russell for the victory.

Giants- Campbell looks terrible, throws an easy pick returned for a td

Dallas- shuts us out. Campbell looks awful. Everyone looks awful

Chargers- Campbell puts up 280 yards and 2 tds with a solid rating, but it is against the Chargers back ups. Not impressed with him.

So out of our entire season, I came away at least slightly impressed with Campbell, in 3, maybe 4 games. And that is being generous.

Sure he put up career numbers, but they still are middle of the road. His passer rating doesn't tell you how many times he misses open receivers, how reliant he is on short passes, how many time he sails the ball over receivers heads, how his decision making in general is awful, that one game (Giants maybe) where he audibled right into a blitz, his inability to make presnap reads of any kind.

His total yards don't tell you all of the turnovers he made, all of the times he has made mistakes late in the game, his complete inability to lead a come back drive, his complete ineptness in the red zone.

The fact is the Redskins had scores of 0, 6 (twice), 9, 12, and 14 and they played some remarkably awful defenses.

The fact is the only QBs that Campbell truly outperformed head to head this year was Chris Simms and Jamarcus Russel. He played close to Brees, but ultimately Brees brought his team back and put them in a position to win. That is truly awful company

I think we will be lucky to get a 3rd or 4th for him. If you look at his stats he is ok. But no team is going to invest in him based on a stat line. Actually watching the games, he just doesn't come across as a good player

--------------------------------------------

Excellent comphrehensive indictment of Campbell's ineptitude!

• 2 months later...

Archived