Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why to trade Jason Campbell....

Looking For Number Four

And Spanuolo would be lucky to get two more years, so developing a rookie QB might not be something he would be excited to do.

Exactly. They need to win some games NOW. At least the Redskins have a decent defense to keep them in games. The Rams are horrible.

They can get Suh with the first, a DB with their 33, an OL or WR with their 65th pick, and trade for JC with their high 4th round which is essentialy a low 3rd.

That pick could be a quality OL that can be groomed to a starter or RB that could start.

This is where your argument is flawed. You are stating that we have a proven commodity in JC. So obviously trading him and going for the unknown would be silly.

HOWEVER, many of us don't feel we have a proven commodity in JC. If thats the case, then trading him WOULD NOT be silly.

Now, obviously its not up to us. If the coaching staff feels that JC is not the QB of the future for the direction they want to take the offense, then trading him IS NOT stupid and going with a QB they feel could be their franchise QB is the way to go.

The real debate here I think is ceiling. Jason's ceiling is not in the realm of Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Warner..... He will be one of the most accurate passers in the league (hovering around 65%) and in the system with good WRs stick between 22-28 TDs while limiting his INTs. That is impressive and valuable, I agree, not something I'm horrifed with if we had a stout line, good run game, one stud WR, and a lights out defense. If the Jets had Campbell instead of Sanchez right now I think their chances to beat IND would be quite improved, but that is irrelevant.

Bradford and Claussen are both projecting by the game's top scouts to have a ceiling closer to Rivers. They also projected Russell to be a number one, something I was utterly shocked about, so I suppose their analysis only goes so far. The bottom line is we do not know if they are right or wrong but we do know that Campbell is not going to throw 30 TDs in a season. That is where we are, Kyle and Mike Shanahan are going to evaluate them until their eyes are pulsating and decide if the higher ceiling is worth the gamble.

this was posted on ESPN Insider today:

Trade options for Campbell

3:49PM ET

Jason Campbell | Redskins | Interested: Rams?, Seahawks?, Panthers?, Jaguars?, Browns?

Washington Redskins QB Jason Campbell will be a restricted free agent this upcoming offseason, and the rumors gained steam all season that he will playing somewhere else in 2010. Things may have changed when Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen took over running the team, but we're getting mixed signals.

NFC East blogger Matt Mosley speculated on some trade options if Campbell is put on the block, and he lists the Browns, Rams and Seahawks. Since it's January -- a.k.a. NFL Speculation Month -- we'll toss the Jaguars and Panthers out there, too. As would be the case with Donovan McNabb, Campbell represents an upgrade for either of these feline-oriented teams, both of which could return to playoff contention with the right QB in place.

It would be nice to have 5 teams showing genuine interest in possibly obtaining Campbell...

I like Colt Brennan as much if not more then any QB prospect coming out this year based on having 2 NFL training camps 8 Preseason game appearances under his belt.

*Except for Colt McCoy's, i love this kids potential and i think he would be a steal as a 3rd round pick if we had one.

Anyone could see he wasn't NFL material when he was playing at Missouri' date=' why are we even committing to a conversation about a player who should be in the CFL, who's talents at QB weren't regarded enough for someone to throw so much as a 7th rd draft pick at him?

[/quote']

The difference between Chase Daniels and Colt Brennan was pretty slim during the preseason.

And taking a flier on Colt Brennan in the 6th round isn't that much different then sgning Chase Daniel as a rookie UDFA.

Question' date=' what team is Chase currently gracing his presence with these day's?[/quote']

The Saints

http://www.nfl.com/teams/neworleanssaints/roster?team=NO

HTTR!

Now, obviously its not up to us. If the coaching staff feels that JC is not the QB of the future for the direction they want to take the offense, then trading him IS NOT stupid and going with a QB they feel could be their franchise QB is the way to go.

That is why Bruce Allen will prove his ability to me in this situation. As I have stated before, in the history of the NFL no QB that threw for 3700 yards and 20 TDs didn't start for his team the next season. NEVER! We as an organization have a lot of destructive trends, but this would be the worst. I mean just think about it. Some people here are willing to let JC go, and put Colt behind center....are you ***** joking?! Colt Brennan, the guy not good enough to beat out Todd Collins, all of a sudden will be a starting QB in the NFL. I can hear Demarcus Ware licking his chops already. Colt Brennan, the guy like Sam Bradford, who came from a spread offense couldn't beat out a career back up? Like I said if we let go of JC we are going to be the same ole Redskins, full of talent, managed by idiots, with a chump fan base. Like I said we better get a 1 for JC, because if we trade him we will be at the top of the board on draft day in the very near future.

campbell had a better year than warner in the 21-30 yard range, that is for sure.

but check this out. i considered mid range passes 11-20 yards.

See, for me, I consider mid-range passes to be between 15-25 yards lol...but ESPN.com doesn't break it down that way. So I went with 21-30 yards. If passes of 10 yards or less are derided as "dump off" passes, I'm not sure throwing a pass 11 yards should be considered mid-range.

look at the comp % and TD/INT numbers for those two:

Campbell: 24/54, 440 yards, 44.4 comp %, 3 TD, 2 INT

Warner: 67/102, 1223 yards, 65.7 comp %, 10 TD, 5 INT

those numbers are night and day. warner throws 15-20 yard strikes to boldin and fitz and they run them another 20.

Oh there's ZERO argument that Warner is better than Campbell lol :)...My stats were in support (or in argument, rather) of how much the Cardinals' passing game relies on "downfield" passing, and thus on how well Campbell might fit in with them.

I like Colt Brennan as much if not more then any QB prospect coming out this year based on having 2 NFL training camps 8 Preseason game appearances under his belt.

*Except for Colt McCoy's, i love this kids potential and i think he would be a steal as a 3rd round pick if we had one.

The difference between Chase Daniels and Colt Brennan was pretty slim during the preseason.

And taking a flier on Colt Brennan in the 6th round isn't that much different then sgning Chase Daniel as a rookie UDFA.

The Saints

http://www.nfl.com/teams/neworleanssaints/roster?team=NO

HTTR!

Is Chase back on the Saints?...Damn, he could end up going to the Super Bowl lol :rotflmao: (unless he's practice squad...they don't go or get rings, correct?)

I feel bad for you Ghost. Your going to be so disappointed when the offers come in for JC.

I think Ghost was agreeing with you. He said Leinart would not start over Campbell and that Leinart only care about partying and taking pictures.

Surely the line is drawn on the board, but it appears that more people are on the side that the offers are going to be coming. There just is not anything out there that is not going to be expensive, old, and/or unknown. Campbell is fairly cheap, fairly young, and can handle the QB position fairly good. He will not drive down the field with 2 mins left in the Super Bowl to bring home the trophy but with a great team around him he could get you there. If you have Cutler or Sanchez throwing seventy four INTs you are not going to the playoffs, period. The Jets now run the ball 40 times per game. With that defense and run game Campbell could probably work a decent pass game off play action, not to mention Keller, Cotch, and Edwards are above average. Sanchez, T. Jackson, J.P. Losman, etc. simply make terrible decisions. Campbell does not take risks becuase he is not a gifted QB, but he knows that, and does well working around it. Teams with a great defense, great running game, and good o-line could go really far with Campbell. At this point, we are not there and should take the advantage of having this horrid season to get a signal caller with HUGE upside. This is the difference between Campbell and Claussen/Bradford. It is not to say Campbell is bad, it is to say that he is not the next Rivers, and no matter what is not going to be. Bradford and Claussen very well could be, and there is a good bit there to say they will be at least as good as Campbell.

See, for me, I consider mid-range passes to be between 15-25 yards lol...but ESPN.com doesn't break it down that way. So I went with 21-30 yards. If passes of 10 yards or less are derided as "dump off" passes, I'm not sure throwing a pass 11 yards should be considered mid-range.

Oh there's ZERO argument that Warner is better than Campbell lol :)...My stats were in support (or in argument, rather) of how much the Cardinals' passing game relies on "downfield" passing, and thus on how well Campbell might fit in with them.

i know, lol.

the cardinals passing game seems to rely on warner hitting guys in full stride 15-20 yards down the field and turning those plays into huge gains. his mid to short numbers were sky high last year, but i think his accuracy leads to great YAC for those monster receivers he has.

it is pretty telling how his deep game fell off this season as opposed to how good it was last year.

Campbell posted 20 TDs to 15 INTs, almost 3700 yards, all while being sacked 46 times and with a mediocre core of wide receivers. His completion percentage has improved from 53 to 60 to 62 to this season's 64 over the past four seasons. He had the 15th best passer rating in the league and amassed almost 400 more yards than last year with only one more passing attempt. All of these facts sum up to make Campbell one of the most prominent QB targets for teams that want someone young with upside, unlike McNabb (old, probably going to decline, and heavy pricetag). He is also more proven than Vick (recent history). If Farve or Warner do not come back he would seemingly be a great fit. Both have great defenses, good/great lines, good/great WRs, and good/great RBs which would mean they really only need someone who can manage the game and throw TDs along the way (unlike Jackson or Leinart). ARZ's WRs would make Campbell better than what he is and Beanie Wells appears to be able to make their running game a larger part of the offense. Sidney Rice is rapidly rising to star status and Harvin is not far behind, this along with the second best RB in the league would also make life easy for Campbell when coupled with the 2nd best o-line in football (Jets).

Perhaps STL want Suh and a QB, there is another situation that makes a lot of sense. Perhaps BUF is finally getting the picture that need a QB and if Tebow (stretch anyway), Claussen, and Bradford are gone their options are Campbell or one of the aforementioned old with limited upside or the question mark that is Vick.

Other QB options in draft:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2010_QB

LeFevour bandwagon, please read analysis:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/559484

That being said, the tenured contract requires teams to forfeit a 1st round pick to sign him. Perhaps we do them a favor and only demand a 2nd rounder. In which case we have two 2nd rounders, perhaps a phenomenal one if the trade were with STL. This along with Free Agency should be able to get the line back in the right direction and justify taking a shot at a franchise QB.

Here are some of the likely 2nd round lineman:

http://www.squidoo.com/NFL_Mock_Draft

There is also a pretty good chance that some team, Jets last year, become obsessed with one of these guys and makes us a deal we cannot refuse for the pick.

We should trade Candle because 2 out of 3 games this season that he and Todd Collins played in, Collins outplayed Candle.

Nevermind 2007, where TC replacing JC turned us from below .500 to a playoff team.

Better to start Todd Collins, while grooming a stud QB, and get a draft pick for Candle even if it's just a sixth, than just start Candle.

Ah, I see...it's "easy" for you to see Chase just won't cut it in the NFL, even if you've only seen him in limited play...but it's "hypocritical" for others to see the same thing in Colt because they've only seen him in limited play lol. Yeah, nothing hypocritical about that whatsoever.

No I knew before he entered the NFL that he was not an NFL QB, it was an easy evaluation if you watched him college.

I made a similar evaluation 5 years ago, I stated that trading up for JC was an absolute joke, and that we will spend 4 years figuring out JC is not an NFL QB, the reasoning behind the 4 years was that we were so stupid in the front office that it would take them that long to figure out JC is a bust, so far I have been right on both counts, although I vastly underestimated the stupidity part, 5 years and counting.:doh:

What it comes down to is this, you either have a gift to evaluate talent, or you don't, numbers can be horribly misleading, and that is where true talent of evaluation comes in, the ability to know when a player is a product of a system, or when a player has been hand cuffed by a system, or lack of talent surrounding him. IMO Colts biggest challenge in the NFL is not whether or not he can play because I think he can, it's whether or not he can stay healthy, he has a frail body type that may not be able to take the average hit on the NFL level, getting past JC will now take flight now that we have a legitimate offensive coach who's not scared to make a QB change running things.

Bottom line: If the team isn't intent on keeping JC long term, which no one can think they will, then they should trade him...PERIOD!

They can stick Colt or some other Vet QB behind the OL while its being rebuilt and let the rookie QB (Bradford) sit.

Sounds great except for when Albert Haynesworth knocks Bradford out for the season by looking at him the wrong way.

Exactly. They need to win some games NOW. At least the Redskins have a decent defense to keep them in games. The Rams are horrible.

They can get Suh with the first, a DB with their 33, an OL or WR with their 65th pick, and trade for JC with their high 4th round which is essentially a low 3rd.

That pick could be a quality OL that can be groomed to a starter or RB that could start.

With so many teams thinking about winning now, and only a Jason Campbell away, I would seriously doubt that we settle for a late 3rd. He is worth a 1st rounder to some teams that are right there but need a slightly above average QB (Panthers, Vikings if Farve is gone).

Odds are we are going to get stuck with a second rounder, which STL would have the best of and certainly be able to attain a real starting QB for without any hesitation from Shanahan. Their 3rd, 4th, 5th and free agency along with Campbell could get them pretty close with a CB, OT, and OG. Jackson and Atgowe are Pro Bowl caliber, Chris Long made some strides, Avery has flashed potential, and their LB corp is not horrible. With a good WR with size, some OL help, and good CB they would be back in consideration. Suh will have a Haynesworth effect in that those around him are going to be better than what they are, look at Titan's defense without him. If they could get Jackson some more holes and a CB then they are one more draft from being back in the hunt.

The more likely option is going to be Panthers, Vikings, Buffalo, Dolphins, Raiders, Browns, Jags, maybe ARZ. That is a lot of teams, odds are someone coughs up the 2nd round pick.

JAX

This would also allow the Jags to spend their pick on defense or WR instead of Tebow, which is still a big question mark, regardless of the tickets his name would sell the first season. Their revamped o-line, MJD, Campbell, and one really good WR would have that offense running quite well. The defense is not terrible far off, spending that 1st rounder on a stud will probably be the missing link.

MIN

With Campbell the Vikings probably are back in the playoffs without Farve, with T. Jackson I'm MUST less confident.

BUF

Buffalo is drafting too late to get the QB they need, new management may want to go with a proven commodity to preserve their jobs. Fred Jackson and Lynch are quite the two headed monster, Lee Evans still has talent, and James Hardy has a lot of upside. This would allow them to spend their early 1st rounder on Derrick Morgan or something else that would get their defense to that next level.

MIA

Miami has Henne who is like a Campbell with an even lower ceiling. He, along with Beck, are best served as backups. Lafell will be sitting there which along with Campbell could be what Ginn, Jr. needs opposite him to stabilize the Miami passing game. With their stout wildcat they really just need someone who can hit passes when they get the chance, Henne cannot even do this (12 TDs/ 14 INTs). Odds are Joe Haden is sitting there as well who looks like the next DRC which would get their defense to the next level. This would be all for none if their passing game is non-existent or imploding the hard work the run game has provided. Campbell would not give them a feared passing game but certainly one that would nicely compliment their wildcat. Campbell threw 8 more TDs and only 1 more INTs, while completing 65% versus 60% and notched an additional 1,000 yards last season.

No I knew before he entered the NFL that he was not an NFL QB' date=' it was an easy evaluation if you watched him college.

I made a similar evaluation 5 years ago, I stated that trading up for JC was an absolute joke, and that we will spend 4 years figuring out JC is not an NFL QB, the reasoning behind the 4 years was that we were so stupid in the front office that it would take them that long to figure out JC is a bust, so far I have been right on both counts, although I vastly underestimated the stupidity part, 5 years and counting.:doh:

What it comes down to is this, you either have a gift to evaluate talent, or you don't, numbers can be horribly misleading, and that is where true talent of evaluation comes in, the ability to know when a player is a product of a system, or when a player has been hand cuffed by a system, or lack of talent surrounding him. IMO Colts biggest challenge in the NFL is not whether or not he can play because I think he can, it's whether or not he can stay healthy, he has a frail body type that may not be able to take the average hit on the NFL level, getting past JC will now take flight now that we have a legitimate offensive coach who's not scared to make a QB change running things.

Dude, I'm laughing out loud at work because you just said that. All of a sudden YOU have an eye for talent because you weren't high on Campbell? :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

That's just ridiculous.

I know there is a thread out there from this past off season about what type of numbers Campbell needs to show you to deserve a committment from the Skins. From what I remember this season's numbers by him hit on a lot of of those marks. If anyone remembers what I am talking about, bump it. I don't know how.:(

Campbell is a solid starting QB in this league. IF the Skins do get rid of him they have to at least get a mid first round pick for him, that sounds about right to me for a solid not spectacular QB.

With so many teams thinking about winning know and only a Jason Campbell away I would seriously doubt that settle for a late 3rd. He is worth a 1st rounder to some teams that are right there but need a slightly above average QB (Panthers, Vikings if Farve is gone). Odds are we are going to get stuck with a second rounder, which STL would have the best of and certainly be able to attain the real starting QB for without any hesitation for Shanahan. Their 3rd, 4th, 5th and free agency along with Campbell could get them pretty close with a CB, OT, and OG. Jackson and Atgowe are Pro Bowl caliber, Chris Long made some strides, Avery has flashed potential, and their LB corp is not horrible. With a good WR with size, some OL help, and good CB they would be back in consideration. Suh will have a Haynesworth effect in that those around him are going to be better than what they are, look at Titan's defense without him. If they could get Jackson so more holes and a CB then there are one more draft from being back in the hunt.

The more likely option is going to be Panthers, Vikings, Buffalo, Dolphins, Raiders, Browns, Jags, maybe ARZ. That is a lot of teams, odds are someone coughs up the 2nd round pick.

This would also allow the Jags to spend their pick on defense or WR instead of Tebow, which is still a big question mark, regardless of the tickets his name would sell the first season. Their revamped o-line, MJD, Campbell, and one really good WR would have that offense running quite well. The defense is not terrible far off, spending that 1st rounder on a stud will probably be the missing link.

With Campbell the Vikings proably are back in the playoffs without Farve, with T. Jackson I'm MUST less confident.

Buffalo is drafting too late to get the QB they need, new management may want to go with a proven commodity to preserve their jobs. Fred Jackson and Lynch are quite the two headed monster, Lee Evans still has talent, and James Hardy has a lot of upside. This would allow them to spend their early 1st rounder on Derrick Morgan or something else that would get their defense to that next level.

Miami has Henne who is like a Campbell with an even lower ceiling. He, along with Beck, are best served as backups. Lafell could be want Ginn, Jr. needs opposite him to open up the passing game. With their stout wildcat they really just need someone who can hit passes when they get the chance, Henne cannot even do this. Odds are Joe Haden is sitting there as well who looks like the next DRC which would get their defense to the next level. This would be all for none if their passing game is non-existent. Campbell would not give them a feared passing game but certainly one that would nicely compliment their wildcat.

I'm a Campbell supporter and have been since his tall ass was sitting on the bench behind Brunell.

Jason Campbell is NOT worth a 1st rounder because this team does NOT treat him like he's worth a 1st rounder. If they show like they actually willing to throw some coin his way then maybe a team will be willing to trade for him. Since this organization (or the old one at least) showed little to no respect for him, what do you expect? I would say he's valued as a 2nd and 4th.

I don't want to trade him though. Jason Campbell was a good Kansas City game and one more GOOD game away from a glorified 4,000 passing yards. Something I know people who adore right now looking back at 2008/09.

I think ur dazed and confused. What has those guys done in their careers besides be backups.:doh:

Jason Campbell put up good numbers behind an abouslutely garbage oline.

3,600 20 tds 15 ints 86 rating, 65 comp %

Thats not bad. I think he is at least worth a 3rd rounder because he is a above average starter with upside.

Lol do you actually think any coach would start JC over Warner?

We should trade Candle because 2 out of 3 games this season that he and Todd Collins played in, Collins outplayed Candle.

Nevermind 2007, where TC replacing JC turned us from below .500 to a playoff team.

Better to start Todd Collins, while grooming a stud QB, and get a draft pick for Candle even if it's just a sixth, than just start Candle.

We have a really good defense, if we can spend the two second round picks and a little money in Free Agency on the line I think we could put together something close to the Jets and let our rookie QB take it easy. If Collins makes a lot more sense after pre-season, sure, but Claussen played three years under Weiss and is probably pro-ready. Bradford has GREAT IQ, quick release, and makes quick decisions which should enable him to thrive fairly quick in the Shanahans' West Coast offense with two stud pass catching TEs and three above average WRs.

I know there is a thread out there from this past off season about what type of numbers Campbell needs to show you to deserve a committment from the Skins. From what I remember this season's numbers by him hit on a lot of of those marks. If anyone remembers what I am talking about, bump it. I don't know how.:(

Campbell is a solid starting QB in this league. IF the Skins do get rid of him they have to at least get a mid first round pick for him, that sounds about right to me for a solid not spectacular QB.

AFAIK, the JC supporters lost that bet you speak of. And some of the Candle-lovers reneged on the bet involved.

AFAIK, the JC supporters lost that bet you speak of. And some of the Candle-lovers reneged on the bet involved.

So-Cal took Dominion on that bet. He managed to to clean up the board a lot in the process. Except for the guys who Craw fished. LOL

Say what u want about the guy, but his numbers don't lie. He improves every year in a different offense. He can play under horrible conditions. (no protection) If you trade a starting QB you must get value for him or there is no use of trading him. JASON IS A STARTER. I think he has proven that.

He might not be a "Franchise QB", but he's a good QB

Besides how many "Franchise QBs" are there: 6?

Manning

Brady

Brees

Rivers

Big Ben

Rodgers

If numbers dont lie then why come we dont want him? I hope whoever decides to look at picking him up, will be smart and see that there is a reason why a team is letting go of a guy that has OK stats. More to it than just stats dude.

The real debate here I think is ceiling. Jason's ceiling is not in the realm of Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Warner.....

I think i agree.

But...people wrote off Warner when he was the 'stop gap' QB on a bad Giants team.

People wrote Brees off in San Diego.

And although Campbell likely doesn't have the potential of an NFL elite how do you think his potential stacks up against second tier 'franchise' QBs like an Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler or older QBs like Pennington or Matt Hasselbeck?

Imo the problem with Jason is the Redskins, we can't really know what Jason's ceiling is because he's barely had a foundation.

`

The bottom line is we do not know if they are right or wrong but we do know that Campbell is not going to throw 30 TDs in a season. That is where we are, Kyle and Mike Shanahan are going to evaluate them until their eyes are pulsating and decide if the higher ceiling is worth the gamble.

Personally the only QB i really like from this draft is Colt McCoy.

Bradford's skill set isn't very different from our own Colt Brennan except the 2 training camps and 8 preseason games of experience in Colt's favor.

Campbell might not ever throw for 30 TDs in a season, not many QBs do, but i think he's closer to throwing 30 TDs then Colt Brennan, Claussen and Bradford.

I glad Mike and Kyle are running the show now and there should be no question these guys know what they're doing.

Who knows Jason Campbell might turn out to be our QB afterall.

Jason put everything on the line this year, he plays hard and never gives up. To be able to put up those numbers with no O line just shows you how good he could be. I want to see Shanahan work with him and see at what level he really could be at. If its not a 2nd round pick why trade.....thats how I feel

Archived