Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Redskins should say goodbye to Jerry Gray

themurf

gray011510.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

After a grueling regular season that ended with a disappointing 4-12 record and resulted in a major organizational overhaul, things have (thankfully) quieted down for the Washington Redskins.

Other than players doing exit interviews and, in the case of guys like defensive end Andre Carter, getting surgery after another season worth of bumps and bruises, the only other real news these days involves new head coach Mike Shanahan rounding out the rest of his coaching staff.

Names like Jim Haslett, Kyle Shanahan and Bobby Turner have been added, while coaches like Sherman Smith, Stump Mitchell and Greg Blache will move on to the next chapter in their respective lives.

While Shanahan (the elder) still has a few more decisions to make while finishing his coaching staff here in Washington, one name who appears to be on the outside looking in is Jerry Gray, who has served as the team’s secondary coach since 2006.

After interviewing for the head coaching position and the defensive coordinator gig, Gray landed neither. Now, it is being reported that Gray’s time in D.C. may be coming to an end – with Gray being given permission to interview for a possible job with Pete Carroll, who just took over the Seattle Seahawks.

Let us be perfectly clear – this isn’t a bad thing.

We don’t have anything personal against Gray, but over the last few months he’s become a bit of a lightning rod for controversy. And in all honestly, that’s something the Redskins can do without.

As previously noted, Gray interviewed for the head coaching job of the Redskins. Criticism, from inside and outside of football, mounted when it was learned that he did so while Jim Zorn was still holding the job. Some wondered how a coach could be so disrespectful and, in their words, stab Zorn in the back by not even having the professional courtesy to wait for the job to officially become vacant. Conspiracy theorists concocted a scenario in which Gray knew he wasn’t a viable candidate for the job, but he interviewed as a personal favor to management to help them satisfy the Rooney Rule, which mandates that at least one minority candidate be interviewed.

“You scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours.”

Of course, that was never the case. As we’ve previously written, Gray interviewed for the job for one simple reason – he wants to continue to climb up the coaching ladder. Having already interviewed for the head coaching job at the University of Memphis earlier in the year, Gray jumped at the chance at a possible promotion within his own organization.

Once Blache walked away from his media obligations during the season due to medical reasons, Gray stepped up and assumed those responsibilities. When the Redskins needed him to step up, he did so without a second thought. In his eyes, that showed what kind of team player he is. He had to be thinking: what’s the big deal if I jumped the gun by a couple days and interviewed for a position that everyone knew was going to eventually be available? Does it honestly change anything whether I interview for the job now or three weeks later?

We’re not going to crucify Gray for the timing of the interview. We can completely understand someone who doesn’t plan on working in the same job for the rest of their life, so why hold it against Gray if he was simply trying to advance his career?

Now, that being said, there are two reasons we’d be okay if Gray moved on to another organization.

Click here for the full article.

To keee it simple, good if Gray is out, good if Slownik is in---Slo has a deep and well-versed background in AFC/NFC, and being part of both physical/smash-mouth & finesse/speed schemes (it even runs in the family; his son Ryan's been with the Cards as a Defensive assistant for a few years and is now DB coach).

I fundamentally like the "in with the new out with the old" aspect of the plan so far given our situation. I even have trepidation in Keeping Danny Smith, but his units (minus kickers) have not been a perennial problem and he's used new players effectively. I am comfortable at this point having some faith in Shanny.

Nice write up Mr Murphy Sir, and I couldn't agree more.

I've never quite gotten the love on these here boards still for a man who's unit has been the ass end, in most every respect, to a pretty decent front seven.

Here's hoping he get's the Seattle gig, and take's his bush league, fundamentally lacking tackling teaching with him.

Hail.

While I agree the secondary regressed this year, we've got to wonder how much of it was Gray's fault. If the D Coordinator wants the secondary to play a certain way, the secondary plays that way whether or not the Secondary Coach likes it. Furthermore, our secondary has been the strength of our team year in and year out under Gray's tutelage (with the exception of '06), and that's been the case without any consistent pressure from the Dline.

That being said, it is very weird and wondrous how the secondary can go from a strength with little to no QB pressure from the Dline to a weakness with a lot of QB pressure from the Dline, all within the same scheme.

I definitely see why Gray could be pointed at here. He also seemed to apply a double standard when it came to Laron Landry and double moves. Carlos got benched for it, yet after the Saints game Landry didn't?

While I agree the secondary regressed this year, we've got to wonder how much of it was Gray's fault. If the D Coordinator wants the secondary to play a certain way, the secondary plays that way whether or not the Secondary Coach likes it. Furthermore, our secondary has been the strength of our team year in and year out under Gray's tutelage (with the exception of '06), and that's been the case without any consistent pressure from the Dline.

That being said, it is very weird and wondrous how the secondary can go from a strength with little to no QB pressure from the Dline to a weakness with a lot of QB pressure from the Dline, all within the same scheme.

I definitely see why Gray could be pointed at here. He also seemed to apply a double standard when it came to Laron Landry and double moves. Carlos got benched for it, yet after the Saints game Landry didn't?

We do NOT have good safeties... our best corner is DeAngelo Hall who can't stop Jake Delhomme on 4th and 1, which iced the game...

When the players that you are responsible for play with NO discipline, and your #1 corner and #1 safety find double moves IRRESISTABLE, the coaching is not getting through to them.

When the players that you are responsible for play with NO discipline, and your #1 corner and #1 safety find double moves IRRESISTABLE, the coaching is not getting through to them.

I understand that... but I also understand history and the advantage one gains when looking at the overall picture. Gray didn't do a good enough job this year, but how much of it was Blache and the scheme he told Gray to employ? Furthermore, it seemed that as the season progressed the DBs bit more, and that could be due to the pressure those guys felt to make some plays with the Dline playing so well and them having yet to take advantage of it.

But one thing I find ridiculous is some of the unjustified anger shown towards Gray. Gray has year in and year out coached up some of the best tackling Dbs for us, yet because this year his players failed to do what they've consistently done it's as if that's simply the type of coach he is now and forever. How soon we forget how great our CBs specifically have been in terms of tackling. Yes, he's failed to turn them into real playmakers that can catch the ball, but to act like he's this awful coach is narrow-minded at best and extremely unappreciative at worse.

I guess in the end all of this is speculation more than anything. The question is, can Gray get this secondary to play better or can't he? Can he coach them up to start making plays more often, or can't he? I'm going to assume that Shanahan will make the best decision here, seeing as he's made sound ones so far. :)

I understand that... but I also understand history and the advantage one gains when looking at the overall picture. Gray didn't do a good enough job this year, but how much of it was Blache and the scheme he told Gray to employ? Furthermore, it seemed that as the season progressed the DBs bit more, and that could be due to the pressure those guys felt to make some plays with the Dline playing so well and them having yet to take advantage of it.

But one thing I find ridiculous is some of the unjustified anger shown towards Gray. Gray has year in and year out coached up some of the best tackling Dbs for us, yet because this year his players failed to do what they've consistently done it's as if that's simply the type of coach he is now and forever. How soon we forget how great our CBs specifically have been in terms of tackling. Yes, he's failed to turn them into real playmakers that can catch the ball, but to act like he's this awful coach is narrow-minded at best and extremely unappreciative at worse.

I guess in the end all of this is speculation more than anything. The question is, can Gray get this secondary to play better or can't he? Can he coach them up to start making plays more often, or can't he? I'm going to assume that Shanahan will make the best decision here, seeing as he's made sound ones so far. :)

Here's my stance - I completely understand that Gray had to run his secondary in the system that Greg Blache wanted. But that doesn't mean he's automatically off the hook and all blame goes to Blache. We all have a boss to report to, but we are still held accountable for our job. Blache ran his defense under the head coach, but we are still able to judge him on the job his unit did. Same hold true for Gray and the secondary.

Here's my stance - I completely understand that Gray had to run his secondary in the system that Greg Blache wanted. But that doesn't mean he's automatically off the hook and all blame goes to Blache. We all have a boss to report to, but we are still held accountable for our job. Blache ran his defense under the head coach, but we are still able to judge him on the job his unit did. Same hold true for Gray and the secondary.

Sure, but we aren't in a position to make those judgements. This is a job for the new staff to sit down and figure out what the issues were and address them. I have no problem either way with Gray, because he didn't suddenly suck as a coach. That being said, I can understand if the new guy wants a new face. Not sure about Slovick, tho, since I never felt that Denver's DBs were all that great outside of Champ.

Unfortunately, that is how business works in the NFL. I wish that Coach Gray would still be around because he is one of the more popular coaches but I am sure Shanny has someone else in mind but you never know. Gray will move on to another team and if he goes to Seattle, I wish him good luck. They shouldnt say goodbye to Gray but Shanny prolly has someone else already on his palate.

At least you are honest about your reasons. I'll still stand by that one bad year doesn't a bad coach make.

The only coach on last year's staff I really cared about surviving the house cleaning after Joe Bugel retired was Kirk Olivadotti. I'm a fan of him, both as a person and as a coach. Getting Brian Orakpo and Chris Wilson to the point where they weren't complete liabilities as linebackers in coverage was reason enough why the guy should stay.

Archived