Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN: Report: Haslett In Ashburn; Broncos Coach DC-Bound?

JimmyZ123

Haslett's NFL DC experience:

1996 Saints: 13th in yards, 20th in points

1997-99 Steelers: 6th, 12th, 11th in yards; 11th, 7th, 12th in points by year

2006-07 Rams: 23rd, 21st in yards; 28th, 31st in points by year

Keep in mind that the Steelers were a top 5 defense each year from 1993-96. His resume doesn't indicate exceptional performance from his defenses.

Let's be real. I know we hate the Rooney-rule Jerry gray situation but he has by far the greater performance as a DC than Zimmer and Haslett. If we want the best man for the job it is starting to be clear to me that Jerry Gray is the guy. The players are the ones playing and obviously must be seeing something valuable in him to be praising him as they all are.

I would be careful of those that sing praise on a 4-12 team with a weak secondary unit. I liked what he had to say with the press but not so sure you can blame it all on Blache.

I'm not sure about all the Gregg Williams love around this board. He was so stubborn and also used a lot of the 10 yards cushion like Blache did. I admit, he was better by far than Blache, but we got burned a lot at the worse times under him. Not to mention we struggled getting turnovers and sacks while he was here.

I'm not sure about Haslett, I admit..the only thing that stands out is how bad of a HC he was. If he does join as the DC, then I'll be optimistic about it and do my homework on him.

Yep, I wonder about that also. Look at the Gregg Williams defense from 2004 to 2007 and the 2008 Blache. Our defense was set up using the dline to control the LOS, the corners to keep everything inside and the backers and safeties to make the play. Since the corners had to check the run as well as cover, this means they HAVE to play with cushion. Most of our linemen were good at forcing the QB to float his throws or redirect them enough so the receiver wasn't on the move when the ball was thrown his meaning a corner can give that cushion. This season, we tried to get the QB instead of filling his passing lanes. I was worried that changing how our defensive front operated would expose us to certain passing games that are based on RAC or very accurate passes and running games. My only hope was that the defense and teams would combine to create some SFOs, VSFOs and points to make up for this expected shortfall.

guys we just gotta sit tight , as i had said a little back , a lot of teams are blocking us as u seen with bobby turner at first , Zimmer they could have really screwed us and blocked us until the new league year which is March 5th .. its gonna be crazy , so just throw ur arms up and enjoy the ride , always back up plans always

guys we just gotta sit tight , as i had said a little back , a lot of teams are blocking us as u seen with bobby turner at first , Zimmer they could have really screwed us and blocked us until the new league year which is March 5th .. its gonna be crazy , so just throw ur arms up and enjoy the ride , always back up plans always

Well said J, we got Shanny father and son and that was the most important part.

I think Haslett would be a great choice for D.C. He coaches with a linebackers aggression and is very attack oriented. He is not flashy, but a strong blue collar work ethic (hence Visor Boys comment). I think he and Shanny would work together very well.

lol im following HITMAN up watch this name as far as OL... Jeff Jagodzinski

Ugh I don't like him at all, mainly because of his BC years and him being the head coach of BC when they beat VT that one fateful, horrible Thursday night.

Him as an oline coach would be pretty good for us, since he learned under Alex Gibbs anyways (I think...).

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/haslett-apparent-front-runner.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

Haslett apparent front-runner for defensive coordinator

(Updated at 1:53 p.m.)

With Mike Zimmer staying in Cincinnati, according to the NFL.com, Jim Haslett appears to be the front-runner to serve as the Redskins' defensive coordinator next season.

Haslett, former NFL coach and a respected defensive strategist, was at Redskins Park on Monday, talking with team officials about the possibility of joining coach Mike Shanahan's staff.

The news was first reported by Comcast

SportsNet's Kelli Johnson and has since been confirmed by multiple team sources. Haslett did not immediately return messages this afternoon, and his agent, Peter Schaffer, had no comment on talks.

Haslett, the NFL's coach of the year in 2000, wasn't in the NFL last season, instead coaching the Florida Tuskers in the UFL. But he's ready to get back.

It is believed that Redskins secondary coach Jerry Gray also received consideration and that the team also wanted to gauge the interest of Zimmer, who was expected to have a few options now that the Bengals' season is finished.

But the Bengals' had the advantage of a one-week window in which they can negotiate with Zimmer before any other teams and apparently they took full advantage of it. Cincinnati Coach Marvin Lewis was asked during his season-ending press conference Monday how confident he is that the Bengals could retain Zimmer, and he responded, "I'm very confident."

As for Haslett, his most recent NFL defenses haven't been ranked particularly high, but few in NFL circles are going to question Haslett's defensive expertise. As interim coach in St. Louis in 2008, the Rams finished ranked 28th overall. In his six years in New Orleans, the Saints' defenses were ranked eighth, 16th, 27th, 18th, 32nd and 14th.

He has used a variety of schemes over the years. Many have speculated that Mike Shanahan is interested in installing a 3-4 defense, a formation with which Haslett is plenty familiar. During his time in Pittsburgh in the 1990s, the Steelers relied heavily on the 3-4. His more recent teams utilized a 4-3 formation but still had a variety of blitz packages. Either way, philosophically, the Redskins' defense could be drastically different than the one Redskins' fans are used to seeing.

Fan frustration over a conservative defense that lines up aggressive players 20 yards away from the line of scrimmage, that prioritizes gap control over blitzing, and that dips defensive backs tackling-arms into grease prior to each game, could be coming to an end.

Its all on Blache. Thats the way he wanted his defense. Non aggressive. Not on Gray.

No, he didn't "want" it that way. He had no choice: the offense couldn't score this year, so the D had to play umbrella defenses, bend-don't-break, don't-give-up-the-big-play, because we couldn't afford to give up touchdowns this year, if we wanted to stay in games.

His more recent teams utilized a 4-3 formation but still had a variety of blitz packages. Either way, philosophically, the Redskins' defense could be drastically different than the one Redskins' fans are used to seeing.

Fan frustration over a conservative defense that lines up aggressive players 20 yards away from the line of scrimmage, that prioritizes gap control over blitzing, and that dips defensive backs tackling-arms into grease prior to each game, could be coming to an end.

:)

Archived