Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Allen said he prefers "Best Player Available" in the draft

The Full Monty

Watch Bruce Allen's interview with Kelly Johnson on the Redskins website from Shanahan's introduction press conference on January 6.

At the end they talk about the draft and Kelly Johnson asks him specifically what the draft philosophy will be. Fast forward to about the 3:44 mark.

Here is the exchange, almost word for word:

Kelly: What will your draft philosophy be together, do you kind of have, are you on the same page on that, and what is that?

Bruce: Well we're gonna get the best players to help us win, and that is the philosophy.

Kelly: The best player available on the board, or per need?

Bruce: The best player for the Redskins to win, which is usually the best player available.

I'm glad he's taking this approach. We need surefire starters impact players with our first two picks (provided no trade down).

B-P-A, all, the, way.

he wont take a defender though, no chance in hell of that happening.

I don't know about that. If Suh is there, it would be hard to pass. Especially if Okung is off the board. There is always the possibility of trading back, which opens up a lot of options.

That's why I think it is silly right now to say, "We should pick X", when we don't know who will be on the board and how our needs will look when the draft comes around. There is a long time until the draft and a lot will change with this team between now and then.

BPA sure.. but who knows what his board will look like... he can take anyone and says he took the BPA with the pick... doesnt every coach/GM always say that they are taking the best player with their draft pick? No one says "sure we took Player A cause we needed a QB but we think those 3 other players were clearly better prospects..."

BA repeat after me.....

trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks

I don't know about that. If Suh is there, it would be hard to pass. Especially if Okung is off the board. There is always the possibility of trading back, which opens up a lot of options.

That's why I think it is silly right now to say, "We should pick X", when we don't know who will be on the board and how our needs will look when the draft comes around. There is a long time until the draft and a lot will change with this team between now and then.

We gave 100mil on a DT not even a year ago we need much more like OT QB even RB

Assuming he were being completely straight with us, then hello Eric Berry, and hope to God he really is the next Ed Reed.

So I have been hearing a lot about this guy and would love to have the next Ed Reed. Just looking at stats he a good amount of huge plays in 2007 and 2008 but only 2 pics in 2009? Did teams shy away from him?

BA repeat after me.....

trade down and collect picks trade down and collect picks...

Who are people going to trade up for this year? Usually it happens for a QB but there doesn't seem to be a QB that people are salivating over this year. Possibly Suh if he falls to 4, but with the money involved most teams don't want to trade into the top 4.

suh wont fall that far.

and even in the off chance he does, we will not be drafting him. our offense is in shambles and we use our highest draft pick since 1993 on a dlineman while were paying the highest paid dlineman in football already?

not a chance.

sounds like GM talk, not wanting to tip his hand.

who knows who we'll target in the draft at this point. he wont take a defender though, no chance in hell of that happening.

exactly, like the reporter is going to get Bruce to say who they will draft right now... I doubt the Redskins even know who they are drafting.

If Suh is available, the only way we dont draft him is if someone gives us their entire draft for a trade, there is no way you pass on Suh otherwise.

This is why the guy will probably go #1 unless the pre-draft hype on some flashy player drives him down.

The guy is not only an unbelievable football player but a class act. He is as close to a "sure thing" the draft can have.

When he says BPA for the Skins to win, my interpretation is that we will take the best offensive player unless Suh is there. Gerald McCoy doesn't fit next to Big Al. Drafting Berry, Landry and Sean Taylor is too many resources put to safety plus we've put a lot of resources at CB. Same with Haden. Similar with Derrick Morgan since we have Orakpo, Jarmon and Carter.

So BPA for offense is basically Bradford, Clausen, or Okung. We won't take WR or TE and we won't spend a top 5 pick on a part-time RB like Spiller. I'm not even going to get people all rowdy by going into my feelings about those three prospects, but I suspect Bradford is our pick.

Top 5

Rams - Suh

Lions - McCoy

Bucs - Berry

Skins - Bradford

Chiefs - Okung

Archived