Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Allen said he prefers "Best Player Available" in the draft

The Full Monty

Boy, I interpreted that completely differently than the thread starter. It seems he never says BPA without qualifying it regarding the Redskins' situation. Smart approach. You want Best Value-Added available, and of course you always publicly say you took the best player available to stroke the egos of the players on you've drafted onto your team.

Reading between the line, I feel we are definitely drafting a QB. He said "Best player for us to win and usually it's the BPA." Key word here is "usually," but not always the case. Long term, best player for use to win would be getting franchise QB in place.

Actually, it's one of the few times you'll hear a GM actually qualify the Best Player Available mantra. He said BPA "..for the Redskins to win, and usually that's the best player available".

He's basically saying he WON'T be bound to the best player available.

Boy, I interpreted that completely differently than the thread starter. It seems he never says BPA without qualifying it regarding the Redskins' situation. Smart approach. You want Best Value-Added available, and of course you always publicly say you took the best player available to stroke the egos of the players on you've drafted onto your team.

That's pretty much how I read it too.

suh wont fall that far.

and even in the off chance he does, we will not be drafting him. our offense is in shambles and we use our highest draft pick since 1993 on a dlineman while were paying the highest paid dlineman in football already?

not a chance.

We also drafted Landry while we had Taylor on the roster. There is certainly room to draft another DT, if he is the best player on the board.

At this time, I don't think it is likely that Suh will fall. That being said, a lot can happen between now and the draft. Players move up and down the board and not always do the best players get picked first. We also can't project our exact needs until that time comes around. There are going to be a lot of changes to this team between now and the draft, and a lot of what we will be looking for will depend on what does and doesn't change.

So I have been hearing a lot about this guy and would love to have the next Ed Reed. Just looking at stats he a good amount of huge plays in 2007 and 2008 but only 2 pics in 2009? Did teams shy away from him?

Big TN fan here and teams game planned away from him. He is a special player and has the discipline that Landry doesnt have. In a interview Monte Kiffin said he would take this guy 1st pick hands down. He a ball hawk! Wld be a nice pick but as a big Skins fan FIX THE O LINE!!

Who are people going to trade up for this year? Usually it happens for a QB but there doesn't seem to be a QB that people are salivating over this year. Possibly Suh if he falls to 4, but with the money involved most teams don't want to trade into the top 4.

I agree!

While lots will happen between now and the draft (combine, senior bowl, private work outs) I dont see anyone right now that a team would mortgage the future / trade up for.

We also drafted Landry while we had Taylor on the roster. There is certainly room to draft another DT, if he is the best player on the board.

At this time, I don't think it is likely that Suh will fall. That being said, a lot can happen between now and the draft. Players move up and down the board and not always do the best players get picked first. We also can't project our exact needs until that time comes around. There are going to be a lot of changes to this team between now and the draft, and a lot of what we will be looking for will depend on what does and doesn't change.

I'm also hoping that we can trade down.

Taking the BPA doesn't indicate that we will stay put at #4.

And we do need OL. We can't expect to be able to improve in that area prior to the draft in an uncapped year without any true FAs.

I'm also hoping that we can trade down.

Taking the BPA doesn't indicate that we will stay put at #4.

And we do need OL. We can't expect to be able to improve in that area prior to the draft in an uncapped year without any true FAs.

Trading down would be nice, but it isn't likely to happen. Even in the best of times it was tough to trade down from the top 10 and it is going to get more difficult now with the CBA ending and probably not a whole lot of quality FAs being available.

Big TN fan here and teams game planned away from him. He is a special player and has the discipline that Landry doesnt have. In a interview Monte Kiffin said he would take this guy 1st pick hands down. He a ball hawk! Wld be a nice pick but as a big Skins fan FIX THE O LINE!!

I'll add on that he was moved around a lot more this past season. He played some corner and a lot of the time he was closer to the line than in previous years where he could roam for the big hit or pick. I think Monte did this because A. Berry has the versitility and speed and that is a good thing to show scouts, and B. They were decimated by LBer injurys and he was one of the best tacklers on the team.

It will be interesting how he plays at the next level because he already had a shoulder injury and in the NFL he wont be able to just throw himself into tackles like he did in college. I wish him the best but I doubt it will be with the skins.

we lost 3 linebackers and did move Berry up. The shoulder injury wasnt a big deal. I want to see us get a o line or it doesnt matter b/c again we will not score. The nice thing is that Shannahan has shown w/right lineman he will get the RB's to be successful

suh wont fall that far.

and even in the off chance he does, we will not be drafting him. our offense is in shambles and we use our highest draft pick since 1993 on a dlineman while were paying the highest paid dlineman in football already?

not a chance.

Agreed. If we pick anyone that plays on the defensive side of the ball I will be one unhappy camper. I don't care how good a college career he may have had.

Don't know how meaningful this is, but I'm a big proponent of the BPA system. The better players you have, the better chance you have at winning. And remember, even the BPA method is subject to need where you have multiple players at basically the same spot on your board. In other words, if you its your pick and you have an O-lineman rated at 90 and a WR at 91, picking the lineman might still be consistent with BPA b/c they're so close in grades.

We gave 100mil on a DT not even a year ago we need much more like OT QB even RB

By your statement it sounds like you are going based on need again... Suh is far and away the best player in the draft, and if he is there at 4, then you take him no matter what!!! Just because we need a certain position and the player is very talented doesn't mean you take him over the best player in the draft. Suh is the most dominating player this draft and we also NEED him for our D-Line since it's aging as well on that side of the ball.

By your statement it sounds like you are going based on need again... Suh is far and away the best player in the draft, and if he is there at 4, then you take him no matter what!!! Just because we need a certain position and the player is very talented doesn't mean you take him over the best player in the draft. Suh is the most dominating player this draft and we also NEED him for our D-Line since it's aging as well on that side of the ball.

I agree. I mean, who plays next to Albert Haynesworth, when Big Al actually is in the game? Oh yeah, Cornelius Griffin. Yep. All 32 or 33 years of him. Golston's a 100% effort kind of guy and I love his heart, but he'll never dominate.

I'd take Suh over any of the QBs, or take a Ditka-type trade for some team desperate to get him.

Archived