Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RI: Redskins denied right to interview Bronco's Turner

corrupt3d

I expect Turner to end up here. I think Shanny was just going through the motions as to being friendly about it and since McDaniels wants to be a baby about it then its time to turn up the heat. Shanny did say he will not settle for anyone but the best at their position. Why would he let a little technicality stop him from that when he can offer him running backs/offensive assistant position and get away with it. I dont expect him to sit back and be like "oh darn well we tried who's next on the list?" No way. Turner will be here.

Lol! Agreed. Turner will end up here, IMO. Snyder will spend the money, and Shanny and Allen will come up with new, and I'm sure interesting, titles that will be considered a promotion by the league. Turner will still though be RB's coach at the end of the day, but he's a huge upgrade over "Dump" Mitchell.

Ehh. Running backs coach isn't as important as other positions, IMO.

I am not sure... I think the combo of denver's rb coach and o-line coach had something quite special...

Denver's plug-n-play rb setup was pretty amazing in my opinion

There are ways to acquire coaches under contract, even if it is nothing more than sheer manipulation. As long as it's considered a promotion, any team can get an assitant. For example, if we offer Turner RB/Asst. Head Coach/ Asst. Offensive Coordinator/ Overseer of Field Conditions/ Head of Lawn Maintenance/ 2nd Cousin of Concessions Supervisor/ etc. It can be done. McDaniels will find out shortly.

No he just couldn't quit because he's bound by the contract

Nobody is bound by anything in this world anymore. He would just simply owe back for the time remaining on the contract if he were to coach during that tenure with another team, although I believe a promotion can negate this as well...I'm still fuzzy on the subject but to say "he's bound by the contract" like he can't bat an eyelash without McDaniel's approval is stupid. He's not sitting in a jail cell somewhere, shackled, to never roam free until his parole hearing when his contract expires lol.

I understand that there are probably extreme ways around this, but does anyone even know if Turner would prefer to leave Denver to come to Washington? I mean, we don't even know if he'd want to jump through a bunch of hoops just to sit in an interview with the Redskins.

I do agree however, that if both the Redskins and Turner have a mutual interest in this transaction, odds are it'll go down somehow.

I understand that there are probably extreme ways around this, but does anyone even know if Turner would prefer to leave Denver to come to Washington? I mean, we don't even know if he'd want to jump through a bunch of hoops just to sit in an interview with the Redskins.

I do agree however, that if both the Redskins and Turner have a mutual interest in this transaction, odds are it'll go down somehow.

Miami Dolphins want to interview him for their OC. He may want to look at that type of promotion first.

Dude, I'm wrong on that...I was looking around for news on him and picked up on an old article. Sorry!

Either way...I think it's a little premature of us to assume that any position coach in the league is going to jump at the chance to come here. Granted, we are hopefully being run differently now and on the right track...but Denver is a pretty nice place to work as well.

I can understand the brat part, but why would he want to "stick it to Shanahan"?

Do they have a history?

Just taking a wild guess. If McDaniels is a pain in the butt, whiny type why would he want to help the guy he ousted who is now making it back to the NFL. I would guess if Shanny is successful, there will be some media comparisons to McDaniels and talk about whether the Broncos made a mistake.

Here's an interesting tidbit about the NFL rules of hiring coaches. Russ Grimm is an Asst HC, offensive line for AZ so I believe the rule works for lower positions.

http://www.mysportsscoop.com/chicago-bears/?p=4955

The only possible coaches that can be hired with no delay are the coaches that are currently unemployed. If you are looking to “steal” away a coach from another NFL team, there are restrictions that limit what you can do. It’s not as cut and dry as locating a candidate, offering him more money, and hiring him. If the coach is under contract with another NFL team there are rules that teams must follow.

* You can’t hire a coach away from another team if it’s a lateral move. You can only hire a contracted coach away if he’ll receive a promotion.

You can’t hire one team’s offensive coordinator to be your offensive coordinator. If the Bears wanted to steal away a team’s offensive coordinator, then he could only be hired as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator. For those of you thinking the Bears already have an Assistant Head Coach in Rod Marinelli so they couldn’t possibly go this route, you may be mistaken. The Houston Texans currently have two coaches on staff with the Assistant Head Coach title. I’m not sure how many you can have, but apparently two is allowed.

You can’t hire one team’s offensive coordinator to be your offensive coordinator. If the Bears wanted to steal away a team’s offensive coordinator, then he could only be hired as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator. For those of you thinking the Bears already have an Assistant Head Coach in Rod Marinelli so they couldn’t possibly go this route, you may be mistaken. The Houston Texans currently have two coaches on staff with the Assistant Head Coach title. I’m not sure how many you can have, but apparently two is allowed.

Yeah, under Gibbs we had 2 "Assistant Head Coaches" in Bugel (Asst-Offense) and Gregg Williams (Asst-Defense). Then, Saunders was brought in from KC with the Associate Head Coach title.

While there are ways to pry someone you want from a team's coaching staff against the team's will, that's not the most diplomatic way of doing things. Shanahan may choose to avoid making a complete enemy out of Bowlen and McDaniels by looking elsewhere first. There ARE other RB coaches that are worth looking at.

Anthony Lynn, the RB coach for the Jets has an unbelievable track record, but I doubt we could pry him from Rex Ryan. He also coached Fred Taylor in Jax (03 and 04 seasons), Dallas with Parcells (05 and 06 seasons), Browns with Crennel (07 and 08 seasons), and is now in NY with Ryan. The interesting part is that he worked with Shanahan in Denver for the 2000, 01, and 02 seasons as his offensive assistant and special teams coach.

We might be able to get him in with another offensive assistant position, but this guy would make a GREAT RBs coach.

Look at the seasons these teams and their RBs had under him:

03-04 Jax - Coached Fred Taylor during his best season, 1,572 yards, 6 TDs (2003), and another 1,200+ yard season in only 14 games.

05-06 Dallas - He coached Julius Jones during his two best seasons, 2077 yards total, 6 TDs, and Marion Barber during his first two seasons, 1,192 yards total, and 19 TDs. That's a pretty solid 1,2 punch.

07-08 Browns - Jamal Lewis turned 28 and 29 under Lynn, and ran for a combined 2,305 yards and 13 TDs, not spectacular, but solid and especially so when you think that in the 08 season the Browns passing game was atrocious and they had lots of injuries along the OL.

09 Jets - led league 172.2 ypg, 4.5 ypc, Thomas Jones had the best season of his career in both yards and TDs and he turned 31 this season.

My point isn't that we should try to do whatever it takes to get Lynn, it's just that there are other options out there, rather than just trying to steal the guy we first want from the Broncos, after all, other teams can do the same thing to us.

Yeah, Sherman Smith had success at Tennessee as well. I don't know if he'd want to stay on as only an RB coach, but he could be a candidate.

Smith was the RBs coach from 1996-2007 for the Titans. 6 times had a top 10 rushing offense, 3 times had a top 5 offense. Was the RB coach for Eddie George's entire tenure when he had 4 Pro Bowls and 7 1000-yd seasons. When George left, he still got 1000-yd seasons out of Chris Brown, Travis Henry, and Lendale White. 1000-yd rusher every season except 2.

Here's an interesting tidbit about the NFL rules of hiring coaches. Russ Grimm is an Asst HC, offensive line for AZ so I believe the rule works for lower positions.

The only possible coaches that can be hired with no delay are the coaches that are currently unemployed. If you are looking to “steal” away a coach from another NFL team, there are restrictions that limit what you can do. It’s not as cut and dry as locating a candidate, offering him more money, and hiring him. If the coach is under contract with another NFL team there are rules that teams must follow.

* You can’t hire a coach away from another team if it’s a lateral move. You can only hire a contracted coach away if he’ll receive a promotion.

Good research!!! Well if the SKINS really want Bobby they can promote him to Running Game coordinator/Assistant head coach of offense. I'm sure they could do this and it would be within the rules/guidelines of getting permission for a promotion to a coordinator from a RB coach. Josh McDaniels should have known that keeping a coaching staff from a prior regime for a coach as popular as shanny should have prompted him to fire all of them. Shanny will find a way around this.

Yeah, Sherman Smith had success at Tennessee as well. I don't know if he'd want to stay on as only an RB coach, but he could be a candidate.

Smith was the RBs coach from 1996-2007 for the Titans. 6 times had a top 10 rushing offense, 3 times had a top 5 offense. Was the RB coach for Eddie George's entire tenure when he had 4 Pro Bowls and 7 1000-yd seasons. When George left, he still got 1000-yd seasons out of Chris Brown, Travis Henry, and Lendale White. 1000-yd rusher every season except 2.

We could give him a title like "Running game coordinator/Assistant Head Coach/RB coach"

Over at WP, Jason Reid is reporting that Shanny might retain either Smith or Mitchell for our RB coach position. I wouldn't mind Smith, the Titans were always a fantastic running team.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/shanahan-should-consider-smith.html

I'm really interested in finding out who our new OL coach is going to be.

Jason Reid flingin' **** on the wall and seeing what sticks as usual:laugh:. I wonder how long before LaCanLoser reports this on NFL Network?? Truth is they don't have a clue what Bruce Allen/Shanahan are going to do. I hope they continue to be tight-lipped and "strongly encourage" the employees at Redskins Park to do so as well.

The author is wrong here. This used to be the case, but the NFL changed its rules. Now you must receive permission to interview a coach under contract unless you are interviewing him for head coach and head coach only. None of this assistant head coach B.S.

Here's a link http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d815667b9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Archived