Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan should make a go for Peyton Hillis

SirClintonPortis

Peyton Hillis? Agreed we need a running back but Hillis? He's one dimensional and too slow to be an every down running back. I'd rather just run Sellers than give up anything for a Hillis. Or we can get Toby Gerhart when the Vikings cut him this season, I remember some people losing their **** about him last offseason.

South Carolina's Lattimore is the real deal, have to figure out a way to get that dude in a couple of years.

First of all, this guy has much better hands than Sellers ever has and is more athletic than Sellers. He's even had a 100 yard receiving game.

Second of all, you don't need blazing speed to excel in the ZBS. Arian Foster is not going to be confused with Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson speed-wise, but he's a one cut-and-go runner who can hit the hole fast. Not only that, Hillis did run well for Shanahan as a feature back during his rookie year. Not only that, I think he simply being listed as a FB has clouded your perception of him. His 40 time was a 4.6 at the Combine, so he's not THAT slow and that [straight line] speed is enough torch many linebackers.

Third, this was a January thread where he could have been gotten for a cheap pick. Now, it's too late.

And his 2008 stats were efficient as well. Only one game under 4.4 yards a carry and he consistently scored touchdowns.

http://www.nfl.com/players/peytonhillis/gamelogs?id=HIL734134&season=2008

7th rounder MAYBE 6th rounder? Did McDaniels say this? Is this what worked on Madden? Seriously, it's a great gauge to see if it is plausible. It's worked before.

Calling my post moronic? Saying addicted is an idiot? Real classy! I don't think even 10% of the posters think it was a good thread/post.

I don't have the latest Madden, first of all.

Guy didn't see the field for the whole year thanks to McDaniels wanting to do things his way. You would expect him to fetch a 3rd or 4th rounder after a whole year of not seeing the field?

Also, addicted argued that he sucked because he didn't accumulate enough stats. Well, he's accumulating the now. But apparently you also want to argue that he's still not accumulating enough stats.

This thread sucks. Payton Hillis is crap, pass

Addicted's top 10 reasons why Peyton Hillis sucks:

01. He's a Fullback, not a running back. Your thread said our next running back was Hillis. If you said our next FB was Hillis I'd be cool with that.

02. Hillis is no where near as good as Portis is today and would be a big down grade from Portis.

03. Hillis has started only 8 games in the last 32 games his teams played.

04. Hillis has a whooping 347 yards rushing in the last 32 games his teams played

05. Hillis has a whooping 6 TD's in the last 32 games, with most of those coming from the 1 yard line

06. Hillis has only 18 catches in the last 32 games

07. Hillis in four years in college rushed for an astounding 960 yards

08. Hillis ended his rookie year on IR

09. The last thing wikipedia says about this guy for 2009 is the following "In week three of the 2009 preseason Hillis rushed for a touchdown." Championship

10. The guy looks like this

7th rounder MAYBE 6th rounder? Did McDaniels say this? Is this what worked on Madden? Seriously, it's a great gauge to see if it is plausible. It's worked before.

Calling my post moronic? Saying addicted is an idiot? Real classy! I don't think even 10% of the posters think it was a good thread/post.

No offense, but checking if a trade "would work on Madden" is kinda silly. Actually, saying "Madden" for anything that isnt well......Madden is kinda silly. As for the acual trade between Denver and Cleveland (a much better messuring stick) it was Hillis and a 6th rounder for Brady Quinn. Quinn is buried on the depth chart and Hills put up 144 yards (at 6.5 ypc) against the Ravens in his first start. Given the defence, that is REALLY good. Followed it up with 100+ against the Bengals. He was a steal and yeah, we probably could have gotten him really cheap.

No offense, but checking if a trade "would work on Madden" is kinda silly. Actually, saying "Madden" for anything that isnt well......Madden is kinda silly. As for the acual trade between Denver and Cleveland (a much better messuring stick) it was Hillis and a 6th rounder for Brady Quinn. Quinn is buried on the depth chart and Hills put up 144 yards (at 6.5 ypc) against the Ravens in his first start. Given the defence, that is REALLY good. Followed it up with 100+ against the Bengals. He was a steal and yeah, we probably could have gotten him really cheap.

HIllis probably is pretty good. I was slightly-sarcastic in the Madden measuring stick because there are many threads about ridiculous trades (ie trading Haynesworth for V. jackson, etc.), so it makes me wonder how they measure. Not saying Hillis is a far-fetched trade, but if he really is that good, I don't think they'll give him up this quickly for that cheaply... er cheap, whatever.

It's almost like Josh McDaniels goes out of his way to get rid of his most talented players.

Yeah, it seems that way. Anyone who Shanny drafted, McD is cutting or trading. You can see two years after Shanny's firing the Broncos are much better now:doh::rolleyes::handicap:

This is a depiction of the Broncos and whatever team they are playing :beatdeadhorse:

Why is this thread still going? The Browns have obviously found themselves a Starting Running Back for a while, this is a coulda shoulda woulda we coulda shoulda woulda drafted Desean Jackson instead of Devin Thomas We coulda shoulda woulda Traded for randy moss.

Yeah, it seems that way. Anyone who Shanny drafted, McD is cutting or trading. You can see two years after Shanny's firing the Broncos are much better now:doh::rolleyes::handicap:

This is a depiction of the Broncos and whatever team they are playing :beatdeadhorse:

And everyone said Shanny drafted bad...

First of all...

Second of all...

Not only that(shouldn't this be 3rd of all?)...

Not only that(see above)...

Third(that makes this 5th of all), this was a January thread where he could have been gotten for a cheap pick. Now, it's too late.

And his 2008 stats were efficient as well. Only one game under 4.4 yards a carry and he consistently scored touchdowns.

http://www.nfl.com/players/peytonhillis/gamelogs?id=HIL734134&season=2008

Well 6th of all, you may wanna go find P. Diddy and have him hook you up with a "Jeffrey"...apparently it will mellow you out(Get Him to the Greek reference).

On to serious stuff, 7th of all, Hillis would have been great to get in hindsight...but nobody was banging down the door for him and Shanahan certainly had a chance to get him if he had wanted to do so. He seemed much more interested in Torain and we can all begin to see why now.

Watching tonights Louisville-Cinci game, I'm not sure what year Bilal Powell from Louisville is in, he looks like a great fit for the Skins offense and I love the way he squares his shoulders and pushes his way downfield. He's also got the speed everyone clamors for and would be a great addition next year if he is eligible and declares for the draft.

ahahaha

a Get Him to The Greek reference!

no one saw that movie! :pfft:

but seriously...

THE COOL THING ABOUT sirclintonportis is he likes the montreal canadiens and dislikes the "craps"

oh elohels, elohels, elohels

ovechkin is cool though. phew. thank god.

on topic:

i think shanahan made some excellent draft picks & trades when he was denvers GM and i think he will do a fine job here when bruce allen is fired

ahahaha

a Get Him to The Greek reference!

no one saw that movie! :pfft:

but seriously...

THE COOL THING ABOUT sirclintonportis is he likes the montreal canadiens and dislikes the "craps"

oh elohels, elohels, elohels

ovechkin is cool though. phew. thank god.

on topic:

i think shanahan made some excellent draft picks & trades when he was denvers GM and i think he will do a fine job here when bruce allen is fired

I had an epiphany after the great CHOKE. Now, I'm 50-50 torn between staying with the Caps or deserting them or the Habs.

And everyone said Shanny drafted bad...

Shanny's last 6 drafts were awesome.

In 2006 Denver drafted Cutler, Marshall, Dummerville, Sheffler, Domineik Hixon, Chris Kuper, Greg Eslinger.

Kuper, Marshall, Dummerville, Cutler and Sheffler are all starting in the NFL today. Hixon is playing for the Giants only Eslinger is out of the nfl.

Denver Only had 4 picks in 2007. All of them are still in the NFL Marcus Thomas and Ryan Harris are starters.

Here is Shanny's 2008 draft

1 12 Ryan Clady T Boise State

2 42 Eddie Royal WR Virginia Tech

4 108 Kory Lichtensteiger C Bowling Green State

4 119 Jack Williams CB Kent State

5 139 Ryan Torain RB Arizona State

5 148 Carlton Powell DT Virginia Tech

6 183 Spencer Larsen FB Arizona

7 220 Josh Barrett DB Arizona State

7 227 Peyton Hillis RB Arkansas

Hillis, Torain, Lichtensteiger , Royal and Clady are all starting in the NFL and the only player not in the NFL is Carlton Powell.

Mike Shanahan just sucked at finding defensive linemen.... Hopefully it's not a repeat this go-around...

DL typically is one of the hardest positions to draft. They are so unpredictible. He has done a pretty good job in FA but you are right his DL drafts have not been great.

However he has done pretty good drafting LBers (Al Wilson, DJ William, Spencer Larson) and of course the 3-4 needs more LBers and fewer DL so maybe that is a plus!!!!

I find it hilarious that Hillis was the fullback for Felix Jones and Darren McFadden and hes better than both of them.

Glad to have him on my fantasy team

He was really good in college too. It's not like Arkansas didn't know he was excellent. It's just in college Jones and McFadden had the speed to where they can outrun everybody. They have found out in the NFL you can't outrun everybody and you need to do other things very well to succeed. Those "Other things" are what Hillis does best. I have an Arkansas game on DVD where Hillis had 188 total yards receiving and rushing. Arkansas had a great offensive team that year for sure.

• 11 months later...
"He's in the final year of a rookie contract that will pay him $600,000 and Hillis is hoping to be rewarded for his big season.

In the past month, the Browns have given contract extensions to several players they have identified as part of their future "core." Pro Bowl offensive tackle Joe Thomas, tight end Evan Moore, defensive tackle Ahtyba Rubin and linebacker Chris Gocong have all received new deals.

Hillis would figure to be in line for an extension, but McGuire indicated the sides aren't near a deal."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/browns/story/2011-10-05/hillis-agent/50669444/1

Just saw NFL network start reporting on Hillis' illness and being advised by his agent not to play while sick, etc. (They were hinting at contract extension probs)

Didn't realize Hillis was in the last year of his rookie contract..and I think the Browns would be crazy not to give him an extension on his contract, BUT if by some insane possibility that Hillis decdies to explore FA do you think Shan-Allen gives him a call in the off-season? Espec. considering Shanahan drafted him outa Arkansas when he was in Den?

Not that our backfield is lacking any depth whatsoever...but I love this kid. If given the opportunity, I'd love to see him in B&G.

#HTTR

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/browns/story/2011-10-05/hillis-agent/50669444/1

Just saw NFL network start reporting on Hillis' illness and being advised by his agent not to play while sick, etc. (They were hinting at contract extension probs)

Didn't realize Hillis was in the last year of his rookie contract..and I think the Browns would be crazy not to give him an extension on his contract, BUT if by some insane possibility that Hillis decdies to explore FA do you think Shan-Allen gives him a call in the off-season? Espec. considering Shanahan drafted him outa Arkansas when he was in Den?

Not that our backfield is lacking any depth whatsoever...but I love this kid. If given the opportunity, I'd love to see him in B&G.

#HTTR

I bet he would instantly be compared to John Riggins if he came to the Redskins. I am not sure why though. Riggins was a little taller, leaner, and a little faster, I think Hillis is a better receiver, while Riggins was a better rusher. I wonder why these two would be compared? LOL

I love how people see Hillis play one game, catch a highlight reel on YouTube or look up stats on ESPN and we are now suddenly experts on Hillis.

There have been fumble issues and injury issues that have put him in the doghouse in Denver. It is a fact.

Now I wouldn't mind seeing him on our team, but as a FB and not a featured ball carrier.

It appears WyomingRedskin was proven correct on this one. Hillis led the NFL in fumbles last year with 8.

Archived