Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Mike Shanahan signs five-year contract with Washington Redskins

dsciambi

Jesus Christ himself could be patrolling the sidelines. As long as Snyder is the owner I refuse to get my hopes up for anything until we actually start winning.

Most fans shall temper their expectations, which they should due to recent history.

This was a big move, like others of past. However, it's probably our best coaching hire since Shottenhiemer.

If he drafts a QB with that 1st pick, I will be pissed...

Now if he does draft one later in the draft, no problem, but that 1st pick either needs to be OLine or traded pick for more picks.

Yeah, I think that would be pretty silly. I don't think Clausen or Bradford are worth a top 10 pick, letalone top 4. I would much rather them either take Okung if he is there or trade back and use the later 1st rounder on a guy like Bruce Campbell while picking up another 2nd. Shanny built a great OL in Denver; he knows how important the trenches are. I have a hard time seeing him look at this horrible excuse for an OL and not try to address it first. Draft OL this year, then in 2011 draft a QB. It seems that QB class is going to have more talent and more depth than 2010.

This is the part that scares me.

"Shanahan will have the ultimate authority on football decisions."

It was widely considered that Shanny wasn't that good at choosing personel. It undermines Allen role as GM.

I saw that too. Are "football" decisions and "personnell" decisions the same thing?

I know it is still pretty early in US (like 6 in the morning) but is there any info about a press converance? Or do we wait till Bugel has made his retirement?

Edit:

The Washington Redskins will hold a press conference today to officially announce Mike Shanahan as their new head coach.

I know it is still pretty early in US (like 6 in the morning) but is there any info about a press converance? Or do we wait till Bugel has made his retirement?

Edit:

The Washington Redskins will hold a press conference today to officially announce Mike Shanahan as their new head coach.

It's at 2:00 p.m. EST today. Look on the Redskins home page. :)

I guess I'm the only one who isn't excited about this. Maybe I'm cynical but until proven wrong this smacks of the same old ****.

I'm thinking the same thing. Shanahan has the same job he had in Denver and he was fired there after winning 2 Super Bowls. Similar to Allen in Tampa. Not encouraging to say the least. Thats like if Gibbs had stayed around for a mediorce decade after 1991 and then was fired because he'd lost it. Then Allen working with Al Davis for years can make you wonder if he's another puppet for Snyder. Then seeing Snyder right there in the middle of it all makes you wonder if anything has changed at all. Remember, Shanahan won 1 playoff game in 10 years without Elway and Davis, even with that elite OL, and several different QB's.

Archived