Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEx: Offensive overhaul will come in the offseason

HigSkin

I think everybody needs to prepare for a house cleaning, starting with coaches as referenced below and then many players to follow.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/For-Skins_-change-is-coming-8701334-80361387.html

ASHBURN - The offense sputtered to the finish a year ago, prompting changes ... on the defense. While the Redskins fortified their defense this past offseason, they hoped a second year in Jim Zorn's offense would make a difference offensively. They were wrong.

Now many changes await the offense. Forget the coaching staff, which is expected to be fired; of the opening day starters, seven or eight could be elsewhere next season for various reasons. That might be a little high, but it's also not unrealistic. And if Mike Shanahan takes over for Zorn, as is widely expected, then he'll bring the West Coast offense along with him. But he'll also bring more power to unload certain players.

Offensive line » With Chris Samuels expected to retire and Randy Thomas coming off his second major injury in three seasons (as well as turning 34 years old next month and costing $5.6 million on the cap next season), the Redskins will need at least two new starters. Or more. Center Casey Rabach is a free agent and the current tackles, Stephon Heyer (a restricted free agent after the season) and Levi Jones, have struggled. So the Redskins could need to find three, and perhaps four, new starters along the line. They need guards who can pull, something they rarely have done this season but is a big part of the West Coast offense.

Running backs » Washington wanted to upgrade here regardless. More speed is needed. Though Clinton Portis has endorsed Shanahan; it's uncertain if that love will be returned. Shanahan's training camps aren't exactly the most demanding, which would limit, perhaps, Portis' disdain for practice. But he's lost his explosiveness and if it's an uncapped year, the Redskins should look elsewhere. They'll likely need to find a starter and a backup, though Ladell Betts is under contract until 2014. Fullback Mike Sellers is another possible casualty. If Shanahan is the coach, he's almost always employed smaller, pass-catching fullbacks (rookie Eddie Williams might fit that description). Sellers is a big, bruising lead-blocker.

Tight ends » Redskins broadcaster Sonny Jurgensen said on the pregame radio show Sunday night that new executive vice president/general manager Bruce Allen told him he believes in having one tight end who can catch and one who can block. If that's the case, they have a decision to make between pass-catchers Chris Cooley and Fred Davis. They could always trade one to acquire a draft pick or an offensive lineman. But which one?

Receivers » Antwaan Randle El is a potential victim; his punt returns are poor and he hasn't scored a touchdown offensively on 47 receptions. But if he's their No. 4 receiver, they're OK. That means Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas must produce more; the latter is much further ahead than the former. Santana Moss shouldn't go anywhere, but his days as a strong No. 1 are over. This is still a position in transition.

I wouldn't have a problem with this - everyone on offense needs to go sans Dockery, Thomas, Kelly, & at least either Cooley or Davis. Start from scratch with every other position.

Interesting how Klein didn't mention Doc. I would think he's staying.

Who do you think is the better blocker? ;)

True but sad. Why? Look at their ages. I know that Cooley is not that old (27) to Davis (23) but who has more trade value? Cooley does. We could get a 1st round draft pick for him easily. We need OF lineman and it's also possible we can do a trade for him as well for an OF lineman. Cooley is a complete HB/TE. I would rather have him than Davis but giving Cooley the edge due to blocking and his trade value we must deal him to help our OL. Thoughts?

Interesting how Klein didn't mention Doc. I would think he's staying.

Dockery is the only viable starting O-lineman that we have.

LT: Samuels should/will retire. Levi Jones is a backup at this point in his career.

Center: Rabach is a UFA, voided his contract with escalators earlier this year.

RG: Thomas is oft injured and should be a backup but not at 5m+ year.

RT: Heyer never was and never will be starting material there. Williams could be a cheap resign for depth but not a starter.

True but sad. Why? Look at their ages. I know that Cooley is not that old (27) to Davis (23) but who has more trade value? Cooley does. We could get a 1st round draft pick for him easily. We need OF lineman and it's also possible we can do a trade for him as well for an OF lineman. Cooley is a complete HB/TE. I would rather have him than Davis but giving Cooley the edge due to blocking and his trade value we must deal him to help our OL. Thoughts?

Another plus for Cooley would be his jersey sales! :D If he ends up traded, then we're really going to know who's in charge!

I don't think we will know until things unfold but again, everybody needs to prepare for change.

If one of the TEs must go, I have to go with Cooley. Love him, but he have many needs and if we can get a 2nd and 5th (What Giants got in Shockey trade) we have to do it. We need an entire oline, RB, QB.

Another option, one I like more is trading Laron Landry. He's not what I thought he would be. Some may disagree but I really think we could get a 2nd and change for him. He is a strong safety and honestly what he brings to the table is no different than what chris horton brings. He is very expandable imo.

Remember we could also get picks if there is no CBA signed. Carlos would be a restricted free agent and I think he would grant a 3rd if another team signs him.

Cooley better effin stay!

I love Cooley as much as any other Redskins fan, but if you have to choose between the 2 you have to choose Davis, his upside is way better. He's also younger and I think he can be an Antonio Gates type tight end I mean his speed athletasism and yard after catch capabilities are flat out better than Cooley's.

No mention of Quarterback??

I think somebody needs to do a poll for all of extremeskins........who would you rather have.....Fred Davis or Chris Cooley......that would very interesting.

I think if you look around the Bradford threads you'll see a possible senario like, JC as stop gap, Bradford possible day 1 starter and Colt.

At this point, seeing as there most likely won't be a CBA, Campbell will be a RFA the QB position takes a massive back seat to fixing the O-line and needed talent at the RB position.

You will be surprised this offseason.

If we DID trade Davis or Cooley, we should easily be able to pick up two OL in the first few rounds, as well as pickup a RB later in the draft or simply keep Portis at a cheaper rate.

BUt QB is a necessity. Qb is the most important position, therefore saying we need to fill others first is like saying you need to cure someone's diabetes when they have a serious head injury.

You will be surprised this offseason.

If we DID trade Davis or Cooley, we should easily be able to pick up two OL in the first few rounds, as well as pickup a RB later in the draft or simply keep Portis at a cheaper rate.

BUt QB is a necessity. Qb is the most important position, therefore saying we need to fill others first is like saying you need to cure someone's diabetes when they have a serious head injury.

QB doesn't mean **** if there is no line to block for him. You can put Peyton Manning behind our O-line this year and he'd been ground to a fine dust. This team can survive and perhaps even thrive with a rebuilt and younger/talented O-line and Campbell at QB but it simply does not matter who's at QB if there is no O-line or running game.

You wouldn't get more than a mid/late round for Davis and no more than a late 2nd or 3rd round for Cooley.

With no CBA, there will be a distinct lack (but not void) of O-lineman available for FA. You need to come out of this draft with at least 2 starters on the O-line and that leaves very little room to take a QB that will sit on the bench and not contribute.

Archived