Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's bring some sanity to this QB draft discussion

Dr Drunkenstein

Clausen is going to be a stud, looks alot like Cutler with his quick release. Rocket for an arm, coming out of a pro style offense.

I'm a Clausen fan, but he doesn't have the gun that Cutler has. I think his arm strength is more comparable to Peyton Manning. Which is most certainly good enough.

Clausen:

Makes all the right reads, literally all of them watch his highlights. He never holds on to the ball too long, he consistently finds single coverage, teams aren't effective blitzing him, and he runs a pro-style offense. The negative on him is that his team didn't win, but I don't think its fair to blame him for that with the defense he had. In addition, he garners a mid first round pick so we would definitely be reaching on him if we were to be idiotic and draft him at 5.. We should draft Okung/Berry/Suh in the 1st, IF we can't trade back to a descent position where we could draft a Clausen and stockpile some picks to use on this awful o-line.

What do you mean he garners a mid-1st?

Let's see, NFL coaches and GM's said the following:

2009: Jason Smith (2)

2008: Jake Long (1)

2007: Joe Thomas (3)

2007(again): Levi Brown (5)

2006: D'Brickashaw Ferguson (4)

2004: Robert Gallery (2)

2002: Mike Williams (4) (Yeah, the Skins' Mike WIlliams)

2000: Chris Samuels (3)

But what do they know?

He was talking about which OL is worthy of a top 5 pick THIS YEAR. You really think he was arguing that OL is NEVER worth a top 5 pick?

I'm gonna jump in on this one because i like McCoy better then the other prospects. But i'm not gonna bash the other prospects.

Instead of everyone posting information from different scouts why don't we post information from the most credible scouts?

I've been on Waltersfootball site and the dude that wrote the scouting report on Colt gives the most biased assessment i've ever read.

No one on any site has McCoy rated as low as that dude.

And who is that guy anyway?

Gil Brandt is one of the most well respected and pedigreed scouts if you don't believe me just google him.

Gil Brandt on the QB crop:

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

"McCoy, 1; Bradford 2, Tebow 3,"

Annnnnd, you lost me there.

Can Colt McCoy wear #4 and stand next to Brennan then they can be Colt 45? *rimshot* badoobahhh!

In all seriousness, the way things are looking, we need Offensive lineman guys, we might have to wait for a QB next year. Campbell is not the answer but we have too many holes and a rookie behind this line won't have much success.

Colt McCoy is being mentored and loves Roger Staubach and is a self proclaimed Cowboys Fan. Enough Said. Russell Okung is my 1st Round Pick or Bradford. Shanny, if he is our coach, has a good eye for Offensive Lineman, so we may address that in rounds 2-7.

Exactly. I don't want a Cowboys fan on our team. Especially when we have to play them twice a year. He obviously wouldn't want to be a Redskin so lets not make him one.

:doh: This QB class is the weakest in years.

Focus on the damn O-line or it doesn't matter who we have playing QB. That's the only sane thing to do.

I disagree. Bradford would have gone above both Sanchez and Stafford last year, and is probably also a better prospect than Matt Ryan.

I don't like Clausen as much, but a lot of scouts love him, and I certainly think he would be on the same tier as Stafford and Sanchez. His worst case scenario is probably a fall to the teens.

Colt is widely projected to be drafted in the second round or after, so I guess we can all reassess this thread after the draft, and again in 3 years.

"V. Young was way better coming out than Colt and look how long it has taken him to come around "

VY made the pro-bowl, was rookie of the year and led a team with almost no other offensive talent to the post-season in his rookie year but, in your opinion, he is just now coming around. What color is the sky in your world?

I'll bring your post back up after Texas thumps Bama.......and after Colt has a great rookie year in the NFL.

Two words for you: Ndamukung Suh, he is a one man Defense, Bama has many play makers of their defense, McCoy will spend most of the BCS Title game on his back courtesy of the Bama Defense, but I will be watching Bama's D

I disagree. Bradford would have gone above both Sanchez and Stafford last year, and is probably also a better prospect than Matt Ryan.

I don't like Clausen as much, but a lot of scouts love him, and I certainly think he would be on the same tier as Stafford and Sanchez. His worst case scenario is probably a fall to the teens.

Colt is widely projected to be drafted in the second round or after, so I guess we can all reassess this thread after the draft, and again in 3 years.

Bradford as it stands is/was at the Sanchez/Stafford level but you factor in injury concerns and the fact that he may not be ready for the combine and he gets a lower grade.

Claussen will probably be the best and healthy prospect going into the combine, but his attitude has Ryan Leaf written all over it.

McCoy is a system QB that will be exposed during the combine. He won't see any takers the first 2-3 rounds of the draft.

Tebow? Saint Tim is the wildcard this draft but at this point isnt ready to play QB in the NFL.

Who's left?

Pike? Can you say Todd Collins Jr.?

Canfield, LeFavour? Brown? Crompton? Can any of these guys be considered starting material in the NFL?

As I said, weak ass class. A gimp armed QB and a spiky haired kid that plays for ND doesn't make this a good class at all.

Bradford as it stands is/was at the Sanchez/Stafford level but you factor in injury concerns and the fact that he may not be ready for the combine and he gets a lower grade.

Claussen will probably be the best and healthy prospect going into the combine, but his attitude has Ryan Leaf written all over it.

McCoy is a system QB that will be exposed during the combine. He won't see any takers the first 2-3 rounds of the draft.

Tebow? Saint Tim is the wildcard this draft but at this point isnt ready to play QB in the NFL.

Who's left?

Pike? Can you say Todd Collins Jr.?

Canfield, LeFavour? Brown? Crompton? Can any of these guys be considered starting material in the NFL?

As I said, weak ass class. A gimp armed QB and a spiky haired kid that plays for ND doesn't make this a good class at all.

Clausen's attitude and family tree do scare me.

I think Bradford's injury is overblown. He has not shown a propensity to be injury prone, but had a freak injury and came back too soon. A shoulder separation should not give him any chronic problems. Any QB could bust, and Bradford might as well, but I doubt it will have anything to do with his shoulder.

I also don't like Tebow or McCoy, and I'll add to that by saying that I don't like Mallett.

Someone might get a lucky hit with Canfield, LeFevour, or Pike, but I wouldn't put too much money on any one of them.

I guess my point was, that I don't think this draft is weak in the top five picks, which is where we'll be choosing.

I'm also not too sure how I feel about the QB's in next year's draft. Locker has tons of physical ability, but still has never been a 60 percent passer, which is a huge red flag. If he is much better next year, he might go first overall, and we are unlikely to be in sniffing range of that pick.

All this isn't too say that I don't want to shore up the OL. Especially if we draft a QB, we then need to focus on OL so we don't get him killed. There will be a lot of decent prospects available later in the draft like Bruce Campbell and Charles Brown who we could move back up into the first round and take if we wanted.

Oklahoma's losses in a few big games were clearly not a result of Sam Bradford's play. Looking at all the QB's available he looks to me as having the highest potential for success.

If college careers were accurate indicators, Jason Campbell was sure to succeed. He was drafted after an undefeated season that won the Nantional Championship. (Forget the fact he handed the ball to two first round draft picks.)

I disagree on this year's QB class. Put aside the smart-mouthed denunciations of each QB, the fact is, there should be a number of 1-3rd round selections at the position.

Guys like LeFevour are better prospects than earlier MAC/mid-major prospects aside from Leftwich and Big Ben. Pike is a good prospect, even if he's not a great prospect.

I recall geniuses nitpicking the 2004 class too. Didn't make them right for doubting Philip Rivers or Big Ben, both EXCELLENT college QBs. This class has depth, though it's peak talents aren't as high as 2004, at least based on observation. But that does not make it a weak draft class. And we may very well be surprised by one of those top 3-5 QBs who goes onto a great career.

If you are going to run Shanahan's numerous boot-leg plays what is most important??? you need to be accurate but you also need a strong arm. Colt McCoy has an arm comparable to a jelly product. I don't care if he completed 100% of his passes at Texas and neither do the scouts. Why? Cause he doesn't have an NFL arm and he especially does not have an arm for Shanahan's system..... end of story.

Lets be realistic...

It'll come down to Clausen or Bradford. Not Suh, not Gerald McCoy, not Berry, not Okung, not Spiller. Even if they do drop to us we will not take them. We probably won't trade back either.

New coaching means a new QB. Look at Mangini. He didn't get "his guy" in the draft and now his job is on the line because he doesn't have a reliable QB to work with.

Only way we don't take Clausen or Bradford is if they're gone.

You may totally disagree with this whole post, but you can't tell me that a DT or a safety is our biggest need. Heck, I don't even think either OFFENSIVE TACKLE spots are our biggest need. Get Samuels back from his injury, slide Levi Jones over to right tackle, and now you just need depth and interior linemen, and we all know we wont take a guard with a top 10 pick.

I'm not sure where the Dan LeFevour love comes from, and I admit I have'nt seen much of him so before I judge him, I would like to see his combine, and maybe some vids.

My major concern as for his year this year is this...

On his entire 2009 schedule, the 2 best teams who aren't even great teams are, Arizona and Boston College. The rest are lol teams.

He lost both of those games, and in both games he threw for a total of 260 yards, completed around 58% of his passes. zero TDs and 2 INTs.

But like I said, those are just the immediate concerns and I would like to see more before passing judgement.

Oklahoma's losses in a few big games were clearly not a result of Sam Bradford's play. Looking at all the QB's available he looks to me as having the highest potential for success.

If college careers were accurate indicators, Jason Campbell was sure to succeed. He was drafted after an undefeated season that won the Nantional Championship. (Forget the fact he handed the ball to two first round draft picks.)

He was undefeated but he didn't win the national championship. He did however beat the Hokie in the bowl game that year =( I believe even Carlos Rogers had a good game against them.

Archived