Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

looking for help with a smartphone decision

squatch66

I have the HTC hero with sprint and enjoy it. Texting is difficult at first but you get used to it, I don't use the horizontal qwerty keyboard, though, because my thumbs are too big for the buttons, but the vertical qwerty is pretty easy to use.

There are a ton of apps, but with version 1.5 OS we cannot save our apps to our memory card yet, and Sprint has not upgraded to 2.0 OS, so us hero users have to wait until 2.1 comes out.

Overall I like the phone, and the coverage. 3g is slow as hell most of the time, though.

Still waiting for the price to come down for data....

I pay around $40 a month for my unlimited Data Plan on Sprint. How much on does it cost on Verizon?

I'm holding out for the HTC EVO that's coming out this summer or the HTC HD2. Still undecided but I'm leaning more towards the EVO.

Had the motorola cliq (t-mobiles droid) for a while now. First one was a bum steer, but the replacement has been money.

I officially LOVE android! The apps are great and many free ones to choose from.

I dont think I can ever get away from having a physical keyboard, but this phone has both touch screen and keyboard so I win!

Definitely recommend anything android.

Still waiting for the price to come down for data....

Wouldn't hold your breath if you have Verizon. You can barely even buy a new phone now without having to buy some kind of data plan. I just got a new LG enV (not even the touch screen) in December and my Mom wanted to get one for herself last month and they told her you now have to get at least a 9.99 data plan in order to get one.

Rip offfffffffffffff!!!!

Sick and tired of Tmobile and their so called customer loyalty BS. Been with them for nearly 7 years and their idea of a cutomer loyalty discount is I pay $20 more than an advertised special for 2 phones and they give me a $20 a month break on my plan. A plan I may add that would be going from $90 to a much higher rate.

So..... looking at Sprint. Any techies have any advice? looking possibly towards the end of the month for making the switch. Time to step into this century and get a smartphone.

Sick and tired of Tmobile and their so called customer loyalty BS. Been with them for nearly 7 years and their idea of a cutomer loyalty discount is I pay $20 more than an advertised special for 2 phones and they give me a $20 a month break on my plan. A plan I may add that would be going from $90 to a much higher rate.

So..... looking at Sprint. Any techies have any advice? looking possibly towards the end of the month for making the switch. Time to step into this century and get a smartphone.

damn i'm surprised -- i've been with t-mobile for nearly that length of time and they'll wipe my freaking ass if i call in with a complaint. (which i never have any)... only times i seem to lose calls is when i'm talking with someone on an iphone.

they do partial discounts on phones. i lost my phone after just getting a new one and they sent me to some special department that pretty much just gave me a brand new one.

my only complaint is i have to wait another 8 months until i can get a reasonably priced google nexus. that ****ing phone is stupid expensive. so badass tho :evil:

Most American carriers prohibit this (tethering) on most of their phones. Some will only allow you to do it by paying an extra fee. Anyway, most "unlimited" data plans actually limit you to a fixed data limit before either throttling back your connection speed, cutting off your data, or charging you ridiculous rates. Please check you fair access policy (FAP) before proceeding. I think T-mobile only allows this with Blackberry and Windows Mobile phones with their most expensive data plan.

EDIT: Also, I believe that on T-mobile if you tether you can only use 3G with a Blackberry. Other phones that allow tethering (like the Windows Mobile phones) will not allow you to tether and use 3G even if the phone itself is 3G. Not 100% sure but I saw this here:

http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Laptop-Stick-Help/Can-I-use-my-cellphone-to-connect-w-o-stick/td-p/233572;jsessionid=FDB12EA0B09074A11E53401A8D19074A

ehh? i setup tethering on my g1 and on my roommates iphone. although, i will say t-mobiles 3g > at&t my connection speeds are blazingly fast in comparison.

anyways if you want to tether your iphone download blackra1n on your computer run the program -- install the cydia app store then find pdanet on cydia. also download some custom themes too cuz the iphone is soooo borrrrinng looking.

if you want to to tether with the blackberry windows mobile or android just go to junofabrics pdanet website and download the appropriate software onto your computer and you'll be off tethering.

sorry much more complicated process for iphone cuz steve jobs is a fag.

damn i'm surprised -- i've been with t-mobile for nearly that length of time and they'll wipe my freaking ass if i call in with a complaint. (which i never have any)...

I would have agreed with you a few days ago. A few years back I was going to leave them and they gave me a Blackberry to stay on with them. Mind you this was back when the BB rage was in full tilt and those lil suckers were expensive. No questions, no arguements, your BB is in the mail. Next upgrade was a nice deal on a "special" plan for loyal customers. Now 2.5 years later I guess they have their fill of customers and don't need to keep us old guys around. Such is the way customer service seems to headed. I tire of the "oh well, screw you" policies of most companies nowadays.

The thing that really irks me about it all is that I'm not asking for anything for free, not asking for them to give me the world. They have 2 offers right now, Buy 1 get 1 smartphones and an advertised 139.99 (plus 30.00 for my 3rd line) unlimited talk/text/web. I want both offers. They tell me I can have 139.99 rate plan and I pay 400 for each phone or I can get the phone discount of 179.99 (buy 1 get 1 free) and the rate plan will be 180.00 (plus 30.00) for my 3rd line. So I call customer care, I get an offer of 99.99 phones and all 3 lines for 190.00 a month.

With that I tell them no thanks and plan shopping I go!

The only way I see data plan prices go down is if there's a war for market share (which there should be).

On a side note, I've ALWAYS had this issue with Verizon even when I had them for cable and internet where it's what I call "intentional incompetence"—if you don't pay attention to everything they will make "honest mistakes" that benefit them. But when you call them on it, they're more than willing to fix it for you—you just have to call them on it. After about a decade of similar experiences in 3 states, I don't think it's an accident anymore.

FYI, if you buy a phone from Verizon you have 36 hours to return it without having to pay a $35 restocking fee. It's called their "Worry-free guarantee". I returned a phone I bought because I didn't like it within 24 hours and was doing my rebate form and looked at the receipt. They had charged me for the restocking fee, after they said they specifically would not. So I went back. Talked to their "triage nurse" and he said that ANY returned phone automatically generates a restocking fee, but I pressed and spoke to a rep and she took it right off. I didn't have to do the whole dog and pony of explaining what happened, so I assume she knew the drill.

The problem with Verizon is that out here in the sticks they have the best coverage by far, so they have no incentive to provide great customer service. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone, but I miss AT&T.

Got a Droid Eris this week and it is amazing.....of course I have Verizon tower I can see out my window.

Tethering was wicked easy too. I would highly recommend this phone!!!

After all my complaining about the cost of the data packages, I actually ordered one of these yesterday and should have it by tomorrow. Apparently, phones are in 3 categories now? 3G Smart phones, 3G multimedia phones and regular phones. My current phone is a 3G multimedia phone and apparently if I got something similar, I would be required to get a $10 data package which I was not required to do before. So, I just decided I would go ahead and get the $30 package and the smart phone. I am going to cancel my house phone that I never use to offset the cost. Hopefully I dont break the phone after I get frustrated with the touch screen...ha

After all my complaining about the cost of the data packages, I actually ordered one of these yesterday and should have it by tomorrow. Apparently, phones are in 3 categories now? 3G Smart phones, 3G multimedia phones and regular phones. My current phone is a 3G multimedia phone and apparently if I got something similar, I would be required to get a $10 data package which I was not required to do before. So, I just decided I would go ahead and get the $30 package and the smart phone. I am going to cancel my house phone that I never use to offset the cost. Hopefully I dont break the phone after I get frustrated with the touch screen...ha

The touch screen is frustrating at first but you get used to it. I already am starting to actually really like it. Supposedly the Android update that is coming for the Eris makes it better too.

There are a lot of cool apps available for Android. The Facebook integration with the phone is cool too. You can link your contacts to their Facebook profiles and it puts their profile picture as their contact ID photo.

If you have Windows 7 x64 be prepared to do some work setting the phone up for syncing. I got it accomplished but I had to watch an instructional video on YouTube. Use doubleTwist to synce music, video, etc. to the phone. It's free and works well. The only down side is it similar to the iTunes UI. :puke:

I knew you would cave!

The touch screen is frustrating at first but you get used to it. I already am starting to actually really like it. Supposedly the Android update that is coming for the Eris makes it better too.

There are a lot of cool apps available for Android. The Facebook integration with the phone is cool too. You can link your contacts to their Facebook profiles and it puts their profile picture as their contact ID photo.

If you have Windows 7 x64 be prepared to do some work setting the phone up for syncing. I got it accomplished but I had to watch an instructional video on YouTube. Use doubleTwist to synce music, video, etc. to the phone. It's free and works well. The only down side is it similar to the iTunes UI. :puke:

Thanks for the info! I guess I will see how things go when it gets here.

I knew you would cave!

The wife really wanted it and since they were strong arming me by making me pay for a $10 data package (that she would go over usage on) anyway, I was pretty much trapped into getting the $30 data package. If thats the case, might as well get the smart phone right?

The wife really wanted it and since they were strong arming me by making me pay for a $10 data package (that she would go over usage on) anyway, I was pretty much trapped into getting the $30 data package. If thats the case, might as well get the smart phone right?

That's pretty much why I got one too. I wasn't paying $10 for data on my voyager. But trust me, now that you have a smartphone, you'll never want to go back.

The Hero is the sister phone to the Eris (which I own). I love my Eris, and will love it more when the 2.0 update comes out. Go with the Hero.

I actually liked the hero and considered it before I got my eris. I would say go for that one. It seems to be a lot smoother than the samsung. The samsung phones always seem to have a lag.

I actually liked the hero and considered it before I got my eris. I would say go for that one. It seems to be a lot smoother than the samsung. The samsung phones always seem to have a lag.

You'll love the Eris dude.

Make sure you download TasKiller to keep your memory clean and phone running smoothly.

Archived