Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

looking for help with a smartphone decision

squatch66

• 3 weeks later...

Now I'm contemplating getting a smartphone (with Verizon) and not really interested in switching to ATT for the iPhone (because their service sucks in my area).

I'm interested in getting the Palm Pixi because of the real keyboard but am doing my research into other models and wanted to get opinions. Other phone in consideration is the Droid Eris.

I recently picked up the motorola cliq (android droidesq type phone). I really like it so far. I have learned that I definitely need keyboard backup to the touch screen.

I really wanted the nexus one (I'm on Tmobile), but the bastages wouldnt allow me to keep my "Loyalty plan" that I have had for awhile with that one. I just couldnt justify $80 more per month with no difference in service for essentially the same phone I ended up with (except with the keyboard too)

Now I'm contemplating getting a smartphone (with Verizon) and not really interested in switching to ATT for the iPhone (because their service sucks in my area).

I'm interested in getting the Palm Pixi because of the real keyboard but am doing my research into other models and wanted to get opinions. Other phone in consideration is the Droid Eris.

You won't regret getting the Eris. The keyboard is very responsive and after a week it learns your typing style and adjusts to it. The spellcheck/predict text algorithm is also very well programmed.

I prefer the physical keyboard, because I am used to it. That is the only reason.

My girl texts 10x more than I do with a touchscreen and loves her phone. I have used her phone to text and it is pretty easy.

All of this debate is preference more than substance. Just find the phone you like with the stuff you will use and you will love it.

i have had the droid and the iphone, they are similar but the software on the iphone seems to run smoother. I love the iphone and would never give it up, in fact my phone cracked all the way with a whole in the screen that went to the back microship, and the phone worked still perfectly unbelievable i know but just saying the iphone is nice

Question:

Is it true some smart phones can be hooked up to a computer via usb and use phone as the internet connection to surf the web? I have T-mobile with an upgrade ready, and I really want to get the motorola cliq (looks comfy for me), but if I can hook it up to my computer and surf the web, I can avoid getting raped by Cox again. I was told the Cliq could do this, has anyone ever heard of this before?

Question:

Is it true some smart phones can be hooked up to a computer via usb and use phone as the internet connection to surf the web? I have T-mobile with an upgrade ready, and I really want to get the motorola cliq (looks comfy for me), but if I can hook it up to my computer and surf the web, I can avoid getting raped by Cox again. I was told the Cliq could do this, has anyone ever heard of this before?

Yes, its called tethering

Question:

Most American carriers prohibit this (tethering) on most of their phones. Some will only allow you to do it by paying an extra fee. Anyway, most "unlimited" data plans actually limit you to a fixed data limit before either throttling back your connection speed, cutting off your data, or charging you ridiculous rates. Please check you fair access policy (FAP) before proceeding. I think T-mobile only allows this with Blackberry and Windows Mobile phones with their most expensive data plan.

EDIT: Also, I believe that on T-mobile if you tether you can only use 3G with a Blackberry. Other phones that allow tethering (like the Windows Mobile phones) will not allow you to tether and use 3G even if the phone itself is 3G. Not 100% sure but I saw this here:

http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Laptop-Stick-Help/Can-I-use-my-cellphone-to-connect-w-o-stick/td-p/233572;jsessionid=FDB12EA0B09074A11E53401A8D19074A

I need some help as well. I have Verizon now with a pretty nice corporate discount. I need to purchase a new phone to access corporate email and received this guidance:

If you plan to purchase a new cell phone in the coming months, please be aware that a new law will go into effect January 1, 2010, that may impact your ability to connect to XXXXXXX's messaging enviornment (corporate e-mail) without the proper phone.

Starting in 2010, Massachusetts and Nevada laws will require encryption of data in cell phones and other mobile devices for several types of Personally Identifiable Information (PII). We're anticipating that additional states will follow suit, so it makes sense to take a strategic, yet measured approach. A modification of the approach for cell phone acquisition and access to the XXXXXX network is necessary to help ensure we maintain XXXXXX's compliance regarding the protection of personal information that may be contained on cell phones that have access to corporate e-mail.

Due to device capabilities and XXXXXXX's current technology environment, only the Apple iPhone 3 GS meets the new compliance requirements. With that in mind, effective December 21, only the Apple iPhone 3 GS will be considered a sanctioned device and be permitted to connect to the XXXXXXXX messaging environment. We expect that as mobile technology and XXXXXXX technology environment evolve, the pool of sanctioned phones will be expanded.

So does that mean I can only get a phone from AT&T after using Verizon for 20 years? I don't know jack**** about IPhones but it is my understanding that I can only get one from AT&T? Or will this technology become commonplace fairly quickly that I should wait for more approved devices?

I just got a Droid with Verizon. I love it, keypad, apps, etc. My wife has a blackberry storm and loves it as well. The only thing her's can do that mine cant right now is play Sirius Satellite radio as they have an app and the Droid doesn't.

I have thought about a smartphone many times especially with the new google phone coming out. My problem is that I have verizon and for my wife and I to get smartphones, it would cost us an additional $60 a month just for the data. That is insane! How the heck do verizon customers deal with that? $720 a year is a lot of money to spend to surf the internet considering I dont spend that much on my ACTUAL internet! I would never give up my verizon phone though because the network cannot be touched. I guess I will just camp out here in the phone stone age until verizon comes to their damn senses or the next best thing comes out.

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up not going with a smartphone. Wasn't interested in paying an extra $10 or $30/month for a data package—just don't use it at this point. Although if I had it I'd find ways to use it, but just had no desire to pay an extra $720 to Verizon over the next two years.

I got one of those "ruggedized" Casio phones, a newer version of what I already have.

Anyway, in the whole Verizon store there was only a total of 7 phones that did not require a data package. So that's the way these things are going. Next time I renew my contract I won't have anymore options NOT to pay an extra $10 month per line for cell phone use.

Still waiting for the price to come down for data....

Its not going to happen. In fact, in recent weeks, AT&T and Verizon both said they're getting ready to ditch unlimited data plans altogether because the rapid increase in smart phones has pushed their networks to the breaking point. If anything data plans are going to get more expensive.

Its not going to happen. In fact, in recent weeks, AT&T and Verizon both said they're getting ready to ditch unlimited data plans altogether because the rapid increase in smart phones has pushed their networks to the breaking point. If anything data plans are going to get more expensive.

Then I will continue to have my not-so-smartphone and use my computer to surf the internet....

Archived