Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Page 2: 10 Worst Moments in Redskins' History

MattFancy

10 Worst Moments in Redskins' History*

*Not including the team's insistence on keeping a racially insensitive nickname and mascot or becoming the last professional team to integrate, which they did only under pressure of legal action from the Kennedy administration.

10 - 2002: Daniel Snyder hires Steve Spurrier, who is doomed to fail when he studies his first opponent on film and remarks, "That defense looks a little tougher than Vanderbilt's."

9 - 1959-1961: Also known as the Matt Millen years. In '59, the Redskins drafted Boston College QB Don Allard fourth overall. In '60, they drafted Penn State QB Richie Lucas fourth overall. In '61, they drafted Wake Forest QB Norm Snead second overall. In related news, the Redskins had two winning seasons from 1949 to 1968.

8 - 2009: Lions 19, Redskins 14. Detroit snaps its 19-game losing streak. Fans start fondly remembering Richie Petitbon.

7 - 1940: Lose NFL championship game 73-0 to the Bears. The team threw eight interceptions, committed eight penalties and allowed 519 yards. On the bright side, the Bears missed four extra points. It could have been worse.

6 - 1997: Quarterback Gus Frerotte injures himself after slamming his head into a wall to celebrate a touchdown. At least the wall was padded.

5 - 1984: Quarterback Joe Theismann throws a perfect screen pass to Raiders linebacker Jack Squirek for a touchdown in the Super Bowl.

4 - 1997: Wide receiver Michael Westbrook is caught on camera attacking teammate Stephen Davis during practice. Considering the pounding Westbrook delivered, it became even more evident he had hands of stone.

3 - 1985: The flea-flicker play that didn't quite work out way back in 1985.

2 - 1999: Snyder buys team. Signs first free agent.

1 - 2009: That excruciatingly awful fake/trick field goal attempt Monday night that will go down as the worst designed play in NFL history. Even Richard Nixon had a better playbook.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=4765251

I would've never guess what #1 was.

I witnessed at least 6 of these. :doh: And people seriously have to stop being so defensive. We suck: period. We'll be better but that depends on how things come together.

I also thought that Snyder buying the team should have been #1 or #2 if Sean Taylor's death was added to the list. If they decided not to add that because this was supposed to be humerous, then it should have been renamed to "10 Worst Mishaps in Redskins History" or "10 Worst Foul-Ups in Redskins History."

I'd put Snyder buying the team at #1. The heart-breaking INT or Marcus Allen's long run in the '84 Superbowl at #2. Joey-T's broken leg should be in there. As well as firing Marty and bringing Vinny back.

I know the list was intended to be funny, but damn. :(

"3 - 1985: The flea-flicker play that didn't quite work out way back in 1985."

Take a guess what that's in reference to.

There are more worthy that aren't on this list. How about:

losing Super Bowl XVIII in a blowout.

1998 Monday night when the 49ers beat the Redskins 45-10 and you realized the Redskins seemed hopeless.

Whole 1994 season especially when Dallas blew us out

1993 losing to Arizona 36-6 when Arizona was a doormat and it made you realize the greatness of Joe Gibbs I was over and we wouldn't even sniff the playoffs for 6 seasons

2000 and 2006 offseasons when we spent money foolishly on the wrong people

Archived