Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell...Cut him or Keep him?

Ron78

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

No CBA deal means you make him a RFA with at least the 2nd round tender. That way you keep him on the cheap until you identify what your new coach wants at that position. If another team wants him we'll have right of first refusal, and if we choose not to match the offer, we get a 2nd round pick from the team.

It's a win/win

Exactly...its that simple

We didn't always agree on Campbell. You liked him at the beginning.

If Partrick comes back, you'll come around to my side.

im well aware, i gave him the window i give to all players. he failed miserably and the window still isnt closed.

but ramsey didnt play well here, hasnt played well anywhere else, and currently isnt in the league (to my knowledge). i expect him to be selling used cars in phoenix sometime in the near future.

I've definitely been on the fence about it. JC isn't terrible. He's a Coryell quarterback without an elite o-line and without an elite running game. Now he's got a bad o-line, a bad running game and he's in a WCO. He's just average.

Now-a-days, he's not good enough to keep us in contention for a title every year. NONE of the elite teams have game managers at QB. Colts, Saints, Chargers, Vikings, Eagles, Pats, Bengals - they all have guys who can win a game when they have to. It's time to start over. This is the difference between going 8-8 every year and going 12-4 every year.

I would like to see either him or Collins under center in 2010 though while we have a guy like Sam Bradford ride the bench and we rebuild the offensive line.

im well aware, i gave him the window i give to all players. he failed miserably and the window still isnt closed.

but ramsey didnt play well here, hasnt played well anywhere else, and currently isnt in the league (to my knowledge). i expect him to be selling used cars in phoenix sometime in the near future.

I disagree with the assessment of his play here.

In 2004, he was far better than Brunell and looked good in the limited action he had in 2005.

Keep Candle. Lowball him. Don't try to outbid any other team that wants him. See if a team is willing to part with a #1 or (#1 + #3) whatever we get by rule, to get a QB with average stats for a cheap salary.

Start Todd Collins the next two games to see if HE can be our placeholder/backup while we draft or sign a good QB prospect.

Candle is a known quantity. Placeholder/backup next year if Collins doesn't work out, and possibly a good trade for picks through FA rules.

Keep him. You aren't going to get anybody better this offseason. Too many holes and no one in the draft at QB strikes me as someone we need to use a high first rounder on.

I disagree.but who am i right?I think Clausen,(sp) is gonna be an outstanding draft choice.Will he be available when we draft?Well i'm not a psychic,but i think theres a very good chance.Just cant see passing him up.Could potentially fix our qb position for a long time.

I'm not saying you start him next season though.I'm saying we draft him and spend the rest of our draft on o-line.Then next seasons draft we continue with the o-line.With a lil free agency and good draft picks we can fix this line in 2 years.Plus have our qb of the possible future waiting.

Regardless of how ES fans might feel, whether the Skins keep Campbell, or cut him, will be dependent on a LOT of factors:

1. What does Allen, Snyder, the director of player personnel, and the 2010 Skins' HC think of Campbell? Do they see Jason as a good fit for the 2010 Skins' offensive scheme? And how badly do they want to keep him? Or would they be willing to let Campbell slip away to another team?

2. Will there be a CBA in 2010? If there's no CBA, then it becomes tactically prudent to lock up Campbell as an RFA -- even if the Skins don't plan to keep him. (Trade value, etc.)

However, if there is a CBA, then all the "cap hits' for Portis, Thomas, Samuels, and maybe Griffin, along with existing dead money would be a BIG factor. In that situation, how much room is there to compete for retaining Cambell's services?

3. What if the Skins luck into a chance at drafting their top-rated QB, or top-rated OL? A lot depends on draft-position and what the teams ahead of do. However, if the Skins top-rated QB fell to us in the first round, there could be a situation where we trade a valued player (Campbell) for a second round pick and use the 2 second rounders to bolster the O-line. Or if we get the top-rated OL pick, is there still a rookie QB that falls to us later, or do we wait until next year? The draft could determine Campbell's fate.

4. Or maybe the Skins opt to look for a different 'veteran' QB, to compete or play in front of the rookie QB. Is it possible the Skins could land such a QB via a trade? For example, what about trading for Rosenfels, Volek, Ramsey, Stanton, Clemens, etc. (At one point I even had Gradkowski on this list.) Maybe swap Campbell straight up?

FINAL COMMENTS: While I'm not a big fan of Campbell, I note how he's a durable 5-year vet with two years of personalized development/grooming by one of the game's well-respecteded QB-coaches. Jason's had lots of invaluable game-time experience, and he's now in the traditional prime years for a QB. We've seen that when given lots of time, he can make the long throws, and he's got a powerful arm. And as he's slowly shown improvement from his sophmore season, and would now probably suffice behind a very good O-line and running game, especially in a system that doesn't rely on quick reads, quick releases, or on pin-point timing/accuracy.

So, from a tactical aspect, there's a possibily that Campbell "could" be a stop-gap QB, buying time for the new rookie QB to learn the ropes. But, that said, there are other QBs (some mentioned above) who might be able do the same thing for the Skins.

Personally, I just want some significant changes from this sad season. Considering all that has transpired, I'm confident we're going to to have a lot of them --but just not sure yet if Campbell is one of them. The bottom line is there are just too many variables involved.

At this juncture, I suspect the Skins may be looking for a way to avoid throwing more good money after bad, yet still recovering something for all the draft-picks/coaching/playing time they sunk into Campbell. As Jason's going to have value on this years QB free-agent market, the Redskins would be smart to make sure they don't wind up with nothing.

Jason needs far too much time in the pocket to get the ball off, and he is never going to pan out. The Redskins made him a millionaire. Stop feeling sorry for him, and wish him luck in his next job with the United Football League.

I can not believe how many people voted to keep him.

Jason needs far too much time in the pocket to get the ball off, and he is never going to pan out. The Redskins made him a millionaire. Stop feeling sorry for him, and wish him luck in his next job with the United Football League.

I can not believe how many people voted to keep him.

Well, I didn't vote, because I think my vote to keep him wouldn't be in the spirit of the OP.

I didn't vote to keep him or cut him. Just too many variables yet to clearly decide one way or the other. The situation with the CBA is one of the biggest variables -- and could influence Campbell's future with this team.

Even if someone doesn't want Campbell staying with the team, I suspect they would still want the Skins to recover some value for all they invested in Jason.

Jason has done nothing for the Skins in his 5 years with them to justify keeping him around.

Other than fact that we invested in a dumb bell. 3 picks is what we gave up for him ... and, we are yet waiting for him to deliver.

Todd Collins played better than him yesterday. Seeing that JC decided to come back...

Enough already! Time for a complete overhaul!

You have to let him go. The relationship has gone sour long before the season started. I don't blame Jason. He got treated poorly here. Allow him to move on, because it can only get uglier.

what do you mean? as if. I .... I... I.... I dont know what to say to your post? he got treated poorly here? Well what do you know! a back up QB that was fortunate enough to get a starting gig, nowhere near was he a 1st rder, he gets a 1st rd pick salary making millions, fooling fans thinking he is a good when infact he is one os the crappiest starting QB int he league? oh and we treated him poorly? well hell man!!!!!!!!! i wouldnt mind being in his shoes at all.

i mean afterall, who would get special treatment if u suck at what u do. at leat he is getting paid well.

u feel for him? awwwww. im sure he is thankful with all that underserved money he made. this guy candle basically won the lottery.

edit: i mean a proven veteran QB like MCnabb gets booed just about every yr, even gets benched by his coach ..... i wonder how you would feel for him if you were an Iggles fan? i mean u would die for him i bet since u feel taht underserving, pathetic, unproven, worthless, hasnt done anything since he has started for the redskins , jason candle is worth feeling sorry for.

Keep him. Build up the o-line. Gibbs won 3 Superbowls with 3 different QB's, but had one constant: Great Offensive Line play.
And a hall of fame running back, a hall of fame WR, a hall of fame CB, a plethora of all-pro RBs, WRS, DEs, LBs, an MVP kicker, etc, etc, etc...

Archived