Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your top 5 WR's in the NFL

WVUforREDSKINS

There's a bunch of upside with S. Smith of the Giants, D. Jackson, M. Austin, and D. Thomas. The #1 receivers in the East have a great deal of potential and upside.

I think Hakeem Nicks is going to be more of a game breaker than the Giants' Steve Smith. The WR position for the Giants is in good hands for years to come.

But, the Skins, Cowboys, and Giants are all going to draft with D. Jackson in mind.

hard to put a slot wr in the top 5. especially when randy moss is getting all the attention. he is having a great season though.

fsunoles has it right. The fact that Welker primarily plays in the slot is absolutely irrelevant because he is still an every down player on that team and draws more attention from the defense than any other player on offense who is not named Moss. In fact, I might argue that Welker is the most important component of the Patriots' offense scheme.

If you've gone to any of the home games lately, Mitchell actually does get some playing time. I think Campbell is really hesitant to target guys he doesn't have a good rapport with.

I haven't been to any home games since last year's SNF vs. Dallas; however, I have seen Mitchell has been given a LITTLE playing time, but it's nowhere near enough especially with the mediocre play of ARE, who should be seeing less and less playing time.

;7136430']I think Hakeem Nicks is going to be more of a game breaker than the Giants' Steve Smith. The WR position for the Giants is in good hands for years to come.

But' date=' the Skins, Cowboys, and Giants are all going to draft with D. Jackson in mind.[/quote']

I agree that Nicks will be the game breaker, and even Manningham will be more of a big play receiver than Smith; however, Smith is Eli's safety valve and it appears as if Smith will be the #1 WR in NY for years to come.

fsunoles has it right. The fact that Welker primarily plays in the slot is absolutely irrelevant because he is still an every down player on that team and draws more attention from the defense than any other player on offense who is not named Moss. In fact, I might argue that Welker is the most important component of the Patriots' offense scheme.

i will not put a slot in the top 5, nobody else will either. he is second fiddle to randy moss. he doesn't get doubled.

i will not put a slot in the top 5, nobody else will either. he is second fiddle to randy moss. he doesn't get doubled.

Again, where a player is on the field is irrelevant. We're talking about a guy who is third in the league in receiving yardage and is on pace for 130+ catches despite missing two weeks of the season due to injury. He could still conceivably break Marvin Harrison's record for catches in a season.

Does having Randy Moss help his production? Of course... but he also helps Moss. Any time you have multiple threats with different skillsets on offense you can more or less dictate how a defense plays you. Moss stretches the field vertically while Welker demands attention nearer to the line of scrimmage. It's virtually impossible to shut down both and extremely difficult to shut down either one.

Again, where a player is on the field is irrelevant. We're talking about a guy who is third in the league in receiving yardage and is on pace for 130+ catches despite missing two weeks of the season due to injury. He could still conceivably break Marvin Harrison's record for catches in a season.

Does having Randy Moss help his production? Of course... but he also helps Moss. Any time you have multiple threats with different skillsets on offense you can more or less dictate how a defense plays you. Moss stretches the field vertically while Welker demands attention nearer to the line of scrimmage. It's virtually impossible to shut down both and extremely difficult to shut down either one.

Good counter argument. I think that it will be interesting to see how Welker does once Moss retires. I'm inclined to believe that his production will drop significantly but I don't have anything to base that feeling off of other than a gut feeling.

There is no doubt that Welker is a chain-mover and there is no doubt that Moss is a field-stretcher. Together, they are the perfect storm.

Given a choice between the two, I'd take Moss. If only because his skillset is in much higher demand (IMHO)... Can Welker survive and play well without Moss? I don't think so. I do, however, think that Moss can play well without Welker and that is why I'd put Moss above Welker.

That's ridiculous. Look at the Superbowl for instance. Welker set the NFL record for most receptions in a Superbowl, but the Patriots only scored 14 points. When given the option, most teams would much rather let Welker catch the ball than Moss. The Giants certainly did. Moss stretches the field and makes teams pay when he touches the ball. Whereas even compared to other possession receivers, Welker is an underneath threat.

That's ridiculous. Look at the Superbowl for instance. Welker set the NFL record for most receptions in a Superbowl, but the Patriots only scored 14 points. When given the option, most teams would much rather let Welker catch the ball than Moss. The Giants certainly did. Moss stretches the field and makes teams pay when he touches the ball. Whereas even compared to other possession receivers, Welker is an underneath threat.

You can't win a game when you're completely one-dimensional. The Patriots couldn't seem to run the ball and Brady didn't have enough time in the pocket to connect on the deep ball, so all they had to work with was the short-intermediate passing game. They didn't shut down Moss in the slightest, who still managed 5 receptions for 62 yards and a TD, but they did a remarkable job of disrupting Brady and not allowing a single play of more than 20 yards.

I think there are 20 receivers who could do what Welker does.

There is nobody who can do what Andre Johnson does.

I don't think D. Jackson is a top 5 NFL WR but he may be one of the most explosive which is a big difference. In evaluating him as a WR, you must take away his dynamic PR ability. Also for everyone who has D. Jackson on their list, in terms of performance THIS YEAR, Miles Austin has to be considered as well. I guess you could argue that DJ also had a pretty good rookie year but Miles is leading him in receptions, yards, TD's, and only slightly behind in ypc (these two are at the top of the league). Also I think Austin leads all WR's in RAC by a good margin.

My top 5

1. Larry Fitzgerald

2. Andre Johnson

3. Reggie Wayne

4. Randy Moss

5. Vincent Jackson

Honorable Mentions

Miles Austin .. considering that he's only started 10 games and is right at the top of the league in just about every major statistical category is amazing. His RAC and big play ability are incredible.

Brandon Marshall.. Can take over a game.. just thought V. Jackson's play is a step ahead of him this year. They remind me a lot of one another.

Wes Welker.. amazing receiver.. didn't include him because half of his catches come behind the los and he does most of his damage killing LB's and safeties in the slot

D Jackson... one of the most explosive receivers in the game but he's had a few games where he's dissapeared

Chad Ochocinco

In this order:

1. Larry Fitzgerald

2. Andre Johnson

3. Brandon Marshall

4. Steve Smith (Carolina)

5. Chad Ochocinco

-Reggie Wayne, Anquan Boldin, and Wes Welker deserves to be on the list, just a hair below the top five.

-Calvin Johnson will work his way into this list if not on top within three years.

Huge drop off after these nine. On others lists who are good WRs but not quite on top five level:

-Desean Jackson, all speed. He's the Santana Moss of now. And like Moss he'll fade over time.

-Randy Moss, got the athletic ability to be top five. But unlike players like Brandon Marshall and Steve Smith, he tends to come and go with the play of his quarterback.

-Miles Austin, benefitted from a few huge plays this year. Still don't think he's a consistent threat.

-Vincent Jackson, why? He's the fifth best weapon on a team full of offensive talent. His stats would vanish on a team in which he needed to carry the load.

-Randy Moss, got the athletic ability to be top five. But unlike players like Brandon Marshall and Steve Smith, he tends to come and go with the play of his quarterback.

What are you talking about? Unlike Marshall, Steve Smith 1.0, Andre Johnson, or Ochocinco, Randy Moss has had double digit TD's in each of the last three years. This year, he has more receiving yards than Larry Fitzgerald. Are all of them underperforming, too?

What are you talking about? Unlike Marshall, Steve Smith 1.0, Andre Johnson, or Ochocinco, Randy Moss has had double digit TD's in each of the last three years. This year, he has more receiving yards than Larry Fitzgerald. Are all of them underperforming, too?

You can make a fair case for Moss since I am stating my opinion between good and great, which is a really fine line.

And I am also stating my opinion based on right now. Three years ago my list probably would of been different. Most certainly with Moss as he was having huge numbers during the Patriots undefeated season.

But my case for Moss is based on THE most dependent position in football. WR depends on the quarterback, who depends on the offensive line. WR also depends on his fellow WRs to run the right routes to set up a play. With all these dependent variables, stats alone for a WR can be incredibly misleading.

And whereas Moss can put up huge numbers with Brady at QB, he only puts up decent numbers with Cassel at QB, and all but vanished into mediocrity in Oakland. Players like Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, and Steve Smith overcome these dependent variables to a greater degree than Moss can right now. It matters less that they have Matt Schaub, Kyle Orton, or Matt Moore passing to them, they still make plays. They still put forth an effort that makes me say they left their heart on the field whenever they play.

Again I'm not trying to say that Moss is average. I'd take him on the Skins right now if I could. But I'd take the WRs I rated above him just a bit more.

I'm not gonna hate b/c he's a girl...

If we had a Miles Austin on our team ....Whoa

He's big, fast has decent hands and doesn't do stupid dances after TD's

Damn:mad:

Yeah he does.

1. Andre Johnson

2. Reggie Wayne

3. Larry Fitzgerald

4. Santonio Holmes

5. Wes Welker

6. Kevin Ogletree

Archived