Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your top 5 WR's in the NFL

WVUforREDSKINS

I don't know if everybody in here is on drugs, but where the hell is Wes Welker?

I mean, you simply don't watch the NFL or know football if you don't include him in your top 5 list. The man is virtually uncoverable and is better after the catch than anybody. He's over 110 catches with a couple games still to play. He's a great player. Give him his credit.

I love Welker. But he's not a top 5 caliber WR. He's actually an extension to the Pats' running game. Nearly every catch he makes is inside 10 yards. He gets most of his yards after the catch. He's definitely a top 10 WR though.

Chad's stats aren't top 5 in the NFL this year. In fact, he has worse stats than Jackson and Austin this season, despite Austin not starting and Jackson missing 1.5 games. However, this debate shouldn't hinge solely on stats.

Rather, I think the question would be better phrased by asking which WR would you want on your team in the SB this year?

My rankings would be:

1a. Fitzgerald

1b. A. Johnson

3. Reggie Wayne (can't argue with his consistency, though I think Peyton could make Pierre Garcon into a superstar if he wanted to).

4. Brandon Marshall

5. Randy Moss

That being said, if I had to participate in some sort of franchise building endeavor, no way am I putting Marshall or Moss anywhere near my locker room. Same can probably be said for Ocho, and Steve Smith rubs me the wrong way as well for some reason.

The next tier is Austin/Jackson/Jackson and I fully expect Austin and Djax to only get better.

OchoCinco is a monster. The stats speak for themselves. He is def a top 5 WR.

Anyone going by stats you should be including Austin who's top 7th in yards, 1st in TDs, 1st in plays of 20+ yards, 3rd in plays of 40+ yards, 2nd in YPC (50+ catches), 3rd in YAC among WR.

All while only starting 10 games, and hardly seeing the field in the other 4.

Anyone going by stats you should be including Austin who's top 7th in yards, 1st in TDs, 1st in plays of 20+ yards, 3rd in plays of 40+ yards, 2nd in YPC (50+ catches), 3rd in YAC among WR.

All while only starting 10 games, and hardly seeing the field in the other 4.

Saying Miles Austin is a top-5 WR is like saying DJax is as well, and I don't believe either of them are yet. If I were starting a team and needed a WR, he wouldn't even be in my top-10.

Saying Miles Austin is a top-5 WR is like saying DJax is as well, and I don't believe either of them are yet. If I were starting a team and needed a WR, he wouldn't even be in my top-10.

I don't think either of them are top 5 yet either. They're both having good years but I'd like to see more before I crown either of them. DJax is basicly just a deep threat from what I've seen and while he's got speed to spare I've not seen him spend any time going over the middle.

I don't think either of them are top 5 yet either. They're both having good years but I'd like to see more before I crown either of them. DJax is basicly just a deep threat from what I've seen and while he's got speed to spare I've not seen him spend any time going over the middle.

He actually lines up in the slot a great number of plays that he's on the field. That being said, it makes sense for someone his size to avoid taking as many hits as possible, so keeping out of the middle of the field is preferable. I think lumping him in the category as "just a deep threat" is minimizing his talents though. He does things with the ball in his hands that no one else, save for perhaps Chris Johnson, can do.

In no particular order:

Reggie Wayne. (Marvin would of been up there had this been last year.).

Johnson, Andre and Calvin.

Larry Fitzgerald.

Steve Smith.

Randy Moss.

Brandon Marshall has the talent, but he's an A1 deuch. (I know, I know, what about Randy Moss I hear you cry? He is too, but he's improved since he's been under Belicheat, and his record can't have him excluded.).

Had a hard time leaving out the Bengals #85 too, who's more than worthy of being on that list. And before anyone jumps in about his character, he's harmless and just likes to have fun.

Hail.

*Edit* Shoot, just realised I picked 6 with both Johnson's. Personal choice, I'd take both and drop Moss. Logic choice, I'll leave out Calvin.

OchoCinco is a monster. The stats speak for themselves. He is def a top 5 WR.

Have you even looked up his stats for the year? There was a three or four game stretch earlier where he did next to nothing. His stats are average. Stats or not, he's not a top 5 WR "this year". Anyone that says so should probably find something else to watch. Ridiculous. You can tell from this thread who actually watches the games, and who doesn't.

Have you even looked up his stats for the year? There was a three or four game stretch earlier where he did next to nothing. His stats are average. Stats or not, he's not a top 5 WR "this year". Anyone that says so should probably find something else to watch. Ridiculous. You can tell from this thread who actually watches the games, and who doesn't.

Must of missed the part from the OP that specified "this year", shrugs.

Hail.

He actually lines up in the slot a great number of plays that he's on the field. That being said, it makes sense for someone his size to avoid taking as many hits as possible, so keeping out of the middle of the field is preferable. I think lumping him in the category as "just a deep threat" is minimizing his talents though. He does things with the ball in his hands that no one else, save for perhaps Chris Johnson, can do.

he lines up in the slot pretty often, yes, but his routes always have him catching the ball in space, and usually near the sideline. he hasn't proven himself a threat to catch the ball in traffic. the slot is actually a good position for him, because it makes it harder to jam him inside 5 yards... something even the sissiest corner could probably do with ease.

that said, every team that has tried to simply "take away" the sideline and/or deep ball from DJ has failed. he's just too athletic to cover for long 1-on-1, and he's a smart enough route runner to find the gaps in zone coverage.

the answer to DJ are twofold:

1) bait him with easy catches into the middle of the field. have your corners use outside leverage to force him across the middle and give him a little room. he has taken one real hit this season, and it knocked him out of that game (and the next, i think). give him the choice to either bail on a potential catch or take a punishing hit, and i wouldn't be surprised to see a little Todd Pinkston action.

2) wait for McNabb to retire. no one is going to be able to cover DJ for the 5+ seconds that McNabb often scrambles around for. what happens nearly every time McNabb extends a play? DJ gets a 50+ yard reception. Kolb won't be doing this.

oh yeah, and 3), and every time he's not in the slot, beat him like a rented mule in the 5 yards you're allowed to. looking at his build, i wouldn't be surprised if some of the better press corners in the league could completely prevent him from even crossing the line of scrimmage.

Archived