Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should the NCAA convert from a Bowl System to a Playoff System?

Ron78

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The Bowl system is less exciting and leaves unanswered questions in my opinion. I would find the NCAA football season far more interesting if the NCAA established a college football tournament.

I say a 16 game (32 team) tournament much like the NCAA basketball bracket. It would be like a second March Madness of the year. Inclusion would challenge, and give an opportunity to, smaller programs to grow and improve. An NCAA football tournament would be good for football and generate excitement among college alumni similar to the excitement that the NCAA basketball tournament generates.

Agree, but 1 week shorter. 8 team tourney. A team ranked 16th has no business playing for a championship IMO.

I think that is a valid point, but including smaller programs that are more likely to have a 16th ranked team would be good for that school, and it would be an incentive for those smaller schools to improve their programs. If a 16th ranked college football team got schooled by Florida or Alabama, it would be a pretty big motivator. It could also boost a #1 teams ego going into the next round.

I think that is a valid point, but including smaller programs that are more likely to have a 16th ranked team would be good for that school, and it would be an incentive for those smaller schools to improve their programs. If a 16th ranked college football team got schooled by Florida or Alabama, it would be a pretty big motivator. It could also boost a #1 teams ego going into the next round.

That's the thing though, smaller programs from non bcs conferences still have a chance to end the season in the top 8. I think we saw 3 this year (TCU, Cinci, Boise). If three make an 8 team tourney, the smaller programs can't really complain. They would still have a shot at the big one.

Plus 4 post season games under a 16 team tourney would be a lot. Might have to ask teams to play fewer during the season and that means lost revenue which makes it harder to convince the NCAA to change. 8 teams (3 weeks) would be a little more palatable.

I voted for the current system. If we go to a playoff system it has to be 4-team max. Otherwise the regular season is meaningless. I don't like a larger playoff system because it renders the regular season meaningless. Part of enjoying the college football season is watching teams try to navigate an undefeated or perfect season. Otherwise, what is the point of the Alabama-Florida game that just happened? The loser in most conference championship will be guaranteed a playoff spot. Does it seem right to render the excitement of "Hey, Florida is losing to Vanderbilt in November... this could ruin their season!".

As it is, most conferences act as somewhat of a playoff gate to get into their BCS bowls with the conference championship game. But there's never going to be any guarantee that brings a BCS+1 or 4-team max playoff system, because the same moneyed interests that "ruin" the bowl season would also want to ensure that every conference has a team in the playoff and maximize the number of games. The playoff system will turn out to be just as flawed, to me as the BCS system... and it will have the side-effect of ruining the fun of the college football season.

Plus 4 post season games under a 16 team tourney would be a lot. Might have to ask teams to play fewer during the season and that means lost revenue which makes it harder to convince the NCAA to change. 8 teams (3 weeks) would be a little more palatable.

You would not lose revenue by turning a regular season game into a playoff game (if it would even be necessary). You would in fact probably increase that revenue since a playoff game is generally more interesting than a regular season game.

I voted for the current system. If we go to a playoff system it has to be 4-team max. Otherwise the regular season is meaningless. I don't like a larger playoff system because it renders the regular season meaningless. Part of enjoying the college football season is watching teams try to navigate an undefeated or perfect season. Otherwise, what is the point of the Alabama-Florida game that just happened? The loser in most conference championship will be guaranteed a playoff spot. Does it seem right to render the excitement of "Hey, Florida is losing to Vanderbilt in November... this could ruin their season!".

As it is, most conferences act as somewhat of a playoff gate to get into their BCS bowls with the conference championship game. But there's never going to be any guarantee that brings a BCS+1 or 4-team max playoff system, because the same moneyed interests that "ruin" the bowl season would also want to ensure that every conference has a team in the playoff and maximize the number of games. The playoff system will turn out to be just as flawed, to me as the BCS system... and it will have the side-effect of ruining the fun of the college football season.

I am not buying that. An NCAA football tournament modeled after the NCAA basketball tournament would generate far more excitement than the current bowl system, would include far more college football fans, and would not be "flawed." If Florida loses to Vanderbilt, Florida deserves to lose to Vanderbilt.

Seriously, do people not watch NFL regular season games because they don't really matter?

I mean **** we still watch Redskins games despite the fact that they've been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

And Colts and Saints fans still watch their games even though they have playoff spots locked up.

And even if Florida and Bama will both get in to a playoff, their head-to-head DOES matter because it will affect their playoff ranking.

I want a playoff system, and I am also in favor of consolidating the conferences to provide the best possible season to lead to a playoff.

How many teams in Division 1A simply can't compete, have never been able to compete, and will never hope to compete? I'd say at least half of them. So get rid of the deadwood. Take those teams that have never been able to hang with division 1A and ship them down to Division 2, or make a division 1AA.. whatever.

Once you trim the fat, you can go about making a regular season that matters. Don't let the schools schedule their own opponents. Don't have a preseason ranking. Let the teams who exist in Div.1A recruit as normal, and then fight it out for a championship from scratch, just like they should.

~Bang

Yeah if theres one argument I will never buy into in discussions about a college football playoff, its that the new system would put less emphasis on the regular season games. Heck, this NFL season proves it. For a lot of the season, the Saints were battling it out with the Vikings for home field, even though both teams were doing quite well.

There are too many rivalries in college for players to just not play hard during the games. Trust me, they will play hard all the way through. This isnt the NFL. There arent going to be players who tank it during the season because they know they'll be back next year. Most of these guys arent going to make the NFL. THat means they have 4 or 5 years of playtime, and then its over. I would assume that they would make the most of it.

Quite frankly I like the uniqueness of the College Football Season. I don't want to see an NFL-lite... and to me that's what CFB is doing when they talk about a playoff system. Additionally these guys and teams are amateur teams, not professional.

Now, I agree with Bang's comment about getting rid of dead wood, etc. Most people who want a playoff have no way of augmenting the loss of interest in Bowl Games. I actually have thought of a scheme that will lead to the same amount of post-season games, and will not lose interest in bowl games.

1) Conferences are divided into an upper and lower tier, not this ridiculous atlantic and coastal or north and south or east and west BS we have now.

2) Only teams in the upper tier will be eligible to make the playoffs.

3) The schedule for teams is basically home and away games against teams in your conference in the upper tier.

4) At-large teams will form some type of super-conference of 4-5 tiers.

5) There will be no more conference championship games... as the conference winners will be clear from the results of the regular season.

6) The 6 winners of the upper tier conferences are qualified for the playoffs.

7) There is some type of at-large tournament for the 2 remaining BCS spots, which will give the TCU and Boise States

Okay and at step 7 is where I see the problem in the current system. The non-BCS conferences need to create some type of superconference and allow teams to play into the super-conference from the lower-tier non-BCS leagues. I know TCU's record says it's 13-0... but they should just be playing the Boise State's, Hawaii's and other non-BCS conference teams in some manner every season instead of playing Montgomery County Community College. I think if this were in place a BCS+1 (essentially 4-team playoff system?) would work...

Things I would like about divying up the conferences in tiers is that it would create a whole lot more rivalry and competition/regional excitement, additionally the top 2 teams in the lower tiers could play each other with guaranteed upper tier status for 2 years (while the loser would be up'd after 1 year).

My plan sounds like it would create a more complicated college football scheme.

Quite frankly I would like the idea of a professional league that takes footbal players straight out of high school. Than we can get the conference/college interests out of the equation and shift the high calibur football to a real professional league instead of this faux big-money college sports leagues. But that is as ideal of a position as hoping for a playoff system.

I picked 8 teams, but I'd rather see 4...two weekend tournament. Don't really need anymore than that....top 4 ranked teams.

Curious how many teams would you like to see from the NFL make the playoffs?

Currently there are 12 out of 32 in the NFL making the playoffs - while only 2 teams out of 120 currently in play for the championship in Div 1. Why not at least 16 teams making it?

Personally I like the NFL playoff system as is and would love to see 24 teams make it to a college playoff. With the top 8 teams getting a first round bye.

I don't mind the bowl system. Just a playoff if teams are undefeated. I don't mind that a 1 loss school from a major conference ala SEC can play for the national championship but schools like TCU cannot. Almost every team in the SEC is better than anyone a school like TCU would face.

Just a simple playoff should there be undefeated teams from major conferences.

Curious how many teams would you like to see from the NFL make the playoffs?

Currently there are 12 out of 32 in the NFL making the playoffs - while only 2 2 teams out of 120 currently in play for the championship in Div 1. Why not at least 16 teams making it?

I agree. You grow NCAA football by including more programs in a tournament that resembles the NCAA basketball tournament.

I don't mind the bowl system. Just a playoff if teams are undefeated. I don't mind that a 1 loss school from a major conference ala SEC can play for the national championship but schools like TCU cannot. Almost every team in the SEC is better than anyone a school like TCU would face.
We don't KNOW this.

Look at college basketball. MSU, UNC, and UCONN are better than GMU, right?

:no:

That's WHY they PLAY the GAME.

Archived