Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Gruden has no business in DC

#98QBKiller

I posted some of these thoughts in another thread but wanted to elaborate further because I keep seeing people say that they want Jon Gruden here as our next head coach.

First of all let me be clear about this, I don't want Shanahan here either. So this isn't an argument for Shanahan.

What has happened in the last few days is (unfortunately) groundbreaking for the Washington Redskins during the Snyder Era. Snyder is finally relinquishing his hand in personnel matters by shooing away his personal friend and longtime VP of Football Operations, Vinny Cerrato and bringing in an experienced General Manager with personal ties to the organization.

It looks as if after a more than a decade, Snyder is finally changing the structure of the organization from the top, to resemble other successful models of football franchises and it would be a shame to go back to our "big name" coach ways and not look for an up and coming guy that actually has the credentials to be a HC in this league (unlike Zorn). A guy that is hungry and not coming here for a payday like Gruden (and Shanahan) would be.

Gruden is locked into a contract extension with ESPN and has expressed on multiple occasions how happy he is with the MNF crew. Given Gruden's contentment with his ESPN job, it seems that the only way that he would be dragged back onto the sidelines is with lots of money and persuasion.

It's embarrassing to see some fans wishing for Snyder/Allen to do just this, when less than a week ago they were complaining about Vinny Cerrato and the way this franchise has been doing business since Snyder has taken over.

No coach has ever won Super Bowls with two different teams, and while it may happen at some point in the NFL, Jon Gruden isn't likely to be the guy to break that trend. He wasn't a Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick or Joe Gibbs or Jimmy Johnson, he was an above average coach that never put together a consistent contender of his franchise. And his only Super Bowl win was with a team that Tony Dungy largely helped to construct.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not big on Mike Shanahan for many of the same reasons, but at least he's had more success than Gruden and he was fired from Denver under suspicious and surprising circumstances so at least maybe he has something to prove. Again though, I'm very much against this hire as well. I see Shanahan as nothing more than the lesser of two evils.

Gruden however, is happy where he's at and if Snyder makes him an offer he can't refuse, then we'll just be in the same boat we have been for the last decade+ and the hiring of a GM will just have been an illusion to appease the fans after such a horrible reign as owner.

To me Gruden still has hunger. Which is why I see him as the lesser of evils in comparison to Shanahan.

I think if/when we hire one of these guys, and Shanahan in particular I might stop believing business as usual has changed. Especially with all these reports that Shanahan and Allen were a packaged deal all along.

I would probably take Gruden over Shanahan just because of the age difference. Younger coaches, by and large, make better hires.

But mainly, I agree with you. I was really hoping we would go with a fresh face as coach. My preference would be Sean McDermott or Mike Zimmer, and I think there are plenty of OC candidates out there.

But somehow, Snyder thinks that he tried the "fresh face" approach and it didn't work, so he won't do it again. Forget that it didn't work because that hire was unprepared and given a flawed roster, and forget that none of the big names worked either.

I posted some of these thoughts in another thread but wanted to elaborate further because I keep seeing people say that they want Jon Gruden here as our next head coach.

First of all let me be clear about this, I don't want Shanahan here either. So this isn't an argument for Shanahan.

What has happened in the last few days is (unfortunately) groundbreaking for the Washington Redskins during the Snyder Era. Snyder is finally relinquishing his hand in personnel matters by shooing away his personal friend and longtime VP of Football Operations, Vinny Cerrato and bringing in an experienced General Manager with personal ties to the organization.

It looks as if after a more than a decade, Snyder is finally changing the structure of the organization from the top, to resemble other successful models of football franchises and it would be a shame to go back to our "big name" coach ways and not look for an up and coming guy that actually has the credentials to be a HC in this league (unlike Zorn). A guy that is hungry and not coming here for a payday like Gruden (and Shanahan) would be.

Gruden is locked into a contract extension with ESPN and has expressed on multiple occasions how happy he is with the MNF crew. Given Gruden's contentment with his ESPN job, it seems that the only way that he would be dragged back onto the sidelines is with lots of money and persuasion.

It's embarrassing to see some fans wishing for Snyder/Allen to do just this, when less than a week ago they were complaining about Vinny Cerrato and the way this franchise has been doing business since Snyder has taken over.

No coach has ever won Super Bowls with two different teams, and while it may happen at some point in the NFL, Jon Gruden isn't likely to be the guy to break that trend. He wasn't a Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick or Joe Gibbs or Jimmy Johnson, he was an above average coach that never put together a consistent contender of his franchise. And his only Super Bowl win was with a team that Tony Dungy largely helped to construct.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not big on Mike Shanahan for many of the same reasons, but at least he's had more success than Gruden and he was fired from Denver under suspicious and surprising circumstances so at least maybe he has something to prove. Again though, I'm very much against this hire as well. I see Shanahan as nothing more than the lesser of two evils.

Gruden however, is happy where he's at and if Snyder makes him an offer he can't refuse, then we'll just be in the same boat we have been for the last decade+ and the hiring of a GM will just have been an illusion to appease the fans after such a horrible reign as owner.

I disagree. Gruden was severely handicapped by multiple injuries to starting players in Tampa Bay. Most of the time Tampa always started the season with records like 9-3, 6-1, etc only to be hit with injuries that depleted the team. Considering what he had to work with (third stringers and all) he did a good job. You only have to look at how Tampa is performing now to see that Gruden was dong a lot with very little. I remember one season, almost all the quartebacks got injured that Gruden had to bring up Gradkowski who was like the 4th back up QB. Gruden proved himself in Oakland as well. On other hand, shanahan hasn't won anything without Elway. Gruden is 46 yrs old! if there's anyone who has another super bowl in his blood it's Gruden. Give him a young team with lots of talent on offense like the redskins and he'll perform.

So does anyone else think that throwing money at Gruden and persuading him from ESPN would contradict what Snyder is trying to with the structure of the organization? Hiring a GM means little if we're going to plant the seeds of the next era of this team the same that we have since Snyder has taken over (spending big money for questionable big names).

no coach has ever won super bowls with 2 different teams, therefore it will never ever happen

business

All trannys need to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.- Thomas Jefferson

I don't recall Jefferson being that concerned about trannys, maybe he had a bad experience with a bar pickup or something?

So does anyone else think that throwing money at Gruden and persuading him from ESPN would contradict what Snyder is trying to with the structure of the organization? Hiring a GM means little if we're going to plant the seeds of the next era of this team the same that we have since Snyder has taken over (spending big money for questionable big names).

I agree with you. It would show me that Snyder is still calling the shots, not Allen.

];7128844']He's supposedly tweaked his offense significantly since his TB days. If he comes here were pretty much guaranteed to draft Tim Tebow.

Didn't know he had an offense since his Tampa days.

TeBow? Don't we already have two really good TE's? Or is Gruden considering the GatorCat offense?

I like Gruden more than Shanny for this reason, Gruden I believe has had time to watch football from a different perspective and I think he realizes some of the mistakes he has made and may have an open mind on his coaching philosophy where I think that Shanny will be very hard to work with and very stubborn head coach. I think we need a younger coach like Gruden to get this team to the next level.

And his only Super Bowl win was with a team that Tony Dungy largely helped to construct.

Where did Bruce Allen fit into all that? While I never thought much of Gruden taking Dungy's team to the SB and was glad to see Tony do it in Indy because of that, Gruden and Allen could work here. Why you ask? Allen was hampered by very cheap owners in Tampa. They often let guys like Warrick Dunn, Sapp, Brooks, Lynch and other core players walk away to bigger contracts from other teams. I think we all know Snyder won't snap his purse shut when Allen wants a vet to stay or go get one. I also would like to see what Chucky has to say on Monday in regard to Jason Campbell, those comments could clearly indicate what Chucky will consider doing next year. He loves QB's.

The problem with Gruden is the same major problem that Gregg Williams has.

Both are kind of *******s, and that can work for a year or two. But nothing longer.

If you have a young, undisciplined team who will buy into it, a guy like Gruden, Gregg, or Buddy Ryan can come in and motivate them for a year or two.

After that, everyone gets sick of the *******, and he loses the locker room.

Then they turn, and he is done.

In Jacksonville, they never bought into Gregg. Now you see the Saints D is begginning to get lit up.

The same happened in Tampa with Gruden.

Shanahan made it to the AFC Championship game with Jake Plummer at QB and a crappy D. The guy knows how to coach. What he DOESN'T know how to do is pick a decent Defensive Coordinator or evaluate Defensive talent. If Bruce Allen can either talk Blache and his D-staff into staying or bring in a strong Defensive Coordinator, Mike can, and likely will, be successful in Washington.

Then again, I wouldn't mind Chucky either. The stupid tuck rule prevented him from reaching the Super Bowl in Oakland and it was still HIS team he faced while coaching the Bucs.

Still, I'd prefer a no-nonsense type of guy like Cowher. He's more of a NFC East-type coach and would whip these players into shape, get rid of the prima donnas and get the most out of the overachievers. My guess is he'll end up with the Panthers though. I can't help but wonder if Jim Harbaugh could follow in his brother's footsteps and make the successful jump to the NFL. He has a leg up on most college coaches, having actually played in the NFL and almost reaching the Super Bowl. Look at what he did at San Diego and Stanford. I think he's already more qualified to run this team than Zorn.

Archived