Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Gruden has no business in DC

#98QBKiller

I don't know. I personally would not mind Gruden and kind of prefer him. To me, Gruden certainly seems passionate about the game of football. Both guys are already millionaires and Shanahan is still getting paid a boatload from his Denver contract. I think Tampa is seriously regretting the moves to replace Allen and Gruden.

I really do not want either guy as the coach. Call me crazy (borderline insane), but I would rather have Zorn for a year 3 than have Gruden or Shanahan next year. At least Zorn would have something to prove. What do Gruden and Shanahan have to prove? Absolutely nothing.

You're crazy! But, I like you're train of thought. Let's say the Skins win out (it's possible), we finish mediocre as we normally do, but unlike last year, we end on a high note. Then what? Blow up the team, change the culture in the locker room when things seem to be clicking? Keep Zorn & Campbell, draft lots of O Line, we enter year 3 of Thomas, Kelley, & Davis, and maybe a healthy ready to prove he's still viable Clinton, and perhaps this team wins next year. I know it's unlikely that any of that will happen, but I wouldn't mind if it did.

The problem with Gruden is the same major problem that Gregg Williams has.

Both are kind of *******s, and that can work for a year or two. But nothing longer.

If you have a young, undisciplined team who will buy into it, a guy like Gruden, Gregg, or Buddy Ryan can come in and motivate them for a year or two.

After that, everyone gets sick of the *******, and he loses the locker room.

Then they turn, and he is done.

In Jacksonville, they never bought into Gregg. Now you see the Saints D is begginning to get lit up.

The same happened in Tampa with Gruden.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen to Singletary.

No coach has ever won Super Bowls with two different teams, and while it may happen at some point in the NFL, Jon Gruden isn't likely to be the guy to break that trend.

No team had ever went 16-0 (in a 16 game schedule) until 2 years ago.

In MLB history no team had ever come back from 0-3 in a series to win it until the Sox did it.

No team had ever won a SB with a black QB until our Skins did it.

Etc...Etc...

There is a flaw in the logic that leads with "No team has ever..." because inevitably those words fall.

I don't want Gruden here because I think he only won in TB because he was handed a team ready to win and not because he is a brilliant coach.

I do however like Shanahan and I hope he comes here and because he chose us no one can ever again say "No coach has ever won Super Bowls with two different teams"

I really do not want either guy as the coach. Call me crazy (borderline insane), but I would rather have Zorn for a year 3 than have Gruden or Shanahan next year. At least Zorn would have something to prove. What do Gruden and Shanahan have to prove? Absolutely nothing.

Guess I'm a little nuts, as well. As lousy as the Redskins have looked at times this season, I'm not wild about the idea of tearing the team up yet again. What I've seen the last 4 weeks has impressed and excited me. Don't get me wrong, there definitely are some personnel issues that need to be addressed -- they've been too old, too long -- and the GM change was long overdue. But now, with the current scheme, personnel, and coaching arrangement, they're about as good as anybody and have proved that. I also think there's something to be said for a coaching staff and team that weathers such a brutal storm and comes out even stronger and better. There's a hunger and pride that hasn't been shown by this team in years. Plus, I'm not sold on Shanahan (or Gruden, for that matter). Another big name that will cost big money. Sounds like the recipe for another big disappointment in Washington.

No team had ever went 16-0 (in a 16 game schedule) until 2 years ago.

In MLB history no team had ever come back from 0-3 in a series to win it until the Sox did it.

No team had ever won a SB with a black QB until our Skins did it.

Etc...Etc...

There is a flaw in the logic that leads with "No team has ever..." because inevitably those words fall.

I don't want Gruden here because I think he only won in TB because he was handed a team ready to win and not because he is a brilliant coach.

I do however like Shanahan and I hope he comes here and because he chose us no one can ever again say "No coach has ever won Super Bowls with two different teams"

So you take a small part of my argument and dissect it like it's my overall point?

What bothers me more than the HC/SB fact, is that luring Gruden out of his ESPN contract would be a step down the same path that we've been on since Snyder bought the team: "Throw big money at a big name and everything will be fine."

Let's take a step back and think about the hire this time around. The fact that we're (allegedly) already interviewing people and communicating with someone like Shanahan should be enough of a hint that maybe the new GM is just smoke and mirrors and Snyder is back up to his old ways.

And back to what you consider important apparently, it's true no coach has won a SB with two teams. And it's usually because the returning coach doesn't have the staff and ambition that he had in his glory days. Hell, even taking Gibbs and putting him into a second stint here with some familiar faces didn't produce more than 2 wild cards in four years.

Some of us want a dynasty. A team that will compete for the SB for the next decade or so, not a rehashed HC that might get lucky getting a new team to the Super Bowl...or might be a complete bust.

If Snyder wants to really change the way this organization has been run for the last 10+ years then he needs to not just hire a guy and call him a "GM." He needs to translate that down to the coaching staff, to the players and onto the field.

Hiring the biggest name coaches out there is just more of the same.

I posted some of these thoughts in another thread but wanted to elaborate further because I keep seeing people say that they want Jon Gruden here as our next head coach.

It looks as if after a more than a decade, Snyder is finally changing the structure of the organization from the top, to resemble other successful models of football franchises and it would be a shame to go back to our "big name" coach ways and not look for an up and coming guy that actually has the credentials to be a HC in this league (unlike Zorn). A guy that is hungry and not coming here for a payday like Gruden (and Shanahan) would be.

Gruden is locked into a contract extension with ESPN and has expressed on multiple occasions how happy he is with the MNF crew. Given Gruden's contentment with his ESPN job, it seems that the only way that he would be dragged back onto the sidelines is with lots of money and persuasion.

<more of the same>.

So, you started a new thread to post 7 paragraphs that basically said you don't want Gruden because YOU think he would come for only the money (of course, you offer NO proof of this) and that no coach has ever won Super Bowls with 2 teams.

You completely contradict yourself with the paragraph shown above. If Gruden were ONLY interested in money, he would surely stay on MNF, collect the checks, and be happy. The reason he would come back is not money, but because HE WANTS to coach. Doh!!!! :doh:

So, you started a new thread to post 7 paragraphs that basically said you don't want Gruden because YOU think he would come for only the money (of course, you offer NO proof of this) and that no coach has ever won Super Bowls with 2 teams.

You completely contradict yourself with the paragraph shown above. If Gruden were ONLY interested in money, he would surely stay on MNF, collect the checks, and be happy. The reason he would come back is not money, but because HE WANTS to coach. Doh!!!! :doh:

So can you kindly point to where I said that he's only interested in money?

It's been well documented that he's locked into a tight contract. If he really wanted to come back and coach why would he sign an extension with ESPN knowing that he's obligated to it?

Every time someone brings up the fact that he's under contract, it's always returned with something like: "that will change when $$$ comes into play"

Do you really want a coach that has to be dragged out of his contract with money and persuasion?

Combine that with the fact that Gruden is a very mediocre coach to begin with and you can see why some of us aren't falling over ourselves to get this guy here.

Also, can you point to where I "completely contradict" myself in those paragraphs that you quoted?

I strongly believe that it will be Allen doing all the research on the next hc, and he will then give his strong recommndation as to to he would like to have as the HC. He will ask Snyder to sign off on it an it will be a done deal.

I would like to see a not so big name coach get the job, but concidering where this team is at, it may take someone with the credentials to turn things around.

I am not totally enamoured with Shanahan, but if he brings in a young OC to groom for the future, then that is a big plus for me.

I do believe Gruden has the necessary experience, and he has the hunger and fire to be a dynamic coach. I would be happy to have him as the new HC.

So if I was in Allens shoes I would be looking at:

1) Mike Mularkey

2) Leslie Fraser

3) jon Gruden

4) Mike Shanahan.

Archived