Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Mike Lombardi discusses Bruce Allen

themurf

allen.jpg

(courtesy photo)

You might have heard that the Washington Redskins were in the news today, what with the resignation of Vinny Cerrato and the immediate hiring of Bruce Allen as the team’s new executive vice president and general manager.

Well, in addition to the normal herd of local media members, there were a few special individuals in attendance at his press conference. Long-time Redskins trainer Bubba Tyer was in the house and seeing him caused Allen to stop in his tracks during his introductory comments just to recognize good old Bubba.

The other individual who earned a ’shout out’ during Allen’s comments was Mike Lombardi, who is seemingly everywhere these days. You may recognize the name from his work on the NFL Network, the National Football Post or Inside the NFL.

Well, the reason Lombardi was acknowledged during the press conference was because he used to work for Allen. With that in mind, we decided to chat up Lombardi to get any possible insight into the newest addition to the Washington Redskins family.

As an added bonus, we were joined by Matt Terl, the Redskins’ fantastic in-house blogger. Here’s what Lombardi had to say to us about your new general manager.

Redskins Blog: “I want to start by asking you: you’ve worked with Bruce Allen.”

Mike Lombardi: “Yeah.”

RB: “What are some of his strengths? What does he bring to the Redskins?”

ML: “He brings an element of the ability to communicate to the fanbase. The ability to give confidence to the people in the building. And his leadership is such that he’s able to take a lot of the information in and disseminate it around. And certainly working with the coaches and the head coach, I think he can reach a good decision.”

RB: “What do you think are the most important traits for a good general manager?”

ML: “Well, I think there’s all different style of general managers. I think certainly there are some that are just focused specifically on football and make football decisions, and then there are some strictly that focus on other aspects. But I think that Bruce, bein’ the son of a coach, he understands the game, he sees the big picture of the game, and I think he understand that the head coach has to be involved in a lot of the decisions. So I think it’ll be more of a democratic base than a dictatorship.”

Homer McFanboy: “Are there certain tendencies of a Bruce Allen team? If you look at the teams that he’s put together, are there things that stand out?”

ML: “Obviously the coach has a lot of say in what he runs. Y’know, Bruce doesn’t bring the offense or the defense to the team. It just becomes a situation where the coach — say, with Jon [Gruden], it was a West Coast Offense — and Bruce has great respect for coaches, and he values their opinions and he values their input.”

RB: “How much of a jump does this three weeks really give him?”

Click here for the full article.

I just got done with this very piece on Redskinsblog. I think this part is fairly significant.

RB = Redskinsblog

ML = Mike Lombardi

RB: “You’ve been a critic of Jason Campbell at points over the year. I’d be remiss if I didn’t ask you what you think of him at this point.”

ML: “Oh, I think he’s done a much better job. I think ultimately, I think the last three weeks — wow, the last five weeks — he’s played really well. He’s played better. And I think he’s certainly shown signs that he’s really developin’ and finding his rhythm a little bit, and being able to throw the ball in much better timing. And I think ultimately, not having to — you know, everybody thinks the running game is critical to make the quarterback successful, [but] I think that the burden of not having to feed the running game, and having ultimately a lot of different players at the running back position and not having to get so many touches to one player has made it alive and the offense more vibrant.”

It kind of reaffirms what I've been thinking. I was really critical of JC for a good portion of the season but I've recently eased off of that some and was of the opinion that JC has been playing much better the last two weeks. ML seems to think he's been playing better for the last 5 weeks.

I think if JC plays at at the same level the next three that he has been playing at the last 2, then Bruce Allen will most likely be satisified with him behind center. I said earlier if JC wins the two NFCE games and has a good showing that his stock would rise significantly. I would like to see his return if he does perform these next few games. Of course he would have to return at a reasonable cost to the club as I don't think he's earned any sort of McNabb or Eli contract. Yet.

HM: “Let’s say you were the guy sitting up there answering the questions today. What pieces would you be comfortable building off of that are already in place?”

ML: “My philosophy have always been that the game’s won with the offensive and defensive lines. I think that ultimately you’ve gotta have a great quarterback, and then the next place you go is offensive and defensive line. And I think that the Redskins going into the season, in spite of Vinny Cerrato proclaiming it as a playoff team, the offensive line was below caliber. They had too many injuries, too many guys that really were on the edge in terms of being able to be durable. And I think that you have to repair that before you can really compete. To win on the road in the NFL, you have to be really good in the offensive line.”

RB: “In your experience, do you think that’s something that Bruce Allen would also realize?”

ML: “I think he would. Having been with him at Oakland, we always had good offensive lines. And if you’re gonna play in the NFC East, you’ve gotta have a really good line, because the defensive lines are fairly significant to block. So you gotta match up to the competition, and you’ve gotta be able to beat the people that you’re playing.”

Some folks in ES think it's ALL the qb...looks like football folks think differently.

Some folks in ES think it's ALL the qb...looks like football folks think differently.

Agreed. Plus it appears that JC is starting to get "it".

Last Sunday night, I watched McSlab through a beautiful pass for a TD to Jackson. He had over 4 seconds (might have been damn near 5) with nobody near him as he threw.

I can count the times that has happened in the last 8 years on 1 hand. And 2 of them happened with Brunell to Moss in the Thrilla' in Dallas in one game.

I think if JC plays at at the same level the next three that he has been playing at the last 2, then Bruce Allen will most likely be satisified with him behind center. I said earlier if JC wins the two NFCE games and has a good showing that his stock would rise significantly. I would like to see his return if he does perform these next few games. Of course he would have to return at a reasonable cost to the club as I don't think he's earned any sort of McNabb or Eli contract. Yet.

At worst if JC looks good and we are going for a new QB anyway, we can get good picks for him. Either way we get something, an OL hopefully.

Who doesn't think the offensive line is a very significant part of a winning football team?

You may have missed it...there's a certain group here that can't get past JC...you know, blaming him for everything wrong with the team.

;)

Agreed. Plus it appears that JC is starting to get "it". .

I don't think that he suddenly 'gets' it so much as the play calling has been drawing more to his strengths. I've seen more long throws the last 4 weeks than I did in the previous season and a half. The whole game plan has become less predictable and that has led to the offenses's and Campbell's much improved performance. It actually looks like we have a modern NFL offense now.

Good interview questions and I like Lombardi on the NFL Network. Those who were worried about this hiring should feel better after reading this interview. Lombardi and Casserly won't just heap praise on someone for no reason- because then their credibility is instantly at stake being in the sports media world.

I am sure Lombardi is a good football guy, but he is a friend of Allen. So an objective opinion we will not get from him.

Lombardi's track record suggests he's not one to risk his credibility by saying nice things about a friend just to score brownie points. If he's got something to say -- good, bad or other -- he's going to say it.

I am sure Lombardi is a good football guy, but he is a friend of Allen. So an objective opinion we will not get from him.

Wow, man. 24 hours after arguably the biggest skins move in the Snyder era and your already rockin a sig that labels this guy a "yes man". Wow. That's all i can say is wow.

I understand being cautious but jumping that negative that fast is rough even for ES. Bruce Allen is a serious football executive. While I don't expect Dany Snyder to be completely silent, I think we can all at least give a few kudos to Dan for naming a real GM and giving him that title. Again, while I won't say "championship" (like I did when we signed Gibbs), I will say "Ok, Dan, good move, now let's see if you honor this guy's title".

Wow, man. 24 hours after arguably the biggest skins move in the Snyder era and your already rockin a sig that labels this guy a "yes man". Wow. That's all i can say is wow.

I understand being cautious but jumping that negative that fast is rough even for ES. Bruce Allen is a serious football executive. While I don't expect Dany Snyder to be completely silent, I think we can all at least give a few kudos to Dan for naming a real GM and giving him that title. Again, while I won't say "championship" (like I did when we signed Gibbs), I will say "Ok, Dan, good move, now let's see if you honor this guy's title".

Yep! Seriously capital d, all due respect and all but that's just real life man. That's how stuff is run DS is still the boss and no GM anywhere operates in a void. Who would want to?? It takes a team effort and that is all he said at the 6 min mark.

Give Allen some props too! A) His dad and hence impeccable skins blood-line (heritage matters) B) winning experience in the league working with some otehr "tough" owners! C) what kind of @$# comes out first day on the job and says "I am the boss I make the calls all me all the time."

Seriously man take it down just a notch or you'll drive yourself and everyone else :silly:

Dan was chompin at the bit to say something he was squirming in his chair like freakin Arnold Horshak... We (studder) I (studder) as a team (studder) will make a (studder) "Redskins Decision"

I hate the way this organization tries to use its name on things that suck... "Redskins decision" "Redskins Football" ... seriously? Was last week Redskins football? Finally? I haven't heard anybody come out and say it yet, but if that's it, it was definitely worth waiting for an explanation.

"He brings an element of the ability to communicate to the fanbase. The ability to give confidence to the people in the building."

Dear Lord that is terrible.

Seriously? lol, the reason we should be excited about a GM is his ability to communicate with the fanbase? I dont WANT to communicate with him, I just want him to build a good team. Seriously...

"He brings an element of the ability to communicate to the fanbase. The ability to give confidence to the people in the building."

Dear Lord that is terrible.

Seriously? lol, the reason we should be excited about a GM is his ability to communicate with the fanbase? I dont WANT to communicate with him, I just want him to build a good team. Seriously...

I think what's meant there is that he can actually string sentences together.

Vinny? Eh...not so much....

Umm..uh..you talkin bout sacks and stuff??

Archived