Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bad reffing in just the first half, on both teams

panel

First, we get a 15 yard penalty because Fred Davis dances, which is ridiculous

Reed Gets a penalty when it was the receiver that initiated contact

They called that big play to the Oakland receiver a catch, and it wasn't. Now this part is not the refs fault, but the booth review system is broke. They took too long to let the refs know to review the play. If it is in question, call the booth review immediately, don't review it to make sure that it is worth another review.

This part is the refs fault, the Raiders did get the play off, they should have never reviewed the play because the booth took too long to decide if the play was worth a review.

The punt return hit on El was a good hit, so they made the wrong call there, and then got another call when the Oakland bench complained against the bad call.

Oakland got screwed on the catch/drop/fumble that they used a time out on, and didn't have reviewed/ Looked to me like catch, and a ground caused fumble, but it was not even reviewed, and called imcomplete.

And then Gradkowski slid and the gave him a first down when he was clearly short, no booth review on the spot there either.

The biggest problem I see here is the booth review, tons of questionable calls, they only get reviewed if the commentators mention them. The coaches see thing worth challenging, but the booth crew is too stupid to see them. The only thing the booth seems to challenge is weather the ball was caught or not.

First, we get a 15 yard penalty because Fred Davis dances, which is ridiculous[/Quote]

Agreed. See MJD earlier today. He did a friggin hat dance and it didn't get called.

Reed Gets a penalty when it was the receiver that initiated contact[/Quote]

Not only was that illegal contact on Reed, it was probably holding.

They called that big play to the Oakland receiver a catch, and it wasn't. Now this part is not the refs fault, but the booth review system is broke. They took too long to let the refs know to review the play. If it is in question, call the booth review immediately, don't review it to make sure that it is worth another review.

This part is the refs fault, the Raiders did get the play off, they should have never reviewed the play because the booth took too long to decide if the play was worth a review.[/Quote]

That wasn't a catch. I'm glad they got it right.

The punt return hit on El was a good hit, so they made the wrong call there, and then got another call when the Oakland bench complained against the bad call.[/Quote]

2 yard cushion is required. Don't trust the commentators.

Oakland got screwed on the catch/drop/fumble that they used a time out on, and didn't have reviewed/ Looked to me like catch, and a ground caused fumble, but it was not even reviewed, and called imcomplete.[/Quote]

He didn't demonstrate control throughout the catch. Whenever a receiver hits the ground and the ball comes out, it should be ruled incomplete.

And then Gradkowski slid and the gave him a first down when he was clearly short, no booth review on the spot there either.[/Quote]

He went head first, I believe. Which is not a slide. He is live until contacted by a defender.

The biggest problem I see here is the booth review, tons of questionable calls, they only get reviewed if the commentators mention them. The coaches see thing worth challenging, but the booth crew is too stupid to see them. The only thing the booth seems to challenge is weather the ball was caught or not.

It wasn't that bad.

2 yard cushion is required. Don't trust the commentators.

Where do you get a 2 yard cushion is required, there is no such requirement and/or rule.

And in any case, did he even call for a fair catch, if not, he's fair game the second he catches the ball.

Other than the Davis call the refs were totally one sided against the Raiders. Thus the dominating score proving just how much the refs can affect a game.

That and of course JaMarcus "Me Throw Football" Russell entering the game.

I agree that all the calls went against the Raiders.

Still, that does not explain the score. It was a dominating performance by the Redskins, the refs not withstanding.

the officiating needs to be looked at, at the end of the season, i have not seen so many complaints against the decisions made, i dont think you can make the officials professional because the season is not long enough, but maybe some kind of preseason training or something, that would help, and i am afraid to say this but i am of the opionion that some officials need to care for their diet better than they obviously do, now that they can do something about, at the end of each round of games someone in new york needs to go through each video of each game and each official be informed of any mistakes or ways the official can perform their job is better. Also when, an official does something that causes a game to be swayed, he needs to be fined or sacked or dropped.

The refs were horrible

why was Davis flagged?

no one helped, no going to the ground, no props, no tanting....

a Raider LB did almost exact same dance a series before

:whoknows:

One thing is that they've said outright that the end zone is kind of a protected area, that the same action that's OK out of the field might draw a flag in the end zone.

Having said that - you're exactly right that Davis seemed to violate none of the restrictions that were supposed to draw a penalty.

I don't think Fred Davis' dance was worth 15 yards, but it was am ebarassingly stupid dance. That's the best he could come up with, What was he doing? It reminded me of Elain's dancing on Sienfeld.

Same here. I thought is was a really stupid dance, but no need for a flag at all. I think the refs called a penalty because they thought Davis was giving the finger.

The officiating does the best it can with a convoluted and contradictory rulebook.

To give you an example of what I mean, take a look at this.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/useofhands

This is a small section of the rulebook regarding the use of arms, hands and the body.

(For my podcast we were griping about the rules, and it took me less than five minutes of skimming thru the digest of rules to find this gem. The ease in which i found it is indicative of how many F'd up backwards contradicting rules there are.

From the rulebook: (bottom of the link I posted)

A player may not bat or punch:

(a) A loose ball (in field of play) toward his opponent’s goal line or in any direction in either end zone.

(Ok, that one is obvious enough. The "Fumblerooski" rule. but then...)

(B) A ball in player possession.

Note: If there is any question as to whether a defender is stripping or batting a ball in player possession, the official(s) will rule the action as a legal act (stripping the ball).

So, in plain english you can see right here that the rules FORBID a player to bat or punch a ball in another player's possession UNLESS he BATS or PUNCHES the BALL... at which point it will be deemed a legal strip.

No batting or punching of the ball in someone else's hands,,, UNLESS you do it.. then it's legal.

I would like everyone to educate their friends on this plain and siimple FACT

The Refs cannot possibly HOPE to call a decent game simply by the nature of how ****ED UP THE RULEBOOK IS.

ANY TIME the words "The interpretation of the rule on the field" is used then you have a problem. Football is a SIMPLE GAME. Holding is holding. A facemask is a facemask. A catch is a CATCH.

But not anymore. Now the ref has to INTERPRET the rules and apply them to what he sees going on. Result? Terrible officiating. Different rules from week to week from crew to crew. No one knows which end is up, because as my example directly from the rulebook shows, UP is only UP when it's UP, unless it's DOWN at which point DOWN becomes UP.

The rulebook needs to be pared down by about 500 pages. The minutia to which they have let the game degenerate to is killing it. By trying to find a rule to cover every contingency, they are destroying the essences of football.

~Bang

Archived