Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good Idea or Bad Idea: Trade Out Of Our First Round Pick?

zCommander

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Would it be a good idea to give our 1st draft pick to a team that needs it or is desperate at the QB position. I still think what we have on the roster is still good for another year. I am sure JC will stay - money talks bull**** walks so to speaks.

By doing the above we will have more picks in later rounds or even add some more for the 2011 year, where we can pickup good offensive players - and even a Safety (:silly:).

I know some of you out there probably have a spreadsheet on the draft for next year and would know better. And can tell me if I am nuts or not.

Thoughts?

It really depends on who is available and how each player is ranked.

At least two of these guys will be available :

Suh

Mays

Berry

Clausen

Bradford

Okung

Locker

If it's down to Okung and Locker, I think you might see what you can get. If we could trade down to late in the first and pick up a second rounder, we'd have one 1st, two 2nds. If we then picked OL/QB/OL with those picks, I'd take that. Or OL/RB/QB. A RB like Jahvid Best or maybe even Spiller might fall to the late 1st/early 2nd.

But it's tough to trade out of the top 5 just because of all the guaranteed money.

Would it be a good idea to give our 1st draft pick to a team that needs to or is desperate at the QB position. I still think what we have on the roster is still good for another year. I am sure JC will stay - money talks bull**** walks so to speaks.

By doing the above we will have more picks in later rounds or even add some more for the 2011 year, where we can pickup good offensive players - and even a Safety (:silly:).

I know some of you out there probably have a spreadsheet on the draft for next year and would know better. And can tell me if I am nuts or not.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't be opposed to trading down if Campbell keeps this up and the line continues to pretend that it can do something. If we get a top-five and can address the line, running back, or quarterback position in the first round, then I don't see a problem picking up an extra third-rounder.

However, I'm not really thinking about what we'll need in 2011, either, and what the draft class there looks like.

It looks like a really good year for quarterbacks, but I'd love to have an anchor of a left tackle, either guard position, a center, or a right tackle (in that order).

It really depends on who is available and how each player is ranked.

Suh

Mays

Berry

Clausen

Bradford

Okung

Locker

If it's down to Okung and Locker, I think you might see what you can get. If we could trade down to late in the first and pick up a second rounder, we'd have one 1st, two 2nds. If we then picked OL/QB/OL with those picks, I'd take that. Or OL/RB/QB. A RB like Jahvid Best or maybe even Spiller might fall to the late 1st/early 2nd.

But it's tough to trade out of the top 5 just because of all the guaranteed money.

I like this assessment.

In terms of trading out, how many teams really need a quarterback? I know, I know, one game, but I wouldn't mind keeping Campbell on board if he can continue this pace, even if it's averaging 1.8 TDs/.5 INTs per game for the rest of the year.

In this case having the 5th or 6th pick will be better than the 1 or 2.

If somehow Berry or Suh doesn't fall to us....(I know we need o-line but those two are game changing, top prospects of top prospects. You don't get those guys later generally. Okung I don't think of in the same category so I'd be fine with trading back and addressing the line later in the 1st or 2nd)

Find a team, like the Jets last year, that are in deseperate need for a QB and fleece them of their 1st and 2nd.

In the 1st take a OL, RB, or QB...whichever is BPA out of those at that pick.

For both the 2nds do the same, ignoring RB or QB if that's what you drafted in the 1st and adding OLB to the list.

I like this assessment.

In terms of trading out, how many teams really need a quarterback? I know, I know, one game, but I wouldn't mind keeping Campbell on board if he can continue this pace, even if it's averaging 1.8 TDs/.5 INTs per game for the rest of the year.

Well Panthers are one of them as per that article I linked. I am not sure how many teams in later rounds are in desperate need of a QB. But the Panthers don't have a 1st round pick this year. So this makes them even more desperate to be able to pick a QB in the 1st round. We can get a lot of picks from the Panthers.

It depends on what is there and what we are offered for the pick. If the 49ers want to move up and give us their 2 1st rounders, then sure. Only trade down if the player we want is not there or a really good offer is on the table. Don't trade down just to trade down.

I said good idea. I am not wow'ed by any of the QBs coming out expected to go in the first round. Some will probably end up being good pros, but I'm not so sure which ones.

I'd like to get back in the 1st round, get some quality OL throughout the draft, a LB, and a late round RB. I don't think JC will be back, and I think Colt gets his shot next year.

It depends on what is there and what we are offered for the pick. If the 49ers want to move up and give us their 2 1st rounders, then sure. Only trade down if the player we want is not there or a really good offer is on the table. Don't trade down just to trade down.

Let me play a devil's advocate here: What if you get a sweet deal form another team and you know you can add more picks as we don't have that many this year to begin with, what what you do there.

I still think you can get quality players in later rounds without selling the farm on one pick.

I like this assessment.

Your kidding i hope about keeping Campbell?In crucial situations he is fatal.He's not a leader,he can"t read a defense and he's a backup at best.5yrs it's time to move on.We will never win with Campbell at QB.Please no more about him, he's not a starter.We need to move in a different direction.:doh:

Only trade if

We keep our pick in the 1st and pick up an extra 2nd or better yet stay in the 1st and pick up an extra 1st in 2011

The question is does the FO think Levi Jones is the answer if Chris retires...I'm ok with Okung if Berry and Suh are gone kinda like BAL did with Oher start day 1 at right tackle and groom him to move to the left side in 2011 or 2012

Well, let's see.

1. We don't yet know what our draft order will be.

2. We don't yet know everybody that may, or may not be available.

3. We don't yet know if we'll pick up anybody in free agency first.

and...

4. We don't yet know who may, or may not be willing to trade with us.

meaning...

5. We don't unilaterally decide whether we'll do it, or not.

But, since we're playing fantasy draft, I hope we trade our #1, for two #3's, a #4, two #5's, a #6, and two #7's. And all of the players chosen with those picks become immediate starters who play their entire career here, and end up in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Your kidding i hope about keeping Campbell?In crucial situations he is fatal.He's not a leader,he can"t read a defense and he's a backup at best.5yrs it's time to move on.We will never win with Campbell at QB.Please no more about him, he's not a starter.We need to move in a different direction.:doh:

In that case we will put in Colt as the starter. We need to build the OL. Period. I have no problem with going another year without a playoff run. As long as we can do this the year after and the year after that and.....;)

With or without Campbell, we won't be a playoff team next year.

Might as well keep Campbell another year and let a rookie QB sit behind him, and maybe take over halfway through the season.

Would it be a good idea to give our 1st draft pick to a team that needs to or is desperate at the QB position. And can tell me if I am nuts or not.

Thoughts?

If Suh or Okung are off the board when we pick i think it would makes sense to trade back and pick up an extra pick.

*And since you asked; you are nuts;) if we draft another safety.

Even with Horton injured we still have another good safety in Kareem Moore that can barely get playing time.

Not to mention that at least 1 of our corners can play FS.

Let me play a devil's advocate here: What if you get a sweet deal form another team and you know you can add more picks as we don't have that many this year to begin with, what what you do there.

I still think you can get quality players in later rounds without selling the farm on one pick.

Well, last time the Skins traded out of the first to accumulate extra picks they got stuck with 3 pass catchers when the other players they had targeted in the second round were gone. So, you don't guarantee that you'll get the type and quality of player that you need.

I'm leery of Vinny/Snyder being able to properly evaluate the QB position. I don't think they know which QBs will do better in different systems. But, with only one OT with the current scouting grade to be a top 6 pick the possibility is that he'll be gone when the Skins pick (in no case should the Skins move up). If the Skins can't move back then I'd take a DT that would complement Haynesworth.

Suh

Mays

Berry

Clausen

Bradford

Okung

Locker

If we cant get Okung or Suh then we should trade it for anything we can get because the other possibilities are not worth top 5 money. Berry might be the best safety since Taylor, but not worth top 5 money, and to me that is what it comes down to in the draft. I would rather us draft 10-15 because if you miss on one of those picks you are not stuck with all the guaranteed money. I hate drafting QBs in the top ten. I am fine with it outside of the top ten though(Hopefully this will end next year with a change in rookie salaries)

Well, last time the Skins traded out of the first to accumulate extra picks they got stuck with 3 pass catchers when the other players they had targeted in the second round were gone. So, you don't guarantee that you'll get the type and quality of player that you need.

I'm leery of Vinny/Snyder being able to properly evaluate the QB position. I don't think they know which QBs will do better in different systems. But, with only one OT with the current scouting grade to be a top 6 pick the possibility is that he'll be gone when the Skins pick (in no case should the Skins move up). If the Skins can't move back then I'd take a DT that would complement Haynesworth.

If Vinny is still here I hope to God he is not stupid enough to move up in the first round. Because I and most of the fans will be pissed. :mad:

Did you miss the part where I said conditioned his stay upon his continued high-level performance?

Also, in this case, I'd stick with Brennan. I was wrong about McD5's Portis assessment, TK & Jumbo's Davis/Thomas predictions, so maybe I'm wrong about the Cult?

If we cant get Okung or Suh then we should trade it for anything we can get because the other possibilities are not worth top 5 money. Berry might be the best safety since Taylor, but not worth top 5 money, and to me that is what it comes down to in the draft. I would rather us draft 10-15 because if you miss on one of those picks you are not stuck with all the guaranteed money. I hate drafting QBs in the top ten. I am fine with it outside of the top ten though(Hopefully this will end next year with a change in rookie salaries)

Just a question about money: Who cares? If next year is uncapped, then there is no such thing as overspending.

Archived