Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good Idea or Bad Idea: Trade Out Of Our First Round Pick?

zCommander

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Honestly... there are a lot of good, not great QB's in this draft, and I don't think there is a huge difference between the high end and the low. I say we see what's available in the second round, and grab that one (since there isn't a HUGE difference in skill). In the first round, the Tackles available are MUCH better than the dropoff from the top tier to next tier (which is still good).

It depends a lot on which players we still have and what are need positions are. I would really like to get Eric Berry or Taylor Mays because I'm sick of LaRon sucking it up in the secondary. I have also heard from some College analysts that Berry can and would be willing to play cornerback and seeing as how Smoot or Rogers probably won't be back next year that would be a smart pick.

Just say no to Taylor Mays.

It depends a lot on which players we still have and what are need positions are. I would really like to get Eric Berry or Taylor Mays because I'm sick of LaRon sucking it up in the secondary. I have also heard from some College analysts that Berry can and would be willing to play cornerback and seeing as how Smoot or Rogers probably won't be back next year that would be a smart pick.

Mays at FS would be a disaster....he has no ball skills and would be worse than Landry (who isn't nearly as bad as people are making him out to be)....

I love trading down. So do the patriots, evidently...

http://wbztv.com/sports/patriots.draft.picks.2.995294.html

The Patriots were one of the most active teams on the first day of the draft Saturday, ultimately trading out of the first round completely but taking four players in the second round: safety Patrick Chung from Oregon, with a pick obtained from Kansas City in the Matt Cassel trade; defensive lineman Ron Brace, a Springfield, Mass., native from Boston College; cornerback Darius Butler from Connecticut; and offensive lineman Sebastian Vollmer from Houston.

The Patriots emerged well-stocked for the 2010 draft with 10 picks, three in the second round.

Picks 1-5 to me are fools gold. For every Peyton Manning, there are ten Ryan Leafs!

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/toptenallqbbusts080001.html

3. Heath Shuler

NFL Stats: 15 TD, 33 INT, 3,691 yards, 54.3 QB Rating

Drafted number three overall by the Washington Redskins in 1994, perhaps if he hadn’t been selected by a team in Washington DC we’d have one less slimy politician on the streets. Either way he’d better hope he is a better congressman than he was a pro QB, because he sucked from day one. After a holdout, he received a huge contract and responded by sucking for the next couple years and retired with an interception total that more than doubled his career TD mark.

2. Akili Smith

NFL Stats: 5 TD, 13 INT, 2,212 yards, 52.8 QB Rating

The first true “Workout Warrior”, Smith’s performance off the field in various pre draft workouts led to him being selected number three overall by the Bengals after only 11 starts in college. Smith held out for 27 days and ended up starting only 17 games in four years with the Bengals before being released.

1. Ryan Leaf

NFL Stats: 14 TD, 36 INT, 3,666 yards, 50.0 QB Rating

Ryan Leaf must hate the weekend of the NFL Draft because I’m sure he gets about a million interview requests from all the major networks for a “Where are they now?” type segment. Sadly, he probably still flips out on them like that poor writer in the Chargers locker room during the most memorable of several of his video recorded tirades. Perhaps if he would have borrowed Biff’s line from Back to the Future instead of freaking out (“Make like a tree, and Leaf-ve!”) he would have been a better NFL QB. He sure couldn’t have been any worse.

The early picks are seriously lacking in value. Most of the time, even though it isn't 'sexy,' It's better to trade down.

I love trading down. So do the patriots, evidently...

http://wbztv.com/sports/patriots.draft.picks.2.995294.html

Picks 1-5 to me are fools gold. For every Peyton Manning, there are ten Ryan Leafs!

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/toptenallqbbusts080001.html

The early picks are seriously lacking in value. Most of the time, even though it isn't 'sexy,' It's better to trade down.

Conversely, the best quarterbacks are taken in the first round, and very high in the first round. There are busts at every position, but the best are consistently at the top of the draft.

Everybody knows what we SHOULD do! As long as Snyder is the owner of this team, he will dictate what we do with that first pick. We all know that he will take a QB, and will probably trade up not down to get one. Maybe a thread title would be "what qb is Snyder going to take as the first pick in the draft?"

If we trade picks it won't be until draft day.

Player trades for picks could be possible. Landry, Cooley, etc. could pack alot of value...don't want to trade Cooley but if Davis keeps progressing Cooley would give us the most in a trade.

Portis and Betts will probably be gone after this season. Both will be released...Portis has little if no value now after this season.

Rabach, Rogers, Griffin, Samuels, Daniels, Smoot probably won't be back in 2010.

Replace them with picks, free agents, and younger guys on the roster.

Using what we have now I think it looks like this (assuming Brennan or someone else gets a chance to start):

1st round pick on T Okung if available or T Trent Williams

2nd round pick on C Matt Tennant

4th round pick on RB Charles Scott

5th round pick on CB Chris Hawkins

7th round pick on RB James Starks if available or G Derek Hardman

Undrafted FA: QB Levi Brown

I say trade out. Try to accrue another 1st or 2nd. There will be good QB's at the end of the first. I like the kid from Central Michigan. Dan Lefevour...should be there in the 2nd. Reminds me of Big Ben.

I've seen highlights of that Lefevour kid, he's pretty impressive and had a great college career, only QB in NCAA history with 12,000 passing yards & 2500 yards rushing.

With or without Campbell, we won't be a playoff team next year.

I disagree that it's automatic that this team won't be a playoff team next year. From year to year things change, and I can tell you right now I didn't think that they were a playoff team coming in to the 05 & 07 seasons after miserable seasons in 04 & 06. Anything is possible if the right GM, scouting department, & coaching staff is brought in. Hell with all of the turmoil this team has gone through this year, we very nearly beat the Cowturds, Eagles, & 11-0 Saints in back-to-back-to-back weeks with half the roster on IR.

Did you miss the part where I said conditioned his stay upon his continued high-level performance?

Also, in this case, I'd stick with Brennan. I was wrong about McD5's Portis assessment, TK & Jumbo's Davis/Thomas predictions, so maybe I'm wrong about the Cult?

High level are you kidding?When we need a drive out of this choke artist he's nowhere to be found.His stats are so misleading it's not funny.When was the last time when we needed a drive out of him to win.NEVER!!!Also there isn't a QB on our roster that will be a starter next year.

I've seen highlights of that Lefevour kid, he's pretty impressive and had a great college career, only QB in NCAA history with 12,000 passing yards & 2500 yards rushing.

Lefevour is an interesting prospect. From the limited amount I have seen he is a good scrambler, very accurate in his passes, and seems to go through progressions well and has poise. On the down side his arm strength isn't that great, he has a decent delivery but it isn't all that fast, and plays in a spread offense against inferior defenses so his numbers might be a bit inflated. There is nothing to say he can't be a good NFL QB. However, he is the kind of guy that would definitely take some time to get used to the NFL game. Not just the speed and complexity of the offense, but the vastly more complex and fast defenses. He is a guy you would grab in round 3 or 4 and let sit for a couple of years so he can get adjusted.

Only trade if

We keep our pick in the 1st and pick up an extra 2nd or better yet stay in the 1st and pick up an extra 1st in 2011

The question is does the FO think Levi Jones is the answer if Chris retires...I'm ok with Okung if Berry and Suh are gone kinda like BAL did with Oher start day 1 at right tackle and groom him to move to the left side in 2011 or 2012

Only issue with this is that Okung, from what I have seen watching him, and from what I've read, is more of a pure LT guy. He is more of an agility/finesse Tackle that you use on the left side. I'm not really sure he would be that great on the right side since he doesn't have as much of the bulk (6'5 305) or upper body strength to be as effective against the bigger DEs that generally tend to anchor the left side of the D line. It could work, though. Even as an LT he needs to bulk up a little probably.

If you want to draft qb, top 10 rated is your best bet. You have around 50% chance of landing good one. Afterward, it drops to the teens and lower the further you go. Once you pass top 10 rated qb, might as well not bother. Would be a wasted pick.

Seeing as how JC will be gone, trying to get rid of him since last year and he's not exactly lighting up the league, we are going to need to qb. No way, we should be trading down just percentage reason alone. Talks about drafting one in end 1st rd, 2nd rd and so forth are just wasting the pick.

If our front office were good evaluators of talent, we should trade down on principle.

Seeing how they aren't, I'd like them to stand pat, trading down only if value isn't there and another team makes it worth our while. Maybe they can get a BPA that falls like Orakpo, even if the rest of our draft is lackluster like our last.

High level are you kidding?When we need a drive out of this choke artist he's nowhere to be found.His stats are so misleading it's not funny.When was the last time when we needed a drive out of him to win.NEVER!!!Also there isn't a QB on our roster that will be a starter next year.

Very creative. I'm glad that you can look at the past three weeks and not notice a progression while simultaneously A) Forgetting that we have the rest of the games for him to keep it up or screw it up and B) Forgetting that we aren't making a playoff run next year anyway so it wouldn't matter if Brennan got a shot as long as we're building a team.

Impressive.

If our front office were good evaluators of talent, we should trade down on principle.

Seeing how they aren't, I'd like them to stand pat, trading down only if value isn't there and another team makes it worth our while. Maybe they can get a BPA that falls like Orakpo, even if the rest of our draft is lackluster like our last.

I am mixed on this. We were 13 last year and nobody knew a top-five talent in Orakpo would drop to us. That was just gift-wrapped.

This year we may very well be top-five, so I'd like to not make a pick until there's :01 left on the clock while entertaining all trades.

Lefevour is an interesting prospect. From the limited amount I have seen he is a good scrambler, very accurate in his passes, and seems to go through progressions well and has poise. On the down side his arm strength isn't that great, he has a decent delivery but it isn't all that fast, and plays in a spread offense against inferior defenses so his numbers might be a bit inflated. There is nothing to say he can't be a good NFL QB. However, he is the kind of guy that would definitely take some time to get used to the NFL game. Not just the speed and complexity of the offense, but the vastly more complex and fast defenses. He is a guy you would grab in round 3 or 4 and let sit for a couple of years so he can get adjusted.

I*think*that*we*already*have*that*guy*on*the*roster.*In*my*opinion*it*would*be*a*huge*mistake*to*not*draft*a*quarterback*in*the*first*round.*We*need*to*make*sure*that*we*make*the*right*choice*as*this*guy*could*be*the*leader and face*of*our*franchise*for*the*better*part*of*the*next*decade.*

Conversely, the best quarterbacks are taken in the first round, and very high in the first round. There are busts at every position, but the best are consistently at the top of the draft.

Strongly disagree there #21, here's why...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/152574-drafting-a-quarterback-in-the-first-round-is-it-worth-the-risk

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/story?id=1539344

http://www.seattlepi.com/football/256252_hawk19.html

Never pick a Qb in the first round!

Archived