Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Crooked NBA Ref Tim Donaghy speaks out on 60 minutes

REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE

As I said before. Congress needs to hold hearings on this. It won't happen though.

And I have to say, the summary in the OP isn't really clear. He didn't admit to cheating for his gambling reasons. He simply used inside info to win, according to him, 80% of his bets. Injuries and the like, but moreso the relationships refs and their crews had with certain players, coaches, GMs and even owners. He knew how stuff like that would influence a game; whether it be a positive relationship between the parties or a negative one. For example, the Iverson thing: Iverson threatened a ref and was fined 25k. The refs thought he should have been suspended and were basically pissed the hell off. They brought the world down on Iverson for a game or two. Calling him for BS and letting people foul him. This clearly influences the game and Donaghey, knowing this, bet against the Sixers and won.

He seems 100% believable to me. And it basically confirms my suspicion that Lebron James is a little babied primadonna protected *****. I think anyone who pays attention and isn't some awed fanboy can come to no other conclusion.

Anyway, I watched it last night and it was fascinating. Definitely have to echo the OP's sentiment that it is a must watch.

He seemed regretful, but I guarantee he'd still be betting on the games had he not gotten involved with the Mob.

Maybe. It's an addiction. You gotta hit bottom before you can go back up and fix yourself. Everyone's bottom is different. Some make it out before it gets really horrible and others, like Donaghey, have to get caught and have all sorts of bad **** happen to them. Doesn't make his recovery any less successful or meaningful.

David Stern is the worst commissioner right now, with Bud Selig a close second. Unfortunately there is TOO much discretion in the NBA. As much as we complain about refs in the NFL, I do feel that NFL refs are more consistant and the league is constantly trying to improve.

Stern needs to have an overhaul of the officiating process from a structural to personel standpoint.

No he isn't. He doesn't fine coaches for speaking out against corrupted officiating or run a questionable league

Selig isn't that bad either. The guy implemented the wild card and interleague. How could he be even close to the worst?

Commissioner rankings

Stern Worst

Bettman Second Worst

Goodell third worst

Selig best

No he isn't. He doesn't fine coaches for speaking out against corrupted officiating or run a questionable league

Selig isn't that bad either. The guy implemented the wild card and interleague. How could he be even close to the worst?

Commissioner rankings

Stern Worst

Bettman Second Worst

Goodell third worst

Selig best

Selig wanted to ignore the whole steroids issue for too long. He always has his hands in his pockets. Great, he implemented some new things. But he had the opportunity to nip the steroids scandal in the bud when it happened. He let it drag out. The whole process has just been upsurd. There are a lot of people who have lost respect for the MLB.

Goodell hasn't even begun to crawl as a commissioner. He came in and ruled with an iron fist. Do you think that was of his own doing? I feel confident that when Tags resigned, a big issue to be addressed was the conduct of players. Tags could not go start this because he has let others slide for some of the same infractions. Goodell has done a good job of discipling players. The way the negotiations play out will certainly be telling of how good he can be.

Donaghy's claims that the league is FIXING games for certain outcomes. Placing certain "officials" at games to affect those games where league wants certain outcomes. I for one believe it and am not surprised one bit. This is an entertainment BUSINESS and you need to cater to you audience for continued BUSINESS. All major sports industry do too IMO. It makes sense.

Donaghy's claims that the league is FIXING games for certain outcomes. Placing certain "officials" at games to affect those games where league wants certain outcomes. I for one believe it and am not surprised one bit. This is an entertainment BUSINESS and you need to cater to you audience for continued BUSINESS. All major sports industry do too IMO. It makes sense.

Yep. Which is why the 'Pukes get the breaks and ESPN is up their a-hole.

And why in the hell do people think this doesn't happens in ALL sports?? IMO it CLEARLY does.

I agree. I saw his interview on ESPN last night. He was describing in detail how he and other refs operated. What they were doing could easily happen in the NFL. No doubt about it.

Maybe. It's an addiction. You gotta hit bottom before you can go back up and fix yourself. Everyone's bottom is different. Some make it out before it gets really horrible and others, like Donaghey, have to get caught and have all sorts of bad **** happen to them. Doesn't make his recovery any less successful or meaningful.

I kind of agree with him, though.

Who was he really hurting by betting on the games?

Nobody, that's who.

He even said he only made about 100K on the games. Hardly a windfall.

I bet many of us posting in this thread would do the same thing given the information available.

Stern has done a good job of silencing anyone who speaks out against this. I remember Mark Cuban paid someone to come up with a huge set of data that basically showed extremely mysterious patterns for a lot of NBA refrees. The league basically threatened him to the point that it was never released.

NBA is a crooked league.

I got to say, after seeing this interview it's hard for me to watch NBA basketball the same. I mean you kind of know in the back of your head that this bull**** is going on (and like aRedskin said, in ALL sports) but that benefit of the doubt kind of puts your mind at ease. Now that it's out there and you have someone in the know saying that it's true, it's just killer. I'm watching the Grizzlies/Lebrons game right now and it's like I can see it in slow motion, clear as day. They mug Marc Gasol, goaltend Zach Randolph, nothing. Lebron is breathed on foul. Lebron takes three steps in a freaking sprint and stumble to the basket, no call.

Stern needs to do something.

I got to say, after seeing this interview it's hard for me to watch NBA basketball the same. I mean you kind of now in the back of your head that this bull**** is going on (and like aRedskin said, in ALL sports) but that benefit of the doubt kind of puts your mind at ease. Now that it's out there and you have someone in the know saying that it's true, it's just killer. I'm watching the Grizzlies/Lebrons game right now and it's like I can see it in slow motion, clear as day. They mug Marc Gasol, goaltend Zach Randolph, nothing. Lebron is breathed on foul. Lebron takes three steps in a freaking sprint and stumble to the basket, no call.

Stern needs to do something.

Rudy Gay got molested by Shaq and Varejao with 40 seconds left in the 4th. For a second I couldn't believe that it wasn't called, then I remembered that the Chosen Queen is on the floor. LeBronze gets that foul 10/10 times. **** is so weak.

Rudy Gay got molested by Shaq and Varejao with 40 seconds left in the 4th. For a second I couldn't believe that it wasn't called, then I remembered that the Chosen Queen is on the floor. LeBronze gets that foul 10/10 times. **** is so weak.

Yup. It's just so obvious.

On a sidenote, I'm sure that the same **** goes down for Kobe, DFade and Co. but the fact that Lebron still manages to cry and whine with a straight face after every freaking single thing (and the Crabaliers fans follow suite) just puts my hate for him in the stratosphere.

Archived