Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gregg Williams vs. Greg Blache

CommandB11

When the Saints played the Patriots on MNF, the Saints defense was just as much on showcase as the offense was. The defense continually blitzed and shifted so as to throw Tom Brady off and make him confused. When the Skins played the Eagles, the Skins defense shut down a good offense until the fourth quarter. The difference between the two is the coordinator. Where Blache went into prevent defense up by only 8, Williams continued blitzing up by 21. why did we get rid of him?

HAIL:helmet:

When the Saints played the Patriots on MNF, the Saints defense was just as much on showcase as the offense was. The defense continually blitzed and shifted so as to throw Tom Brady off and make him confused. When the Skins played the Eagles, the Skins defense shut down a good offense until the fourth quarter. The difference between the two is the coordinator. Where Blache went into prevent defense up by only 8, Williams continued blitzing up by 21. why did we get rid of him?

I admit, I missed the heck out of G-dubb watching him coach that D yesterday. You can't tell me that defense has more talent than we do, yet they were all over the place and bringing the heat. They made Brady look normal.

I guess GW wasn't willing to succumb to Lil Danny and Vinny's petulance, and not willing to compromise his beliefs on this team should be operated.

Where Blache went into prevent defense up by only 8, Williams continued blitzing up by 21. why did we get rid of him?

"We" didn't get rid of him. He interviewed for the head coaching position and the players all supported him. Unfortunately Snyder/Cerrato didn't think he would play the lapdog so they let him go. {I have no idea what Snyder was thinking....there would have been continuity not only on the defense but offense if Williams had stayed}. In the end though it doesn't matter - - Skins will never be competitive unless they build a solid foundation with a competent GM and scouting department working in synch with the coaching staff.

I guess GW wasn't willing to succumb to Lil Danny and Vinny's petulance, and not willing to compromise his beliefs on this team should be operated.

That's basically what i heard.

Double G Gregg was the type of guy that was gonna play pal around with Synder.

And this was more important to Synder then hiring the right guy.

I was so pissed that they made Gregg go through 10,000 interviews only to tell him no.

Synder has a dark heart. lol

I admit, I missed the heck out of G-dubb watching him coach that D yesterday. You can't tell me that defense has more talent than we do, yet they were all over the place and bringing the heat. They made Brady look normal.

I'm still trying to figure out how Brady made Williams and the Skins D look so foolish in that blowout game. Williams didn't get to coach with a lead? :whoknows:

If I remember correctly, the FO asked GW, when interviewed for the HC position, what his plan was for the team going forward. His answer was to keep things the same. Sounds like the old team continuity plan that Gibbs was also promoting. Whether the FO was right or wrong, going forward with the same plan would not have worked and did not work. Just look at us now. We would be in the same predicament only with a defense possibly ranked first.

If I remember correctly, the FO asked GW, when interviewed for the HC position, what his plan was for the team going forward. His answer was to keep things the same. Sounds like the old team continuity plan that Gibbs was also promoting. Whether the FO was right or wrong, going forward with the same plan would not have worked and did not work. Just look at us now. We would be in the same predicament only with a defense possibly ranked first.

How would it not have worked and how did it not work... we didn't go forward with the same plan.

Actually, going forward with the same plan would have been a playoff team... obviously we did NOT go forward with things the same. The "Front Office" decided to what kind of offense we would run (WCO) before naming a head coach.

Keeping Williams would have probably kept Al Saunders and we'd be even further along on offense with the players in the same system for longer.

I'm not sure why some think the Saints D wasn't as talented as our D.

They are far more talented. Their GM knows signing guys and drafting guys isn't based on a "name" it's based on talent.

Obviously.... last night... they showed that the Saints are WAY more talented in every facet of the game than us.

How would it not have worked and how did it not work... we didn't go forward with the same plan.

Actually, going forward with the same plan would have been a playoff team... obviously we did NOT go forward with things the same. The "Front Office" decided to what kind of offense we would run (WCO) before naming a head coach.

Keeping Williams would have probably kept Al Saunders and we'd be even further along on offense with the players in the same system for longer.

I think the team would have been much better, let Saunders run the O and the best quaterback at the time play.

To be fair to Blache ...

Total Defense:

Washington - 7th (298 yards/game)

New Orleans - 16th (333 yards/game)

Scoring Defense:

Washington - 10th (18.6 points/game)

New Orleans - 15th (20.1 points/game)

Sacks:

Washington - 9th (with 27)

New Orleans - 10th (with 26)

Forced Fumbles:

Washington - 8th (with 13)

New Orleans - 11th (with 12)

The only two major categories where New Orleans defense is clearly better than ours, statistically speaking, is interceptions and defensive touchdowns.

Interceptions:

New Orleans - 1st (with 22)

Washington - 27th (with 7)

Defensive Touchdowns:

New Orleans - 1st (with 7)

Washington - 32nd (with 0)

Credit indeed belongs to Williams for bringing heat effectively and playing with a lead, as many of those picks came as a direct result of QB pressure.

But again, to be fair to Blache, without even going to the film, I can easily recall at least 3 would-be interceptions that bounced off a Washington player's chest, and two of those would have probably gone for six. You can't put that on the coach.

Also, let's not forget Darren Sharper. He alone has 8 picks (more than our whole team!), and three of those he took to the house. I'll give Williams some credit for putting him in good situations, but to be fair, Sharper is having a serious DMVP campaign which can make any coach look like a genius.

I think Blache is doing a fine job, all things considered. He certainly deserves his share of the blame (there's plenty to go around for everyone!), but in my opinion, that side of the ball is clearly NOT the problem.

Oh how quickly we all forget the complaining we did about Williams "vanilla" defense. Only rushing 4, never blitzing, never generating big plays, sacks or interceptions, never scoring defensive touchdowns. When we got rid of Williams a lot of people were happy because Blatche was supposedly the guy that wanted to be MORE aggressive.

Well what changed? Did Gregg change his defensive scheme? No. He's just got a better team now. He can be more aggressive on defense because he has an offense that can bail him out of any situation where he might get burned. He's got better players to work with on his defense now as well.

Keeping Gregg would not have mattered for our defense. We'd be playing the same conservative scheme thanks to our terrible offense and lack of playmakers.

Williams was hot and cold here. One season was very good and then the next very bad. Sadly, the tradition of blowing fourth quarter leads began with him. He blew a heck of a lot of leads in the fourth quarter in dc.

He's a good coordinator, but he wasn't as great as he thought and his doghouse was better than any roach motel. I still thought he should have been our next coach, but I wasn't entirely excited by it especially because of the alienation that happened under his watch.

Oh how quickly we all forget the complaining we did about Williams "vanilla" defense. Only rushing 4, never blitzing, never generating big plays, sacks or interceptions, never scoring defensive touchdowns. When we got rid of Williams a lot of people were happy because Blatche was supposedly the guy that wanted to be MORE aggressive.

Well what changed? Did Gregg change his defensive scheme? No. He's just got a better team now. He can be more aggressive on defense because he has an offense that can bail him out of any situation where he might get burned. He's got better players to work with on his defense now as well.

Keeping Gregg would not have mattered for our defense. We'd be playing the same conservative scheme thanks to our terrible offense and lack of playmakers.

Right on.

I'd like to see what Gregg would be able to do with the personell we have on our line now. In his time here, we never EVER generated any pressure from the front four, which is something we do now. Furthermore, the tackling has got significantly worse under Blache then it was under Williams. You think Gregg would allow Laron to do what he's been doing at FS? This is the same guy that didn't start Sean Taylor right away as a rookie, and benched Adam Archuleta. Gregg held players accountable. Make no mistake guys, this defense would be head and shoulders better with Gregg Williams.

To be fair to Blache ...

Total Defense:

Washington - 7th (298 yards/game)

New Orleans - 16th (333 yards/game)

Scoring Defense:

Washington - 10th (18.6 points/game)

New Orleans - 15th (20.1 points/game)

Sacks:

Washington - 9th (with 27)

New Orleans - 10th (with 26)

Forced Fumbles:

Washington - 8th (with 13)

New Orleans - 11th (with 12)

The only two major categories where New Orleans defense is clearly better than ours, statistically speaking, is interceptions and defensive touchdowns.

Interceptions:

New Orleans - 1st (with 22)

Washington - 27th (with 7)

Defensive Touchdowns:

New Orleans - 1st (with 7)

Washington - 32nd (with 0)

Credit indeed belongs to Williams for bringing heat effectively and playing with a lead, as many of those picks came as a direct result of QB pressure.

But again, to be fair to Blache, without even going to the film, I can easily recall at least 3 would-be interceptions that bounced off a Washington player's chest, and two of those would have probably gone for six. You can't put that on the coach.

Also, let's not forget Darren Sharper. He alone has 8 picks (more than our whole team!), and three of those he took to the house. I'll give Williams some credit for putting him in good situations, but to be fair, Sharper is having a serious DMVP campaign which can make any coach look like a genius.

I think Blache is doing a fine job, all things considered. He certainly deserves his share of the blame (there's plenty to go around for everyone!), but in my opinion, that side of the ball is clearly NOT the problem.

Thanks a lot for the stats, to Greg Williams defense I would say he had to deal with less talented guys in NO than he had in DC (overall).

Gibbs told Snyder G.Williams should be the new HC. Enough said. I don't hate Zorn, but Williams is the dude that should be coaching this team. Zorn's coaching lost us the last two games. Why did he go for a 50yd FG in DAllas that was missed leading the Romo sits to pee scoring drive? Why did he get conservative after the McNabb INT?

Blache has never had the opportunity to pay with that type of aggressiveness with more than a one score lead ... when your offense regularly scores upwards of 34 points a game and can score at will ... it allows you the flexibility to bring the house and gamble on defense on a consistent basis.

Thagt being said, i still miss GW ... hell I miss Al Saunders for that matter.

We let him go because he said the QB position would be a open battle he didn't like JC, Vinny and Dan gave up too much to get him, and I don't think he would let Vinny tell him how to do his job kinda like how Vinny is doing Zorn know

I agree here -- and is why he's going to come after and try and confuse Jason in order to help make his point.

If anyone missed this article from last year it is a great read:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/25/AR2008082502867.html

Such a travesty he wasn't hired after Gibbs retired.

Best quote from the article:

Should the right opportunity emerge, Williams would consider being a head coach again (he coached Buffalo from 2001 to 2003). And Williams said he would not hesitate to answer the phone should Snyder reach out to him.

"I'll always remember the time I had there, and who knows, maybe I'll be back there again one of these days to coach again," Williams said. "I have a very good relationship with Dan Snyder, and I really enjoyed my time there, and I wouldn't discount saying I could come back through there again. I've got a lot of good years left in the NFL, and I loved my experience there and loved the Redskins and loved the Redskins' fans. It was a great experience, and to see it unfold again, well, you never know what can happen in this league."

Archived