Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's play a game. What could of been? (Choosing players we let go, draft. or sign)

kiingspadee

So I thought it would be fun if we went through say from 1999 and till now and choose CURRENT PLAYERS we really could have gotten. By this I mean no crazy scenarios like we could have traded these picks to get this guy. It means they would have been on the board when we picked, was a free agent, or was on our team and could have been a huge help to us.

Rules:

Must be a CURRENT PLAYER

Must have been a free agent or a rookie

If draftee he must have been on the board when we picked

Must be a player we CUT and is doing wonderful elsewhere

James Harrison - LB (he was an undrafted rookie. Don't see why we wouldn't have had a shot at getting him)

Adrian Peterson - HB (we went #7 we picked #6 and got Landry. At the time we had Sean Taylor and we could have had this other safety named Ryan Clark also)

Ryan Clark - S (we should have resigned this man)

David Akers - K (ok TECHNICALLY we had him in 1998 but we waived him in 99 should have held on to him)

Desean Jackson - WR (I love me some Malcomb Kelly I will say that first. I wish we would have went Devin Thomas Desean Jackson Fred Davis. Gotta give it to Desean he is a deep threat and would have filled PR/KR for the years to come)

Now this next one is the biggest WHAT IN THE ****ING WORLD WERE WE THINKING!

DREW MOTHER FING BREES - QB

Sad we might've been able to get him...and we did not.

Its hard to say what could have been. If we took one player off the board, would another be available in the next rounds? Who would be on what team, how would the draft have changed? If we signed or didn't sign a player what players on our team or others might have stepped up and started to shine? If a player played with the Redskins would they have been given the opportunities the team that took them gave them? If a player played in a different system from the one they were placed in, would they have produced the same?

Its hard to say what could have been. If we took one player off the board, would another be available in the next rounds? Who would be on what team, how would the draft have changed? If we signed or didn't sign a player what players on our team or others might have stepped up and started to shine? If a player played with the Redskins would they have been given the opportunities the team that took them gave them? If a player played in a different system from the one they were placed in, would they have produced the same?

As you see the players I chose we COULD HAVE drafted was ON THE BOARD when we drafted. AP and Desean was ON THE BOARD when we picked Landry and Fred Davis

I'll take the '07 draft and one player, Adrian Petterson.

We turn down the best back currently in football bar non, for LaRon Landry.

The choice of a stud RB to compliment Portis, who like now only had Betts and Cartwirght backing him up; or add to a safety tandem that already had #21, and some pretty capable, all be it not top class, players alongside him.

Only Cerrato, or some would say Coach Joe was running things, could mess that up so badly after AP surprisingly fell into our laps one pick above the Vikings.

Hail.

*Edit* Shoot, you listed him in the OP, my bad. Let me think again. He was just the first off the top of my head.

*Double Edit* 'K, let's stick with first round picks, and go back two further years to '05, and taking Carlos "hands? WTF are THESE for? Btw, pass my that 'cushion' " Rogers at 9; when Aaron Rodgers was still on the board, not to mention three stud LB's in DeMarcus Ware, Derrick Johnson and DC's own Maryland product, and 'Skins fan, one Shawne Merrimen, who was openly as good as campaigning to be a 'Skin.

All at a time when Scott was nearing the end of his career, so the need for a future QB was pressing; and outside of LaVar, who was himself turning into an A1 narcissistic dick, we had little to nothing at LB. Corner was also a need, but not so pressing as to use the fricking #9 pick on a flyer on Carlos when we still had a low one to play with.

Hail.

Just to play along I'll say:

QB: Drew Brees

RB: Ray Rice (No Fred Davis)

FB: Mike Sellers I guess...

WR: DeSean Jackson (No Thomas)

WR: Anquan Boldin (No Taylor Jacobs)

WR: Santana Moss

TE: Chris Cooley

T: Chris Samuels

G: Steve Hutchinson (No Rod Gardner)

C: Matt Birk (Free Agency)

G: Randy Thomas

T: Jammal Brown (No Carlos pick)

DE: Brian Orakpo

DT: Albert Haynesworth

DT: Amobi Okoye (No Landry pick)

DE: Aaron Schobel (No Fred Smoot)

OLB: Julian Peterson (No Lavar Arrington)

MLB: London Fletcher

OLB: Antonio Pierce

CB: Champ Bailey (No Portis Trade)

CB: DeAngelo Hall (meh.)

FS: Sean Taylor If only :'(

SS: Ryan Clark

K: David Akers

P: Hunter Smith...?

Why not?

You could also say we don't use the Campbell pick and draft Roddy White, Lofa Tatupu, Logan Mankins, etc. I'm trying not to reach so much...I mean anybody could say OF COURSE, DONT DRAFT Arrington, Samuels, Lloyd Harrison, Mookie Moore, and Quincy Sanders in 2000!!! DRAFT TOM BRADY!!!

I mean thats so obvious to us now, but really Tom Brady wasn't on anybody's radar in 2000, it's absurd to think that we actually had a realistic shot at valuing Brady higher than everybody. I mean honestly, he was taken at 199 overall, Todd Husak at 202 had as much of a chance of being one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time in 2000 as far as we knew.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Who knows? Conjecturing really is futile... For sake of argument, say we drafted Adrian Peterson. What if he turned out being a bust?

The Sean Taylor Laron Landry safety combo was regarded as one of the best tandem. It's unfortunate that Sean passed away!

For sake of argument, say we drafted Adrian Peterson. What if he turned out being a bust?

For the sake of argument, say we did draft Adrian Peterson...

Say we did. When CP was our bonafide starter. When he was (almost) everyone's favorite Redskin. When single person here thought he would break John Riggins rushing record. I mean seriously...

What do you think our reaction would have been if we drafted an RB when we already had the best RB in the league? Don't you think people here would be going ape **** if we drafted Adrian Peterson?

That's why this whole "we could have had Adrian Peterson!" argument irks me. No we couldn't have had Adrian Peterson! Get real. Every damn person would have been on the first train out of Washington if we did something that stupid.

Oh, by the way, Adrian Peterson would have been a bust here. No doubt about it.

For the sake of argument, say we did draft Adrian Peterson...

Say we did. When CP was our bonafide starter. When he was (almost) everyone's favorite Redskin. When single person here thought he would break John Riggins rushing record. I mean seriously...

What do you think our reaction would have been if we drafted an RB when we already had the best RB in the league? Don't you think people here would be going ape **** if we drafted Adrian Peterson?

That's why this whole "we could have had Adrian Peterson!" argument irks me. No we couldn't have had Adrian Peterson! Get real. Every damn person would have been on the first train out of Washington if we did something that stupid.

Oh, by the way, Adrian Peterson would have been a bust here. No doubt about it.

Here's the thing - Portis was known as a back with a lot of mileage and we had no TRUE home run threat running back at all. So had we drafted AP I wouldn't had been mad - we would have someone who can be a change of pace back and take his place.

I'll take the '07 draft and one player, Adrian Petterson.

We turn down the best back currently in football bar non, for LaRon Landry.

The choice of a stud RB to compliment Portis, who like now only had Betts and Cartwirght backing him up; or add to a safety tandem that already had #21, and some pretty capable, all be it not top class, players alongside him.

Only Cerrato, or some would say Coach Joe was running things, could mess that up so badly after AP surprisingly fell into our laps one pick above the Vikings.

Hail.

*Edit* Shoot, you listed him in the OP, my bad. Let me think again. He was just the first off the top of my head.

*Double Edit* 'K, let's stick with first round picks, and go back two further years to '05, and taking Carlos "hands? WTF are THESE for? Btw, pass my that 'cushion' " Rogers at 9; when Aaron Rodgers was still on the board, not to mention three stud LB's in DeMarcus Ware, Derrick Johnson and DC's own Maryland product, and 'Skins fan, one Shawne Merrimen, who was openly as good as campaigning to be a 'Skin.

All at a time when Scott was nearing the end of his career, so the need for a future QB was pressing; and outside of LaVar, who was himself turning into an A1 narcissistic dick, we had little to nothing at LB. Corner was also a need, but not so pressing as to use the fricking #9 pick on a flyer on Carlos when we still had a low one to play with.

Hail.

Not sure if you have been watching but as of right now Chris Johnson > Adrian Peterson

Here's the thing - Portis was known as a back with a lot of mileage and we had no TRUE home run threat running back at all. So had we drafted AP I wouldn't had been mad - we would have someone who can be a change of pace back and take his place.

I don't think Portis would take well to a first round draft pick to spell him. I don't really care what Portis thinks, but I think his big head would have been crying to daddy Snyder had they drafted Peterson. Hell, maybe that's the reason they didn't draft Peterson.

I have seen Portis decline for a couple of seasons now, but in that draft class I don't think there was a person on this board who would have wanted to draft a RB with our first round pick (myself included, McD5 included).

Also, 3 seasons ago, Portis wasn't really considered a back with a lot of mileage.

As far as this "dream team" goes, I'm not sure Clark's a good fit at SS. He plays well at FS in Pittsburgh.

I loved ST's ball-hawking his last season. :( But I think we'd be better off with Clark at FS, Taylor at SS.

The way Sean Taylor improved his last year, he'd make Polumalu look like an also-ran!

Ryan Clark was offered a contract by the Skins. He choose the Steelers because they offered more money.

Antonio Pierce was offered 25 million, he signed with the Giants for 26 millions. 26 is more than 25 million. Figure it out. And don't forget that the only reason that Pierce got a shot was because Barrow had a knee injury.

As far as this "dream team" goes, I'm not sure Clark's a good fit at SS. He plays well at FS in Pittsburgh.

I loved ST's ball-hawking his last season. :( But I think we'd be better off with Clark at FS, Taylor at SS.

The way Sean Taylor improved his last year, he'd make Polumalu look like an also-ran!

Thats just it. Williams wanted a Archuleta too play around the line of scrimmage in his 46 defense, which Clark is too small to play.

Archived