Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So What if Zorn/Campbell year 3 does happen?

NoCalMike

I know this thread won't be popular, but what really is the best thing for us in 2010?

I find it hard to believe that a new head coach and a new starting QB in 2010 is going to make us an instant playoff contender, and it seems like the majority on this board are asking for that in 2010.

Even if say the Skins signed a veteren QB as a stop-gap measure, like a Jeff Garcia type player, that is only going to take us so far, especially with a new coach under a brand new system in which the entire team is going to have to learn all over again like we have seen almost every season for the last ten years.

I can't honestly sit here and try to say Zorn and/or Campbell are the answer to anything, but I can see Campbell returning next year as the starter due to there really being no better option even if a QB is drafted by us in 2010. I am not looking to get a rookie QB shell-shocked trying to play behind this O-line. If anything I think with a top pick that we are headed for, we might wanna trade down to get quanity as we need depth and a lot more of it on the offensive line.

Call me crazy but I see our offense getting better at moving the ball. With all the injuries happening this season, it is forcing our young draft picks into the game when maybe the coaches were hesitant to put them in so many packages before. We are seeing guys like Thomas & Davis show that when they get the ball in their hands they can elude defenders and make big plays. We have seen guys like Betts/Cartwright/Aldridge/Mason step up and show that while Portis in his prime was a beast, these days he probably isn't worth all the money he makes anymore. These guys are getting just as much production as Portis did behind the current O-line.

When Zorn was hired and brought a modified WCO to this organization most experts said right off the bat that it takes three years in the system to get the maximum production out of this offense.

I am doubting Year three of this coaching staff is going to happen, and if everyone is willing for this organization to take another step back in 2010(in order to eventually get good again) then I am all for it, but honestly I don't see a much better option for 2010 itself, than to try and see this thing through.

(begin throwing rotton tomatoes) :(

well we know that starting campbell is pretty much conceding on offense. history shows that when campbell starts, this offense is a joke.

if we have a new coach and were gonna struggle, id much rather struggle with a rookie or with brennan. im just fed up with watching campbell. not only does he lose, hes just no fun to watch. if im gonna watch a bad team, i wanna have some "wow" moments.

no sense in sticking with him if were going to be rebuilding. new oline, new QB, new coach, new scheme. we gain absolute 0 by sticking with campbell for year 800.

No throwing tomatoes here. Zorn is already gone because Snyder and Vinny cut his balls off. Campbell is gone too. If he isn't traded or released, he will make enough noise so that they do it. They tried to replace him twice that we know of last off season.

I just don't see any of it happening.

Question should be is Zorn / JC the future? If yes, sign them to a long term contract and build around their talent. If no, what's the point of keeping them around for another year. The faster we rebuild the sooner we get back to SB contender status.

I wouldn't mind at all.

I don't think people are asking themselves the right question.

Do you really want to bring in another new regime? 'Cause it seems like we've had the same players forever with different head coaches/GM's.

I put more blame on the old vets on the team that just show up to get a paycheck than I do Zorn or his staff. Could they be better? Hell yeah. But jeeze we all talk about patience all the time, yet we aren't ready to give Zorn over 2 years? I've said it before, Zorn was't given the keys to a Superbowl contender or even a playoff team. We all thought he was, but looking back I don't think so.

And I can promise you Zorn wants him a new QB, too. He knows JC ain't the guy for the WCO, but he didn't have the choice when he signed on. You think Zorn really wanted to keep JC this past offseason and Vinny Cerrato was just doing his own thing trying to bring in new quarterbacks? I would imagine Zorn signed off on that idea instantly.

Give 'em time, relax. We're the same fanbase that cries about how our FO always goes for the big splash, and yet we're trying to run off a guy to bring in a big splash. Just blows my mind.

Question should be is Zorn / JC the future? If yes, sign them to a long term contract and build around their talent. If no, what's the point of keeping them around for another year. The faster we rebuild the sooner we get back to SB contender status.

We must rebuild slowly then, because we havnt been legit SB contenders in almost 20 years...

I am doubting Year three of this coaching staff is going to happen, and if everyone is willing for this organization to take another step back in 2010(in order to eventually get good again) then I am all for it, but honestly I don't see a much better option for 2010 itself, than to try and see this thing through.

Campbell year 3 makes sense.

Zorn year 3 would have made sense prior to him being stripped of the playcalling duties, but he's been walking the green mile since then.

Imo their is no wiggle room on Zorn, he's done.

Also the up-tick in the performance of the offense and especially Davis, Kelly and Devin11 are particularly damning evidence that Zorn wasn't doing a good job as the playcaller/defacto OC.

Also, Zorn imo hasn't exactly been getting the job managing the games either.

Keep the WCO maybe?

Keep Campbell maybe?

Keep Zorn, nope can't do it.

We must rebuild slowly then, because we havnt been legit SB contenders in almost 20 years...

That's fine. Notice, I said "If yes, sign them to long term..." Personally, I don't believe Zorn or JC are long term answers. Zorn hasn't show me anything in 2 years. JC has shown little in 5 years. It's time to move on and rebuild.

To answer your original question, if we were to endure year 3 of Coach Zorn/Campbell, then we should start right now in tempering our expectations and begin to be realistic about what the outcomes could/probably will be.

Jason (although he is certainly improving) just doesn't have IT to win. On a team that rarely takes chances, he misses the few that we do take. He doesn't have the confidence in himself or the ability to win a game by himself.

Coach Zorn doesn't seem to have IT either. His in-game management and decision making is extremely questionable. His clock management is awful. His half-time adjustments are non existent. And considering the fact that he no longer calls play, he cannot even exude confidence or get the team ready to play on Sundays.

Both are nice guys . . . but with both of them back next year, we will surely have a mediocre season at best.

...I am doubting Year three of this coaching staff is going to happen, and if everyone is willing for this organization to take another step back in 2010(in order to eventually get good again) then I am all for it, but honestly I don't see a much better option for 2010 itself, than to try and see this thing through...

I would be willing to take a step back in 2010 if, in doing so, we were set on course to become an elite team. But, none of the options being talked about interest me. I'm not hog wild about Jim Zorn, but his coaching has come on strong after a slow start this season. I thought the game plan that he and Chris Meidt put together for the Eagles was outstanding.

His critical strategic calls this season have all backfired, but they were the right calls and they showed guts, in my opinion. The risks he took were well-calculated, and when he went conservative, he did it at the right times.

The second-guessing on his playcalling was crapola. Dan and Vinny hung Sherm Lewis around his neck along with the O-line albatross. Given what he had to work with, he hasn't done badly.

Jason has grade C talent. We shouldn't replace him until we have someone who can do a better job.

Archived