Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Nobel PEACE Prize Winner Abstains from Landmine Ban

Redskins Diehard

Because they are completely indiscriminate. For every soldier they kill, they nail dozens of innocent civilians, sometimes many years later.

So how many hands do you want to tie behind our back? They are effective in what they do, deny the enemy from operating in certain areas.

So how many hands do you want to tie behind our back? They are effective in what they do, deny the enemy from operating in certain areas.
Well shoot, why don't we just nuke Afghanistan and Pakistan. Sure, we'd kill millions of innocents, but we'd also kill bin Laden.

:doh::doh::doh:

I think the Korean DMZ is the main driver on this. I don't know of anywhere else that the US currently uses land mines. Considering the political hay that will be made of the decision, there must be a fairly good reason for not doing so.

I wonder what the real ramification of the US not signing onto this treaty? Is this giving the implicit green light for other nations to use land mines? Or if we had signed on - would we have, by doing so, signed on to clear out the Korean DMZ?

Aren't some cluster munitions designated as landmines?

Certainly the same effects that I imagine this treaty are attempting to prevent. Again, I think our newer cluster bombs submunitions have the capability to self-detonate after a certain amount of time.

Deploying landmines for defensive purposes isn't the problem; failing to remove landmines is the problem. I don't have a problem with the United States military using landmines because, at least in the recent past, it removes the landmines after they have served their useful purpose.

EDIT: Obama just can't win with some people. Had he signed the treaty, people on the right would have blasted him for placing our soldiers' lives at risk. Now that he has opted not to sign the treaty, people on the right blast him for being a hypocrite (see, e.g., the thread title).

Because they are completely indiscriminate. For every soldier they kill, they nail dozens of innocent civilians, sometimes many years later.

Mines can be used in a discriminate manner such as the Korean DMZ. They are mapped, maintained and the fields are guarded.

Archived