Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

pft: Sellers: only "snitches" report concussion symptoms

twenty-eight

I agree with Sellers.

If you're teammate is going to tough it out, then you don't sell him out. Let your teammate make decisions about his health.

It's not a question of "toughing it out." Concussions not only can be extremely dangerous but have obvious affects on your ability to make decisions. Saying that it's the concussed player's decision to make is kinda like saying it's the drunk guy's decision whether he should drive or not (and yes, concussions have at least as much of an impact on mental facilities as a few beers).

I don't believe players lose game checks for injuries, only suspensions

I stand corrected.

However not trying to argue details here but don't most players also have stipulations within the contract that rewards for certain triggers being met? For example a guy like Portis has a contract written that says for the year his base salary is 1 million but he has escalators that could make that years contract worth 5 million if he does things like make the pro bowl, rushes for 1000 yards, etc. These escalators can not be met if the man's on the sidelines because another team mate rats him out to team Doctors which is why I think the chances of someone feeling as if they were "snitched" on comes into context and invites negative team effects to the locker room.

I hope that either Sellers had a concussion when he made that statement or he was telling a joke that nobody got.

I'm really surprised by the reaction to this.

Would you want the team to implode because you had players running to Doctors so they can get playing time?

Imagine M. Kelly going to the Dr's and saying Moss has a concussion? What would Moss think?

Imagine Betts doing that to Portis?

Imagine Davis doing that to Cooley?

Guys your being to naive here. Diagnosing a concussion is not an exact science. The recovery time for a concussion also varies between person to person. And players are not qualified to say who's got a concussion and who doesn't. NFL players are not Doctors. I really don't see why any one would want NFL players running around back stabbing each other like this? I see nothing good coming from this

Are you serious? It's not like coach Zorn is going to automatically say "Okay Moss you can't play because Malcolm is suspicious!" The player would obviously be diagnosed by a doctor.

Are you serious? It's not like coach Zorn is going to automatically say "Okay Moss you can't play because Malcolm is suspicious!" The player would obviously be diagnosed by a doctor.

Dead serious

You think concussions are something new to the NFL? Think the older teams with much less protective equipment, much less protective rules for hits in the NFL didn't get concussions? Of course they did. How many guys in the 80's, 70's, and later sat out games because of concussions? Not many. Players played through them all the time.

Today they are being looked at more seriously then ever before. Now the NFL wants to turn teammate against teammate to spot them. Why aren't the Dr's or the coaches spotting these themselves? Ask yourself that.

See the NFL coach is in a rock and a hard spot. The coach has to win games or he is unemployed. The coach want's his best players on the field so he can win more games. Think the coach is going to stop playing a guy who says he can play because of a risk to that players long term health? The NFL isn't checkers, it's a hard hitting potentially deadly game. Everyone who's played the game knows the costs it can take on a body. The last time I remember a team telling a player not to play because of health risks was Ryan Clarke this year when Pitts went to Denver. The last time Clark went to Denver the dude almost died because of sickle cell. But it was a big freaking deal for this role player the week he was going to play there and he eventually did not play because the team allowed him not to. Guess who pays the Dr's? The team. It's not in the teams or coaches best interest to not have the best players on the field during a game.

Who's best interest is it's then to sit a player because of a concussion a week before? The backup players are the only one's who win when a starter goes down. So the NFL is trying to make the backups rat out the starters so the NFL forces themselves to take concussions seriously. NFL players have to trust one another. Inviting snitching into a locker room will tear it apart. Just look at how snitching hurt us in 2006 and how snitching hurt the Cowgirls last year. It's not a good thing and the NFL should know better.

Do you blame him? This is a business and players stand to lose a lot of money if they take a game off because of injury. Think again guys, what do you think would happen if Sellers went to the coaches saying he thought Portis had a concussion that cost Portis a game check? It would rip the team apart and destroy the locker room.

Players aren't doctors, they shouldn't be asked to rat out each other like that, they aren't qualified.

Sellers made a poorly worded comment but addicted correct on what Sellers meant...

its not the fellow teammates job to "snitch" that soemone is still hurting or not.. its the team doctors that needs to make that decision...

if Portis wants to tough it out and the doctors clear him then Portis or whoever the play probably has his reasons... It might be an ego thing or more than likely he doesnt want to be labeled as injury-prone. Injury-prone label for a player hurts their market value significantly.

So what Sellers is saying is that dont put him or anyone else in that position where they could say one thing or another that might significantly hurt someone's abililty to earn money down the road... let the team doctors do that since thats what they are paid to do.

Maybe it's the same mentality as wanting to get the job done, right before closing, when you have to stand on a small table or chair to do what you want to, instead of just waiting till the next day to come back out and do it right with a ladder.

I'm sure we all have examples in our personal lives, though as we get older we make the smarter choice (myself included).

One of the best shows on TV is "The Deadliest Catch" on Discovery Channel. I shouldn't have to tell you what it's about, but guys risking their lives for a job isn't exactly new, and those crabbing guys aren't millionaires (well maybe the skippers are...)

Mike's comment is dumb and stupid, but understandable to me. What would be your choice if the job was all you had, and any snitching meant you lost the only high-paying job you could reasonably expect?

I agree with Sellers. He didn't word it as well as another person may have, but he gets the point across.

If you are in the NFL and you love the game, you want to play. You want to play as much as possible, regardless of injury. You will play knowing that you have an injury even though you know that that injury could be aggravated. We have lauded Portis as a gamer many times in the past.

I'm sure that if Portis wants to play, and thinks he wont aggravate his injury, he wouldn't want another player pleading for him not to play because of his health. Same as if Sellers had an injury that he thought he could play through, he wouldn't want another teammate insisting that he doesn't. It's all a part of the team mentality. Those guys on your team are your brothers and you don't rat brothers out. You don't snitch.

I realize that a concussion can be a major injury and can have lasting effects if not treated properly but I think that you guys are too quick to judge Sellers. He is a part of a team and being a part of a team means standing up for your teammates.

Do you blame him? This is a business and players stand to lose a lot of money if they take a game off because of injury. Think again guys, what do you think would happen if Sellers went to the coaches saying he thought Portis had a concussion that cost Portis a game check? It would rip the team apart and destroy the locker room.

Players aren't doctors, they shouldn't be asked to rat out each other like that, they aren't qualified.

:doh:

Players still get paid if theyre injured.

This doesn't make any sense. You notice that a teammate is Ill so you don't speak up for fear of being a snitch. I live in the hood and I wouldn't even do that! Your health comes first. This Is not narcing out a bad guy... It is a friend who doesn't notice he is sick.
Problem is, a concussion is a brain injury that can affect one's judgment.

Plus, players aren't making the diagnosis. They're just letting the team officials know that they think the player has a concussion so they can get further treatment.

The whole "tough it out", "rub some dirt on it" mentality is what causes these types of players to have a lot of psychological and physiological problems down the road. This is a game that players play for just a few years out of a lifetime. If there's a chance that it can affect their lives down the road, it's the responsibility of a teammate/friend to stick up for them, especially with a concussion that can decrease one's judgment of their own health.

It's not a question of "toughing it out." Concussions not only can be extremely dangerous but have obvious affects on your ability to make decisions. Saying that it's the concussed player's decision to make is kinda like saying it's the drunk guy's decision whether he should drive or not (and yes, concussions have at least as much of an impact on mental facilities as a few beers).

It's not anyone else's responsibility to decide whether I'm healthy enough to play in a game than a doctor. I'm not sure how many players on the roster have a medical degree.

I'm a bartender and I have swine flu. I'm going to work later, so don't tell my boss I'm sick, okay?

That's a terrible analogy. Playing with concussion-like symptoms only puts one person at risk.

Oh no! Portis might lose several thousand dollars while he only has $50 million to live on! How can he manage?

As for tearing the team apart, how do you like the idea of Portis playing with a concussion, getting another one that is twice as worse, and thus ending his career on the spot. I'd rather have the locker room fall apart (which wouldn't happen) than have Portis be a vegetable and not be able to be a father to his children. In the end, this is a game. Concussions are real life.

And how do you think the locker room would react to Portis getting hurt again and ending his career? My guess is not well.

It's not anyone else's responsibility to decide whether I'm healthy enough to play in a game than a doctor. I'm not sure how many players on the roster have a medical degree.
It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize someone may have a concussion when the guy is staring out into space after temporarily losing consciousness on a play. By the way, knowing Reed Doughty, he probably has a medical degree (he actually does have a kenisiology degree).

Which is why they aren't making the diagnosis. They're just reporting their concern so the player CAN be seen by a doctor.

Archived