Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox news at it Again

FLRedskins

B you're in the TV production business right? I assume that when raw footage is capture then it's place on a computer hard drive and the retrieve when needed. How does one find what footage is needed off a server with thousands of hours of raw footage? Word search? How accurate are those searches?

Radio actually.

Computer hard drive is little bit of a misnomer because the files are so big. My typical radio piece is about 40 megs for about 6 minutes and that's if I produce it in mono. Slightly less than double for stereo. Video is even more insanely space consumptive... especially if you want to keep it at broadcast quuality. So, a lot of it kept on a mainframe or downloaded onto discs or other hard storage. The stuff that is long term archived and easiest to get at is a compressed file and fine for the internet, but not as good for the real thing (although, many people don't have the equipment to hear the difference)

To the real question:

In my experience, things are first divided by show and date and then by subject matter. So, in order to retrieve something on your computer you'd have to access the _______________ blank show files, go to the archive files (because what's in DAVID or the stuff being processed today or the new stuff is in a different place), click on the date you want and then go scrolling through what played on that day, in that time, on that show.

Older material is also placed on a different drive. When I'm producing a new radio feature, the sound I've captured will be on my personal drive. All the old stuff will be on shared drives.

Now, tv's a little different in that you may have a bunch o producers working on a piece or sharing the same footage for multiple shows that day whereas where I work, my sound is my sound and I'm responsible for reporting on that issue and creating all the ways in which we'll use it. So, there could be confusion there.

FYI to all the MSNBC sycophants who claim they never do anything wrong...........

BTW, you must be living in the alternate reality that Fox has created, because I don't think anyone here claims that MSNBC never does anything wrong. Unlike the Fox News sycophants who cannot bear to criticize their one beloved source of "infotainment". BTW, looked in a mirror lately?

Oh, and I saw the MSNBC bit, and that was bad to include those pics, but then I don't claim that MSNBC is worth listening to.

Show me one post where people defend MSNBC. There may be one but I've never seen it. Fox on the other hand...well the word rabid comes to mind.

Rabid is about right, they come rolling out of the woodwork to defend Fox News and like Bang said, they scream "I know they lie, but I like they lie their telling me." Rather than calling them to a higher standard they act as codependents who cannot bear to criticize the one upon whom they have come to depend lest that one actually leave them.

B you're in the TV production business right? I assume that when raw footage is capture then it's place on a computer hard drive and the retrieve when needed. How does one find what footage is needed off a server with thousands of hours of raw footage? Word search? How accurate are those searches?

It's as accurate as any database, which is accurate as along as proper information is used when cataloging and retrieving.

Seems to me something as simple as the date would solve these mistakes of huge crowd videos being shown in place of actual videos where crowds not being so big would lessen the impact of the story... or the intended message of the story.. "huge crowds support our way of thinking!".. "Huge crowds turn out to buy Palin's book!".. It's a total lie, and with ALL of the quality control that libel and slander suits cause media organizations to keep in place, it is MIND BOGGLING that any sane adult can see how often this happens and not realize it is purposeful, it is propaganda 101. the number of these kinds of classic propaganda "mistakes" should at the very LEAST make you wonder how they can be SO slipshod in their quality control. (Which of course, would call into question their very competence at their job,,, or at least it would in just about any other profession. You'd never hire a plumber who made this many "mistakes" .. and if you did, after the fifth or sixth or seventeenth mistake, you'd decide he simply wasn't very good at his job and look for someone else.

(interestingly enough, we lambast Iran and North Korea when they provide us with doctored images that make crowds appear larger, or missiles to multiply. Kim Jong Il makes crowds appear larger in his releases so he can convince his ignorant masses that millions of his sheep support him. It's a lie designed to further the illuisions his regime wants us to see.

So... What is the difference? Why is it easy to decry when Il does it, but not so easy when Fox does the same exact thing?

A date.. you know,, the day the footage was shot.. so easy to catalog that it is done automatically upon saving ANY bit of information to ANY hard drive ANYwhere. So easy to catalog that the camera shooting it records it automatically. Simply look up the date of the footage. Easy as pie, and no more "embarrassing mishaps".

I must say again, I simply cannot believe that reasonable adults can see this happen time and again and STILL look for excuses. I realize it must be hard to know that the "answer" to the liberal bias is just as bad as all your worst nightmares about "the other guys".. but it's time to pull the heads out of the sand and figure it out.

~Bang

Wouldn't be so ironic if a "liberal" producer or whomever is in charge of putting together the on air video is responsible for these f-ups.

FYI to all the MSNBC sycophants who claim they never do anything wrong...........

Fox News rival MSNBC caught heat last week for using altered images of Sarah Palin on the air, for which they later apologized.

I googled for this story and all I get is several pages of links slamming FOX news. Mobocracy rules. :doh:

Can you post a link?

It's so funny that people get so worked up over Fox News... they have about 3.5 million viewers a night - on a great night (and it seems half of those are lefties watching for Fox to make a mistake - get a life!).

Out of 300+ million people in the country - thats a very small % of the country... it really isnt a big deal.

You really shouldnt get so worked up over this stuff.

It's so funny that people get so worked up over Fox News... they have about 3.5 million viewers a night - on a great night (and it seems half of those are lefties watching for Fox to make a mistake - get a life!).

Out of 300+ million people in the country - thats a very small % of the country... it really isnt a big deal.

You really shouldnt get so worked up over this stuff.

As a citizen, it's pretty much all of our responsibility to make sure we're not getting the wool pulled over our eyes, whether it's ten percent of us or fifty percent of us.

History teaches us lessons that should help us know better.

~Bang

It's as accurate as any database, which is accurate as along as proper information is used when cataloging and retrieving.

A date.. you know,, the day the footage was shot.. so easy to catalog that it is done automatically upon saving ANY bit of information to ANY hard drive ANYwhere. So easy to catalog that the camera shooting it records it automatically. Simply look up the date of the footage. Easy as pie, and no more "embarrassing mishaps".

~Bang

Well that seems simple enough but what if one does not know a date of the subject matter of what they are looking for? Let's leave the Fox example out of it for a moment. How does one fine the accurate raw video footage for lets say a crime scene in Minnesota filmed by an affiliate 8 years ago? Lets say you think you have found it how is it verified? Is this a relatively simple excersize? Time consuming? I just have no idea.

I googled for this story and all I get is several pages of links slamming FOX news. Mobocracy rules. :doh:

Can you post a link?

Actually, oddly enough Jon Stewart did a piece on Sarah Palin's book in which he pointed out MSNBC used altered images and called them out for it much the same way they did Fox last week.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-november-18-2009/daily-show--the-rogue-warrior

ARedskins, I can't think it should be too difficult, You can create a database out of your Microsoft access that will do just fine.

Let's say using your example, if you catalog the date, the location (minnesota) and the file type (crime scene) you'd be able to reasonably search through millions of files to come up with items that fit those parameters. Then refine it and voila,, it really shouldn't take but a few minutes.

In a database especially it's all about how you catalog it in the first place. If your fields are adequate, you can cross reference and find anything very quickly.

But if you stuff everything in a folder marked 'crowd scenes" you're going to have a problem,, and frankly, in this day and age, a problem that is completely inexcusable.

Personally, I think they know exactly what they're doing when this stuff happens. Fox fluffs crowds, MSNBC pretends to not know those are photoshopped pictures.. They both know that in basic propaganda the apology really doesn't matter. It's never as loud as the point originally made by the intentional "mistakes".

~Bang

Well that seems simple enough but what if one does not know a date of the subject matter of what they are looking for?

Oh I don't know maybe looking at something from say November 2009 rather than the summer or fall in 2008. Come on stop serving as the Fox shill.

Personally, I think they know exactly what they're doing when this stuff happens. Fox fluffs crowds, MSNBC pretends to not know those are photoshopped pictures.. They both know that in basic propaganda the apology really doesn't matter. It's never as loud as the point originally made by the intentional "mistakes".

Exactly right Bang, the impact is made when the propaganda runs the first time and the apology is normally days later and stuffed at the end of a broadcast when people have already turned the channel. They know what they are doing and I think its insulting to treat their viewers and the public in general as fools, but then if they wanted to properly inform us then they wouldn't act like such hacks. They don't care about the truth, they only care about a narrative that sells to the people they want to watch their programming.

Archived