Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playcalling: Zorn vs Sherm was vinny Right?

Soup

BLC has a good point. But what Sherm does do is make our rookies look a lot better. JZ never trusted these guys. That one play Thomas made was so cool. I think where much better team with Lewis at least were progressing.

That doesn't have anything to do with the plays... except the screen pass, but Zorn decides who plays... JC can check down to whomever he reads.

The 4th down call yesterday was terrible and it had Zorn's imprint all over it. He was supposed to be the one to make 4th down calls, correct? I can't understand why we wouldn't run it up the middle with the relative success we were having running to our guards.

I agree that the ship has started to gradually level itself since we made the switch, but we've got a couple more things to work on before I'm happy.

From a pure Vinny standpoint and keeping my opinion out of this, I don't see how he wins either way. At least based on what we read, Vinny was the guy that pushed Zorn hard to be head coach and before that as offense coordinator/play caller.

So its not exactly Vinny fixing someone else's mistake but fixing his own. So I don't get the Vinny to the rescue drill. It would be like me in management position hiring an employee who was struggling, then I realize my mistake and replace him with someone more competent -- I doubt the boss would consider me a hero for it.

Give gave up the playcalling to Jack Burns and no one knew about it. The point is we didn't need call a press conference to announce it.

However, it does help to have a decent offensive line and Levi Jones helped out tremendously along with a healthy Betts vs. an injured Portis.

Its not a question of if Sherm is better, its the way it was done - with no class and to embarass Zorn. It shows that we're still a team that goes by the wayside. We keep getting lucky and thinking that thats better than planning ahead. Zorn shoulda had somebody on his staff that knew the WCO from the get-go.

I was just reading through this thread and wondered why no one had said this yet.

Yea, is Vinnys move getting some results...yes

Is Vinny putting a band-aid on HIS mistake (Hiring Zorn)...yes

Did he go about hiring Sherm in a classy way I would expect from a GM...no!!!

And that is the problem. Also, I swear to God if we turn this season around a little and that is the reason for Danny to not make big changes, I'm going to punch someone in the face...May need to tell my ole' lady to go stay with her mom for a few months:hysterical:

:dallasuck

I was just reading through this thread and wondered why no one had said this yet.

Yea, is Vinnys move getting some results...yes

Is Vinny putting a band-aid on HIS mistake (Hiring Zorn)...yes

Did he go about hiring Sherm in a classy way I would expect from a GM...no!!!

And that is the problem. Also, I swear to God if we turn this season around a little and that is the reason for Danny to not make big changes, I'm going to punch someone in the face...Made need to tell my ole' lady to go stay with her mom for a few months:hysterical:

:dallasuck

Sorry,but thing s will probably stay the same here..PD&Wynn are still playing in the NFL because of us,WE should attempt to trade AC,and LB this season for anything but we will not,are youngest starting Dlinemen is Haynesworth WTF ?

if we go on a winning streak Zorn stays Skins love HOPE

Hoping players will be better with this or that,Hoping that Coaches will learn more with time...Holding on is the Redskins way of life:(

Its not a question of if Sherm is better, its the way it was done - with no class and to embarass Zorn. It shows that we're still a team that goes by the wayside. We keep getting lucky and thinking that thats better than planning ahead. Zorn shoulda had somebody on his staff that knew the WCO from the get-go.

Agreed. But someone should have been smart enough to make this assessment in the off-season. It was glaringly obvious the last 8 games of 2008 that Zorn & Sherm Smith were in over their heads.

Also, JC hit 9 different receivers on Sunday. That is classic WCO and shows that with better game planning/play calling, this offense does have some life.

The switching of Sellers & Yoder (as mentioned in another thread) brought some life to the run game and got Yoder a TD on Sunday. It appears a different set of eyes watched previous game film and came up with a new scheme. It remains to be seen who made this decision. But, it's the type of personnel change that we didn't see happen in the last 8 games of 2008 and the 1st 8 games of 2009.

There are other examples of new player sets and new plays that seems to indicate Lewis is drawing up plays to make use of player strengths. It's classic Joe Gibbs style of coaching where new packages are introduced based on the opponent (and maybe how players are practicing during the week).

But it also isn't that unique. I remember Fassel being forced to give up his playcalling duties as HC to the Giants. I remember Billick being forced to give up his playcalling duties for the Ravens.

im terrified of this, although i still dont think it happens. the broncos are an overrated team that remind me a lot of us last season.

we scored 20 points on offense. everyone needs to remember that the league average is still around 24 points a game. so while sherm may be doing a good job, were still a below average offense with him calling plays. so is there improvement? one game so far.

when we start laying 30 on the board a few times and consistently score 24+ points ill buy that lewis was some good answer.

:rotflmao:

I understand why you're terrified of us playing well...

Keep moving the bar.

Get real ... Skins scored only 20 points discounting gadget play. They left two TDs on the field. Campbell is not going to do any better for rest of the year ... if that.

We've looked better offensively in the last three weeks than we have in the previous 12 games...and, you're bashing on JC.

You boyz are certainly entertaining and consistent.

But it also isn't that unique. I remember Fassel being forced to give up his playcalling duties as HC to the Giants. I remember Billick being forced to give up his playcalling duties for the Ravens.

I think both times were right before they were fired?

We've looked better offensively in the last three weeks than we have in the previous 12 games...and, you're bashing on JC.

You boyz are certainly entertaining and consistent.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:IF JC was more entertaining then there wouldn't be any agenda. :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:;)

There was another thread on the exact same subject yesterday.

No Vinny was not right. It was a dumb management decision regardless of the outcome. Go back to the Atlanta game. The Skins were terrible. They starting looking better AFTER Betts came into the game full time. Why? Because Betts was able to run the ball and take some pressure off the QB. The Skins are now getting first downs on running plays and can string together longer drives. With longer drives they can call more of the plays that they practiced. In the Denver game the OL played better than against Atlanta and the Skins racked up 170+ yards. It has nothing to do with play calling and everything to do with execution.

IMO - Portis should stay out until he is healthy enough to practice during the week. If he's healthy enough to practice then he can do better than Betts. But a banged up Portis is not better than a healthy Betts.

I think both times were right before they were fired?

No, I think Billick coached for a few years after and Fassel actually made his Superbowl run after being relieved of his playcalling duties. I'm pretty sure that they each had a few more years after the switch (Of course, they also had more of a history of sucess at the time of the switch than Zorn has had. They also played it off better. Zorn acted like he'd been hit by a truck and that it was a fatal backstabbing which is partly why most of us reacted the way we did to the switch (even though many on this board had been screaming about his play calling for months)

I don't see a difference. We didn't win because of playcalling. They're winning despite the front office trying to humiliate Zorn.

One win does not = winning but yes I agree. And im a firm believer that Betts + Rock > Portis and I dont think its a coincidence that the offense has been and looked different since he got injured.

Archived