Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Playcalling: Zorn vs Sherm was vinny Right?

Soup

I did a search and couldn't find anything on the topic:

I'm liking the way the offense is getting better week to week under Sherm. I don't have the stats but the redskins are running better, and scoring more points. Atlanta and the broncos have two solid defenses and the redskins seemed to move the ball well enough on them. So, Vinny was right???

You can add that portis is no longer the runner that he once was and IMO should be the second RB behind Betts but having a patched up Oline and key injuries with Cooley and Samuels the offense has played a heck of a lot better since Sherm has taken over.

!7 points last week, and now 27 points (how long has it been since the skins scored 27 points?)

Even though most of us bash vinny, especially me, the decision to bring in Sherm looks like its working

I have a theory that Sherm not knowing the players is actually helping things. We are getting everybody involved because there is no lack of trust in the young guys anymore. Ten different players caught passes today.

I mean the way this offensive line was just patched up and then all the injuries to key players, I would have thought a team like the broncos would just roll over us. It makes you wonder why, when healthy, this team couldn't do anything to bottom feeders like the lions (Who have only won 1 game), rams, bucs, etc.

This is a really odd team

What worries me is, What if they go on a small run and get to 8-8. What then? Are they now going to keep Zorn and Vinny?

im terrified of this, although i still dont think it happens. the broncos are an overrated team that remind me a lot of us last season.

we scored 20 points on offense. everyone needs to remember that the league average is still around 24 points a game. so while sherm may be doing a good job, were still a below average offense with him calling plays. so is there improvement? one game so far.

when we start laying 30 on the board a few times and consistently score 24+ points ill buy that lewis was some good answer.

I think we'd have to. One more year with a better offensive line.

and hopefully a QB who can throw the ball accurately and on time.

the future for the OL is highly murky

levi jones needs to finish the season healthy,but I'm sure he appreciates the redskins giving him a chance to play again. if he stays healthy and keeps playing at a high level dude needs to be given a nice 3-4 year extension.

chris samuels should only play again if there's no heightened risk of spine injury.

the next few weeks will decide alot for the OL.

IMO Chad Rinehart did fine in his previous starts compared to other people on the OL who were HEAVILY struggling, Rinehart just got scapegoated. I really think some backroom politics is involved with how rinehart got mysteriously pulled.

Was there ever a doubt? Of course Vinny was right. It was slimy the way it all went down, but don't doubt for a second that it wasn't justified.

Zorn came with good credentials as a QB coach. Truth be told, I could probably be convinced that he could grow into being an effective HEAD coach. Zorn's failing hasn't been as head coach so much as being terrible at the OC/playcaller role.

Combine an atrocious playcaller with an atrocious QB, and you get the suck that has been the Redskin offense. Lewis, even after being retired 5 years and never having been considered a great playcaller, himself, is still a huge improvement over Zorn. That's how bad Zorn is at it.

The guys still have to execute the plays called. This week they just did it much better. Also JC only got sacked twice this game!

There's a dfference though, Sherm sets up big plays better. IF Campbell would have landed that throw to moss when he was WIDE open the redskins would have had over 30 point againt a solid Defense. With Zorn a lot people can see what he's doing. With Sherm you can see a real game plan some strategy and it worked.

Kinda stinks about the first five games though, maybe Vinny should have made the move sooner and we could get back the loss to the lions and panthers

Vinny took a shot in the dark. A desperation move, that in the short term seems to have improved the offense. For me, even if it works, the idea was poor, and the odds were against the decision panning out.

In essence if this works long term, i.e. for the rest of the season, leading into who knows what next year.

He got lucky.

We were extremely run heavy this game and Sherm doesn't call the running plays. Our running game was the key to this victory.

I tend to agree with you but in this game we saw a lot of new running plays which are not traditional WCO running plays and ones we did not see under Zorn. It is apparent something changed over the past week with regard to the play selection in the run game and should be obvious now to the team when they look at film that this team is one that plays better under the Gibbs running style than it does under Zorns. After all it was the same running game we saw today that got us off to the 6-2 start under Zorn last season.

The question that remains to me is why we considered the change to a WCO in the first place. Did Dan & Vinny just feel handcuffed to Zorn from the last interview process and go with the WCO out of desperation or did Zorn sell Snyder on a WCO and how many pts he could put up and trick our brilliant F.O? Either way a VP of Football Operations should understand more about how such a drastic change in philosophy would affect the team and even if Dan was the one calling the shots Vinny deserves to lose his job for being a puppet. This team need someone to come in with a spine who can tell Snyder how it is and not be steamrolled into idiot decision while at the same time kiss his ass enough to keep his job.

the 4th down call wasn't very good

but the Red Zone calls have been better IMO

Think I remember hearing that Zorn still calls the 4th down plays for whatever reason, be it HC decision to go for it hence the stretch play on 4th down.

I am thoroughly convinced Zorn is way out of his league with regard to playcalling and all he knows is the WCO stuff he learned under Holmgren, think the F.O is starting to wise up and made a good move removing Zorn as the primary playcaller but it still doesn't excuse the decision to pick the guy in the first place over someone more experienced. The position Vinny holds currently as Danny's main "voice in his ear" makes him responsible for this teams miserable start, Vinny still has to go imo.

I've told everyone that the play calling was much improved even when we wernt winning. You can see that we have been put in positions to win and our offense has improved steadily every week.

I don't think it's the plays... I think Zorn has more time to concentrate on the head coaching duties.

Very few Head Coaches call plays.

Archived